By Generation: Posting Tips - Dealing With Images

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by REDLINE, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Posting Tips/Dealing With Images

Hello guys. I hope you all are enjoying the new home of TFW2005's Radicons. I know that there is a LOT to take in, but just give it some time, once you've had time to become acclimated, you will be wondering how we ever managed to be one single forum!

I'm writing today because I wanted to help clarify the changes to how we deal with and use images for our threads. As I've said before, you can no longer simply take a link from an outside website (like photobucket) and add on IMG tags on each end of it to get photos into your posts. The reason for this is, we want this to also be a great resource site, and if you look at the oldest of our threads, you'll encounter some of them that no longer have working images in them. By having all images hosted here, on our server, this will no longer be an issue. :) 

This new way to deal with images can be confusing to some people, so I thought I'd try to outline the process in detail to help alleviate the frustration that I'm sure a lot of you are dealing with simply from all the "new-ness" overload. I explained in the last Blog entry about how to add a photo, you simply click the button under the text editing box titled "manage attachments". Once you've done this and uploaded your images you wish to use, you can then select one of them to be highlighted alongside of your thread's first post summary in the forum's listing page. You merely need to click on the check-box next to your desired choice.

Now, if you go no further, and just hit submit, then all your attachments will simply appear at the end of your post, as a row of thumbnails. However, you CAN still place them amongst your post wherever you wish! To do this, leave your attachments window open. now, right-click with your mouse on the image you wish to place, and if you are in IE, choose properties. When you do so, it pops up a tiny window listing the images properties, just double click on the line that shows the actual image location so the whole line is highlighted, right-click, and select copy. Now just go to where in your post you wish the image to be placed, click once, then click on the "insert image" button on top of your text editor to paste what you've copied in there and hit "OK". done!

If you're using Firefox, right-click with your mouse on the image you wish to place, and select "copy image link location", go to where you wish it to be placed in your post, click once, then click on the "insert image" button on top of your text editor to paste what you've copied in there and hit "OK". done!

Be sure that when you want to update your project, that you start a whole new thread to keep the lengths of them to a minimum, to keep things easy to find and to navigate, as well as to include an image of your update and to highlight it to show up on the listings page along with the summary of your new thread!

If you guys have any questions at all, post them in the General Discussion forum and we'll all do our best to help you out. :D 

Keep your brush to the plastic,

-REDLINE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.