Potential Lawsuit? Zack Hemsey vs. Steve Jablonsky?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cth, Jul 11, 2011.

?

Is it a rip off?

1. Yes.

28.7%
  2. No.

40.4%
  3. Other (Describe in thread)

3.7%
  4. I like polls.

27.1%
  1. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

Someone has a massively inflated ego. Though admittedly I'm more amused by people still writing Hans Zimmer's surname as "Zimmerman". I don't think he's ever gone by that name.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Meh, I'm not fussed if it is or if it isn't. I'll sit back, relax and listen to both of these great tunes while their composers and their lawyers duke it out.

3. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

pretty clear it was lifted.

4. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

who cares...no music is original nowadays...

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    exactly.

I very much doubt this is some sort of unconscious influence, or intentional homage done out of respect. This is what you get when you start out with an original piece and try to figure out how much you have to change in order to claim it as your own work.

well if it was your work being ripped off, maybe you'd feel different about it. It's very much up to the artist himself to decide how upset he is about it.

And personally I'd prefer if we'd gotten something fresh and new rather than some derivative imitation.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Mountains and molehills, people.

7. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I just can't wait till this all dies out. However if Hemsey sues for lost revenue he isn't entitled to its going to be in the news for a while. The sooner this ridiculous story dies the better.

8. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    yeah, who gives a damn about artistic integrity anyway.

9. Dimo1138

Dimo1138 Member

Wow. It's almost blatently a rip-off.

I know little to nothing in regards to copyright laws, but, as a musician I feel Hemsey is justified in most of his statement. There is a line where "inspired by" and "stolen" are devided, and Jablonsky courts it.

Also, saying things like "everything's been done already" or "nothing's original anymore" are indications of laziness and lack of imagination.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I guess you could say

*sunglasses*

Hemsey got mind heisted...

Yeeeeeaaah!

No? How about...

Looks like Jablonsky

*sunglasses*

Caught him while he's dreaming.

Yeeeeaaah!

Ok, maybe not so great... Point is, they both are good, I am just imagining Optimus flying in and blowing shit up!

11. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I think alot of people in this thread are getting too caught up in the semantics here.

Could Hemsey have been less of a dick in this open letter? Yes.

Does that make him wrong? No.

These two tracks are just waaaaaaaay too similar to be accidental, especially with the admission that Michael Bay was using the Inception soundtrack as a placeholder while editing. It seems like people here are letting the fact that they're bigger fans of Transformers than Inception cloud their judgement.

Also, for the record, Hemseys original blows Jablonskys out of the water, no contest.

12. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    Stolen or not, Hemsey's attitude that film composers with the backing of production companies, record labels, and/or full orchestras are automatically "leeches," who are "selling [their] soul to make a dollar," is extremely arrogant, elitist, bull jive. Sure, he's pissed and I would be too if I thought my music was being ripped off but that, "I'm better than you because I'm consciously choosing to be independent," attitude isn't going to win any sympathy from me.

Then again, I just hate elitist assholes. *shrugs*

13. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    Absolutely.

People were saying that twenty, thirty, years ago, and that hasn't stopped actual innovators from finding new things to say and new ways to say it. Possibly for centuries people have been trotting out that old cliché. And every year they are proved wrong.

I think it's more about honesty and integrity than elitism. If you're gonna put your name on something you create, that should stand for something.

14. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    Maybe his anger is muddying his point, but I certainly garnered a very arrogant, dismissive attitude toward professional film composers and musicians with corporate backing, as well as an equally-not-so-subtle attitude that being outside the studio system (read: independent) automatically makes you more honest. Don't get me wrong: I certainly agree that there should be honesty and integrity among artists (if you drew inspiration from or outright copied another artist's work, they should receive credit and/or royalties, as is legally applicable) but Hemsey's attitude in conveying that isn't winning any personal sympathy from me. In other words: I'm perfectly sympathetic to his cause but not him personally.

15. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    First I will start by saying Hemsey comes off as an arrogant ass in that quote. He just strikes me as someone who thinks he's better than others. Is it impressive that he didn't have assistance composing that piece? Yes it is. Does that mean that he is better than Jablonsky who used an orchestra? Hell no.

Second, in my opinion, he is right. I hear too many similarities to say that it isn't either heavily influenced or a flat out rip off. Sure he was pissed off, and if I were him I would be too, but he could have written his response a little better. However regardless of anyone's feelings about how he comes off that should not be a factor in the validity of his argument. Adding and changing a few things doesn't mean anything, they are just too similar. It's like saying the iGear coneheads aren't copies of Masterpiece Starscream. If he takes this to court I don't see how he would lose. When I played both parts together it was like I was listening to one song, not two. Playing them separately didn't change my opinion.

While I like "It's Our Fight better" I just can't use that as an excuse to ignore what I hear as the facts, they are too similar for one to not be influenced by the other. Disagree with me if you want but I'm just calling it like I hear it.

16. Starscreamownz

News Credits:
    Everything you said was reasonable except for this statement. That is ridiculous. Whichever one is better is strictly a matter of opinion. Believing it isn't is heavily foolish.

Hemsey is out for attention and the best thing Jablonsky can do is ignore this guy. He doesn't have to explain how he did what his boss asked him to do

"Make me a score like this"

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

And this.

And this as well.

*insert Orson Welles clapping gif*

:lol  Hilarious, man.

What I get from this article:

1.) Hemsey appears to raise a legitimate issue.
    2.) He states the facts and provides proof in a professional, well-mannered way.
    3.) I begin to see a "DOU-" appear out of the haze.
    4.) He begins to passive aggressively bash Jablonsky/other composers like Jablonsky.
    5.) A wild "CHE BA-" appears on the horizon.
    6.) More potential jabs at Jablonsky being a sellout.
    7.) A lone "G" gallops towards me.
    8.) Nothing remotely hinting that he'll take legal action.
    9.) What began as a well-tempered and perfectly logical series of thoughts, turns into something angry, pompous and cruel. Implying that Jablonsky will get some more scores down by listening to Hemsey's newest album? Harsh.

And more importantly, I think both pieces are very cool and awesome. :bay  :) 

18. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I don't think this is a rip off really. Yeah it is similar, (and for most who don't know this already, yes Jablonsky is a student of Zimmer) but if the dude is really complaining, he needs to realize that there is almost 4 more minutes of music in Jablonsky's piece. I write a lot of music myself, and I find myself coming up with riffs that sound very similar to the stuff I listen to. It happens. I've also written stuff and then heard music from something else I've never heard before and then be like..."that sounds exactly like what I wrote." Music has been around for a VERY VERY VERY long time, people are akin to certain styles, chord progressions, and modes. Even though there is almost a limitless combination of notes, chord progressions...etc., Eventually there will be nothing new of that in music. It just happens, get over it Mr. whatever your name is music guy.

19. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I must solve the code...

*Montage music*

I have unlocked it's secret!

DOU-CHE-BA-G

Douche bag! It's all clear to me now, I must warn everyone!

*Runs outside yelling "Douche bag!"*

20. Starscreamownz

News Credits:
    Thank you very much.

If Hemsey wants to be a whiny bitch and try to get attention from this, let him. Freedom of speech is a hell of a drug and I hope he enjoys his jealousy of Jablonsky for actually making a career for himself.

And yes. in a cruel way I wish hemsey was reading my posts.