Postal tips

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by Crow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You can expect it back fairly soon.

2. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wanted to post something that i found ut today.. The US Postal Service no longer does ground shipping to Canada, They only do Airmail from now on.. So people may want to keep this in mind now when buying from the US or trading with Canada..
    This just happened within the last week... I know because last week i mailed a package to Canada and i shipped it with ground and then today i shipped another package to canada and wanted to ship by gground and i was told i could no longer do so..
    I dont know if they will work something out with lowering the cost a bit or keep them the same jacked up prices .. This sucks big time cause i sell and trade to Canada a lot and i usually let people choose the shipping to there but now it looks like we have no choice.
    Just wanted to give you all a heads up on this if you havent found out yet .

3. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

In my personal experience, package something as if it will be bumped around like the main character in a Lifetime original movie. Leaving room in a box for things to rattle around invites damage. Plastic store bags make good things to wrap toys in.

4. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    QFT (nice metaphor, btw)

I have this thing called the "Shake Test"- If I can shake it fairly violently without hearing the contents move, then it is packed well enough to send.

Also, don't forget to pad the bottom of the box. I've recieved a few things lately where the item was thrown in and padding was put ON TOP of the item. Doesn't help at all if it gets damaged on the bottom.

5. Peale

Peale Arcade Game Repair Tech

Ebay:
    Regulations/postage have changed in the last year, perhaps this should be updated?

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Most of it still holds true... I don't see the point in fixing what isn't broken. Yes, stamp values have changed. That's about it.

7. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

This may sound ridiculous, but I have never, ever mailed anyone anything. After reading this I got some concerns. All I remember from grade school was to print good, then your info on the left hand top of the envelope and the address you are mailing it to in the center, get a stamp and in the box. First, how much does it cost to mail a letter to Canada? I remember all the fee was a postage stamp. Two, do they really scan and steal from letters?

8. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    MB, I'm sorry no one got to your questions sooner. I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

1) I sent 3 minibot tires in a standard letter envelope for $.70 or so. I'd imagine it's more than a postage stamp for a regular letter, but not much more.

2) Some people do, some people don't. It is illegal, but so is murder and murder still happens. Exaggerated metaphor aside, I haven't had it happen to me, but I hardly send just letters. If you plan on sending $$$ or a check/money order, wrap it in a piece of paper first just to be safe.

9. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Thanks. I think I'll be okay since there shouldn't be much than a letter.

Here's some info on letter formats though if anyone is interested.

Basic letter format
    http://www.ehow.com/how_1332_address-envelope.html
    Canadian letter format (and how to address from Canada international)
    http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGaddress-e.asp#1383594
    Other international places
    http://bitboost.com/ref/international-address-formats.html#Formats
    Abbreviations for states and various districts in US, Mexico, and Canada
    http://www.acronymfinder.com/stateabbreviations.asp

10. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to how USPS General delivery service works?

for instance, if I live in Canada and bought something from the US....can I have the item shipped to a post office in the US, and than on rare occasions I travel down to pick up the package to avoid international shipping rates.
    can general delivery work in this situation?

and on another note, if I live in Canada and I travel down to the US to ship something to a US address, can I still put my Canadian address as a return address?

any help would appreciated, thanks.

11. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

1)I would assume if you had a PO Box in the USA, 2) no, because the shipping label would have the info of where it was purchased and would not allow the item to go over the border (especially since no customs form was filled out).

Thats my two pennies, hope it helps and if I'm wrong someone jump in please

12. skyrinkfusion

skyrinkfusion Well-Known Member

yikes, i may have to put a mail forwarding location in the US close to Canada as the return address so I could travel there to see what the problem is or for pick up.

also, the first post says that "parcel post" is the worst shipping method....but what if theres insurance on it, would the handlers be more careful than? cause a large package like a Sky Lynx, jumps up $20 from parcel to priority

13. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i sold to a guy in canada that had a PO box in the US and he just drove to the post office to pick up his stuff. I dont know how he went about doing it though . I gues he had a friend in the US in that area that let him use his address in order to get a PO box..

Parcel Post sucks , things always arrive banged up.. I seen a show on the how the US Postal service works and they showed how parcel post gets thrown into huge net bags and priority gets neatly packed into large containers. I always ship priority unless the erson wants it shipped parcel. Isurance on parcel post wont really matter , Its only there so you gcan get your mone back or a replacement if the figure arrives broken..

14. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

Parcel is slower and like they say, the longer the item is in transit, the more chance you have of damage.

15. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I have a question. Has anyone received a package from Hong Kong and how long did it take? I ask because the usps website has shown this for 5 days...It got from HK to the USA in 3 days, but it has been in NY for a while. I thought it would be here by now and this is my first overseas order.

Your item was processed and left our JAMAICA, NY 11405 facility on August 4, 2008. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    I live in a town that's a few days behind everyone else, postal wise... Mine usually take 4-5 days after they leave Jamaica. Jamaica is around JFK, where they enter the country at. From there, they go pretty much directly to your PO... With a lot of stops and such in between.

17. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, maybe my crystal convoy will be here tomorrow. IM TIRED OF WAITING...... ;) 

18. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ok I did a trade with a friend of mine he had his dad send it for him and it ended up being sent parcel post with delivery confirmation and heres what it says:

The U.S. Postal Service has received electronic notification from our Automated Postal Center (APC) in LAKE CITY, FL 32055 on August 4, 2008 to expect your shipment for mailing.

it has been under acceptance since it was shipped anyone ever have this problem cause its kinda frustrating

19. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    This usually means that they paid for shipping online and haven't dropped your product off at the USPS to be sent out. I would contact them and ask what's going on. You should have your package by now if it was shipped parcel post. Lake City, FL is about 30 minutes from where I live and I got a parcel post package from NY in 5 days. East Coast shipping is pretty fast...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  20. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    lol I'm that friend, my dad sent it for me cuz he need 10 bucks for lunch that week and all I had was a 20 and he drives my truck during the day and I only have it during the night and the USPS office is closed by then. He sent it via one of those package boxes where you pay for it and drop it in or something, for some reason he didn't use the Post Office itself. I'm hoping it arrives soon for both our sakes.