Potential Lawsuit? Zack Hemsey vs. Steve Jablonsky?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cth, Jul 11, 2011.

?

Is it a rip off?

1. Yes.

28.7%
  2. No.

40.4%
  3. Other (Describe in thread)

3.7%
  4. I like polls.

27.1%
  1. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    !: "It's Our Fight" by...Steve Jablonsky???

2. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mor-tal kom-baaaaattttt!!!!!!

3. rook

rook Well-Known Member

Didn't Zimmerman mentor Steve?

Im still waiting for that RotF full score soundtrack...

4. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

This is like Vanilla Ice all over again. If one note is different and thrown into the mix, then it's "different" enough to not warrant copying. Both were awesome movies with great soundtracks. "It was ding ding ding duh duh ding ding ting, where the original was ding ding ding duh duh ding ding. See, it's different!" -Paraphrased from Vanilla Ice and the whole extra ting scandal back in the day.

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i feel like its more coincidence than anything

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Wow, Zeck Hemsey is a stupid, arrogant douchebag.

All I can read on this text is "I AM AWESOME AND JABLONSKY SUCKS ASS." repeated over and over and over.

The music DOES have similarities, but as he himself said it: He doesn't OWN the rights to those drums, damn'it, it's similar, IT Is inspired, but for God's sake, every time someone use a strong drum on the song he'll whine about plagiarism.

Pretty much the only similarity are the drums beating, the rest of the song isn't similar.

All I can say from this is: Fuck you Mr.Hemsey, fuck you.

7. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

My opinion on what happened: Inception was a huge hit, if not last year's biggest movie, and for months you couldn't turn on the TV without hearing the thundering bass of Mindheist. I think Bay was really turned on by that trailer while he was shooting DOTM, and came into work one morning and said "I think in this shot we ought to have Optimus flying down through Chicago tearing down Cons as he goes and it's all set to that Inception music. Who cares if it's copywritten. It's not like the guy's gonna sue us or anything."

8. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    This all the way.

9. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    What does Zimmer (not Zimmerman) have to do with something between Jablonsky and Hemsey?

I like both songs. They each have their own style. I really hope this doesn't go anywhere because I will get tired of hearing about it fast.

10. OptimusPrimeX47

OptimusPrimeX47 Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous. This is like saying Cold Stone copied Dairy Queen by making an ice cream cake.

I've listened to both now multiple times, it seems like the only similarities are at 0:51 and 0:57 and even then the instruments and sounds used are totally different.

Hemsey is just mad because Jablonsky made a better score.

11. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think it's a rip off but I still like Mind Heist more.

12. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

It's very similar, no question.

I don't think it'll amount to anything however. If anything it just shows a lack of imagination on Jablonsky's part. Or more likely Señor Bay was heavily influenced by Inception anyway - visually, I thought he'd definitely cleaned up his act in terms of the usual 'light-bathed sweatiness' we're used to in most Bay films, in favour of a cleaner 'Nolan-esque' look. Looking at the sky scraper scene I could definitely feel Inception's influence there.

He probably thought it was 'awesome' and wanted to emulate certain bits, including Jablonsky's job on the score too.

13. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

No it's literally one musician claiming that another musician stole his music... which was copywritten. Last time I checked ice cream cakes weren't copywritten. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Dairy Queen originally lifted the idea from some housewife out in Wisconsin.

I've actually listened to the "It's Our Fight" track quite a bit over the last week and while the notes and octaves are mostly different, the tempo and structure are extremely similar to Mind Heist. You've got the accelerated violin tempo which moves into a sudden low-line bass rhythm (the BOOOM...... BOOOOM..... BOOOOOM) followed by a really similar sounding choral piece. Plus, I don't buy the "it must be a coincidence" theory. Mind Heist is an epic score that really came to prominence after last year, and I think Bay was drawn to it.

14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This.:cool: 

15. rook

rook Well-Known Member

Well, I'd like to think Zimmer has a certain quality to his work that should be reflected in his students. So you know, things like this wouldn't be an issue.

Which is isn't but we're getting to a point where every media is starting to cannibalize each other to a degree.

16. jmldspt

jmldspt Bad guy turned good guy

In my opinion, the similar parts (with the drums mostly) are a rip-off. However, I prefer Jablonsky version and I would say that he improves the raw material of Mind Heist.
    But hey, that's just my thought. :) 

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won't deny the similarities, but in a post which begins as a simple acknowledgment of them unnecessarily turns into bloated haughtiness.

18. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Hemsey is an asshole. He literally can't make up his mind on this. Not to mention "Its our fight" sounds very little like Hemsey's "mixed with sound samples" Mind Heist. (Not that theres anything wrong with doing so when you don't have access to the materials. Hemsey makes it out as if its some kind of established art thats better then using a real orchestra.)

Hes just out for attention. Everybody ignore him.

19. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

20. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Hemsey has blown this out of proportion. It's like if I drew a picture of a dinosaur and began suing every other paleo-artist out there for drawing dinosaurs.