Potp’s greatest shelf warmer?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Terradives, Jan 11, 2018.

?

What will be potp’s greatest shelf warmer?

1. Optimus primal

7.7%
  2. Optimus prime

2.6%
  3. Rodimus prime

1.5%
  4. Evil rodimus

14.0%
  5. Predaking

0.4%
  6. Starscream

49.1%
  7. Grimlock

1.1%
  8. Hungrr

0.7%
  9. Elita 1

5.9%
  10. Inferno

17.0%
  1. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

I think Optimus primal hands down. He’s a character that has had multiple releases. But this line is riddled with choices. The millionth Optimus? Evil hot rod? Inferno starscream grimlock and hot rod have all had characters made in the last few years. Predaking has had third parties due it probably in better scale to chug collectors and been knocked off. So far, anything greater than a deluxe has been lackluster besides hungrrr for myself.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime. Do people want yet another toy especially with the hideous Orion Pax head design?

Titans Return Prime and Megatron shelf warmed for ages in my local toy shop.

Of course if Predaking is another expensive box set he probably will too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starscream or Inferno, I guarantee it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    Starscream

• Like Like x 5
  5. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Here in the Philippines the Dinobots and Leader class figures pretty much sold out (helps that I see people buying multiple slugs and swoops to make Volcanicus early)
    Now you can only find Dreadwind, jazz and Starscream, at least until stores get their restock.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Draco Dracul

Draco Dracul Well-Known Member

I'm betting Inferno as he's a mold that's already been used so much already.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (New line is out for roughly twelve minutes) Folks,

• Like Like x 25
  8. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    Okay, let's be clear here: You can't go by what people on this board want and don't want. We need to go by what casual fans will want.

That means anything new and different (and I don't mean gimmick, I mean design wise)? It will sell well. Anything that is massively popular? Will sell well. Anything that hasn't had a major release (excludes MP) for a while will sell well. And the reverse is true: Anything that feels like it is a retread won't sell well. Anything not popular won't sell well. And anything that hasn't had a major release won't sell well.

Finally, there will be three other variables for the score: An up to +2 bonus for playablility with other figures and an up to -2 penalty for repaint, and -1 for pricing.

So let's go down the list.

-Primal. It is new/different. Primal has a good fan base. And he hasn't had a mass market release in years. Score of 3

-Optimus Prime. Removing the gimmick I don't think he is new/different enough. He has a large fan base. But he has had a mass release VERY recently. Score of -1

-Rodimus Prime. Same as Optimus, there isn't that much appeal, difference-wise. He does have a fan base. Was released cheaper in Titans Return. Score of -1

-Rodimus Cron: Same as Rodimus Prime. He does NOT have a fan base, casual wise. Never had a release. Penality for being almost a straight repaint of Rodimus gives us a -3 Score

Predaking: It is new/different as we have only 1 Titan Combiner so far. He has a fan base. He hasn't had a modern release in a while. A -1 penalty for pricing brings him to a score of 2

Starscream: It is a standard Starscream so nothing to different there. He has a big fan base. He has gotten several releases. But a Plus 1 for being a torso. Score of 0

Grimlock: It is a robot Dinosaur and the first G1 Grimlock in ages. He has a massive fanbase. He hasn't had a G1 release in years. Plus 2 for being part of a combiner team with set numbers. Score of 5

Hungrr: It is a robot two headed dragon. That said he is a lesser known character. He hasn't had a release in ages. Plus 2 for being part of a combiner team. Score of 3

Elita-1: A fem bot; could go either way so it is a wash for me, scoring-wise. Does not have a strong fanbase. She hasn't had a figure in ages. Plus 1 for being a combiner torso but a 1 penalty for being a retool of Starscream. Score of 0... HOWEVER, if it turns out she is getting all the other fembot limbs that Score will go to 1

Inferno: Another combiner firetruck torso so not that different. Does not have a big casual fan base. HAsn't had a new release in ages. Plus 1 for being a combiner but -1 for being a repaint. The score for him is -1 but could go up to 0 or down to -2 depending on how much of a retool/repaint he is and if he gets a dedicated team or not.

So in the end the scores, from most wanted to least, are:

Grimlock
    Primal/Hungrr
    Predaking
    Starscream/elita
    Optimus/Rodimus
    Rodimus Cron

THe answer is Rodimus Cron. he has not cross play with the line's combiner limbs. He is almost a straight repaint of a figure that JUST came out 2 waves earlier. And that figure had what many see as a better figure just last wave. Rodimus Cron is your Shelfwarmer.

EDIT: And for those curious... Skarpnel for the Legends followed by Windcharger, Dreadwind for the Deluxes, and either the entire first or second Prime Master wave.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  9. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    Dunno. We just started getting em in where I'm at. Optimus Primal if I had to guess. Last time we had these guys out Primal and Rattrap shelf-sat forever. Regular Optimus and Starscream are perennial favorites. Any girl bots not named Strong Arm and Windblade are snapped up in a heartbeat. Even RB Quickshadow hardly ever appears.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Starscream is pretty unsightly, but Optimus is a character that I am sure nearly every kid has a toy of and is an immensely expensive toy at that. I can see either of them not doing very well, but Starscream might just clear out faster due to his lower price point and kids may well not care about the looks...

Unsure about Primal too. Out here, Beast Era stuff clogged the shelves. The smaller Target that stocked Rattrap had twelve of them shortly before it closed out. Year of the Monkey Primal wasn't popular at Ross either. Maybe he will come out as a shelfwarmer, or he could just be cool enough to kids in order to inch by.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say Leader Optimus Prime: definitely a skip for me since Orion Pax hanging off his back creeps me out and all that gray plastic. I remember how everyone complained about DOTM ultimate OP and it looks way better than POTP.

The line is barely out, I don't think shelf-warming is an issue.

12. Tinbot

Tinbot Striving for lvl 99

WIndcharger!

13. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I can't really speak for the unreleased figures, but at least for wave 1, my money is Starscream. My reasoning is flimsy since locally POTP have only been sighted at one Wal-Mart and they haven't exactly been overloaded with POTP stock, but the local Wally got one case of POTP voyagers almost 2 weeks ago. Grimlock has long since been bought, but that one single Starscream has been sitting on the shelf next to some leftover TLK stuff all that time not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Nitro Zeus

Nitro Zeus Well-Known (?) Member

Not on the poll, but it's not looking too hot for the Deluxe Decepticon Jets. Starscream seems pretty likely, too, so I've voted for him.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I'm already seeing it with Screamer. Last two places I saw that had voyagers only had 2 Starscreams each.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Arufonsa

Arufonsa Well-Known Member

I am willing to bet Inferno. Could turn out to be wrong, but willing to money on that at least.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm still worried that Primal may end up being a shelf warmer given that Beast Wars hasn't gotten mainstream exposure in years compared to G1 and the fact that the previous attempts at BW updates didn't sell well. Sure Primal's getting exposure lately given that he won the POTP vote and all that but still I wish Primal won't be the one that shelfwarms the most.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Starscream for sure, 1 Grimlock to 3 Sreamers per case will see to that.

19. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jazz

• Like Like x 4
  20. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I thought voyagers still sold in caces of two...

• Like Like x 1