Heavy/Scratch: PotP Grimlock Thigh Extensions(via new knees)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hot Shot., Jun 10, 2018.

1. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Copypasting this from my store page because E3's tomorrow and I need to go to bed:

This is a pair of replacement knees for PotP Grimlock that add more length to the thighs for better proportioned legs. This also has the benefit of adding range to his tail bend, which lets the dinosaur mode stand up straighter.

Installation involves the complete disassembly of the legs. Keep track of which screw comes from which hole because they can be slightly different sizes(the thigh screws in particular vary between the top and bottom hole). Afterwards you have to pop the tiny glue points loose on the lower legs by carefully prying them apart(IIRC they're in the front of the knee, the shin, and the back of the calf), which may snap a small connection peg or two off. This won't matter if you use a little bit of glue on these pegs when you reassemble the legs, which I recommend for a better closure.

Make sure the black combiner port clip is properly inserted and held in by your finger during reassembly. It has a little lip that needs to slip through the rectangular hole between the peg slots and grab the outer side slightly. This is extremely important if you want the combiner mode to still work.

Thigh-Extending Knees for PotP Grimlock by energonhotshot04 on Shapeways

DSCF3141.JPG
    DSCF3141.JPG DSCF3142.JPG DSCF3143.JPG DSCF3137.JPG DSCF3136.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Punchy

Punchy Well-Known Member

Awesome. That's more how I remember Grimlock.

3. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nice! you might even get away by adding another 1/8" but IDK the extent of your testing if you tried various lengths and this one turned out to look the best. But yeah looks sweet.
    I dont plan on using mine for combining, is it possible you might consider making some panels to cover up the combiner ports for a cleaner look?

Edit: oh yeah ive seen youre stuff on shapeways, i see you have the replacement forearms. Do you have test shots of those?

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks. I actually haven't tried any other lengths. I did some estimates with a ruler and thought 6.75mm looked about right.

I've thought about it, but I think they'd make the tail look worse by accentuating the blocky area the tail tips clip into. From a side view, at least.
    Nah. I wasn't expecting the printing price to be quite as high as it is, so I shelved them for a time when 3D printing larger models is cheaper and listed them for sale in case someone else wants to put up the money to try them. Someone actually did buy a set back in April but I haven't heard anything about it.

5. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    well, it doesnt necessarily have to be a flat panel, it can bevel out in a curve. Follow the curve of the feet going back towards the port section and have the panel bevel out like 5mm, so it would make the bottom of the foot area a bit wider giving it a G1-esque feel. its a shame i cant post images since im new here lol it would help me better explain posting a sketch of what im seeing in my head.
    EDIT: im talking strictly for a panel in robot mode to cover up for the port at the feet.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Excellent! I always hate short thigh proportions.

7. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    here's what i was trying to explain in regards to the panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    So much better! Great job!

9. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    very nicely done 2 thumbs way way up . :thumb :thumb  what you did is a good alternative to the PE-23 kit and probibly cheeper too. but im still going to make my thighs longer using the PE-23 kit that i have pre-ordered .

10. Mister Gribsby

Mister Gribsby QT- series automaton

I second such a concept.
    Welcome to the site, ErickCruz. I am myself only a few months old on this site. Keep the ideas running. Thank you. may your membership and continued existence be enjoyable.

11. eipunx

eipunx Well-Known Member

Very interesting, would love to see some size comparisons with other voyagers to get a better feel on the change in height