Postal tips

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by Crow, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Package finally arrived in Singapore, hopefully everything will make it to the guys house in one piece.

2. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Edit: Nevermind, the package finally made it to the buyer and everything was satisfactory.

3. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm kind of at a crossroads here.

I've been attempting to see a HA Soundwave for a few months now, and in that time, I've gotten three offers, but almost all of them have been from overseas bidders.

I had one that wanted me to do this crazy hodge podge sending/trade in when he came to the states in 3 days time (send to his friend in Florida, get it there in 3 days, and he'd send back the MP Soundwave I wanted). I declined.

The other two were Australian in nature, with one currently being requested. I've mentioned that I'm not sure about sending stuff international, but both these guys have pretty much acted like, 'Oh, I'm sure it'll be alright. How much you want for your item?"

I guess I gained some negative vibes when I attempted to sell a few iPads a few years ago, only to be told I couldn't ship them to certain countries due to them being new electronics, and size and weight issues.

So, I guess I need an opinion: am I over-thinking this? Should I bite the bullet and take the offer...or hold out and see if I can trade my HA Soundwave at TFCon Chicago?

It just strikes me as rather sad that whenever I have something, noone in the country wants it or wants to take me up on the offer.

4. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me personally, i would never do a trade internationally.. Too many risks involved with it.. Im really surprised no one on here would trade for that HA Soundwave .. I know I would but I probably don't have anything you would want to trade for it lol..

5. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    something pretty weird is happening with my packaging
    i bought a figure and some weapons for my figures
    it leaved the usps facility on july 17 and it crossed from one corner to the other of the us
    (los angeles to miami)
    and for some pretty weird reason it returned to los angeles
    and it is still pretty much too far from colombia(that country between panama and venezuela)
    -_-
    why is that?
    here is the tracking number
    LJ514200059US

6. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Ok, I guess you wanted to post it instead of me? :lol 

But yeah, me and f-primusunicron are starting to get tense about this.

7. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    This is NOT a tracking #
    it will just show if it was scanned into customs...it will not show a delivery status.

You need to send the item REGISTERED MAIL (costs $14~) ontop of the postage cost....

that is the tracking # and will give you a status all the way from your post office to the buyer's address.

8. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    To the guys above:

Sending by USPS now includes full tracking to almost EVERY country. 1st class, or any higher service, includes that tracking. It is NOT just tracking inside the US as stated by Flatline72 - this is a new feature, and some USPS employees don't even know this yet.

International shipments by USPS are extremely reliable, I have done it countless times, and never once had an issue. Just be sure to explain in a sort of disclaimer PRIOR to accepting a payment that reads like this:

"I can send via (usps service chosen)
    If you would like a lower value marked, be aware that I cannot add insurance for any value besides the value you choose. Also, please be aware I am not responsible for any damage, lost packages, or delays after I have dropped this off at USPS - and any extra fees, taxes, etc are your responsibility as the recipient."

If the buyer pays as a purchase on Paypal instead of gift, remember you MUST ship to the address Paypal gives you, no exceptions. Be sure to look at the format usps uses to enter addresses and have them send it to you that way to avoid confusion.

A small tip is to print the label online (saves a bunch of money) and decide where you will tape the label on. Then, take a marker and write the address on the box itself in large, neat writing. This helps the carriers in the destination country.

But I gotta ask, what would you trade an HA Soundwave for??

9. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    And as far as stuff bouncing around in the US - this happens more than you think, and will be resolved by usps, no need to freak out. They just get glitchy and bounce stuff to the wrong places and blah blah blah. But it will either get corrected and shipped to the new place, or come back to you. Delays in movement showing up on the website are common even for domestic parcels.

10. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:

and for your knowledge about shipping....Sorry but you are wrong.

first class international mail does not come with a tracking #....only priority mail ,

yeah , you can entertain all those statements via email or your auction to a customer....the moment a case is filed....paypal is going to want trackable online delivery confirmation for the item.

And if you did not sent it registered mail (for the ability to have tracking online ) or if it's not sent priority mail....then you are screwed.

they could keep the item and get a refund.

most international packages go via 1st class international mail due to the prices being so much cheaper than global priority mail.

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-package-international-service.htm

at the bottom of this page is the registered mail link ....It costs $13.65 for a registered mail item (service charge) and you get assigned an RRXXXXXUS number....the XXXXX are randomly assigned numerical numbers.

it allows you to track your package online off the USPS.com site and it works globally....registered mail is signed for when it goes country to country and it is handled with more care than bulk mail...

I have sold items for years on ebay and shipped first class international with REGISTERED mail....and not have had ONE ITEM get lost or had someone file a claim against not receiving their package.....

Its dumb to get screwed over not having tracking when you can pay the $14~ and have a tracking #.

11. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just got off the phone with Paypal, and hey, I'm not gonna argue - but if they knowingly purchase 1st class shipping, and you label the package correctly and provide the correct tracking number (aka customs number) - you're in the clear. But what do I know.

12. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  13. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Lesser Known Member

I ship A LOT of stuff. These are the cheapest USPS domestic shipping methods.
    0 oz to 13 oz. Use First Class Mail
    14 oz to 2lbs. Use Priority Mail.
    2lbs to 3lbs depending on the size of what you are trying to ship, it will usually be cheaper to use a Medium Flat Rate box.
    3lbs+ Use a Flat Rate Box or Parcel Select depending on the size.

Oddly enough domestic 1st class is 0 oz to 13 oz, but international 1st class is 0 oz to 16 oz. If your item weighs 14 oz-16 oz, it is cheaper to ship to Canada than within the US.

This all depends on where you are shipping. If you are shipping to near the same part of the US, it is usually cheaper to go Regular Priority NOT Flat Rate. If you are shipping across country, the Flat Rates are usually a better deal.

14. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    1st class international - 0 to 4 pounds for parcels. Anything higher must be sent Int'l Priority.

15. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    still nothing of that solves my problem
    -_-

16. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 The Reeled Robot

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I stated on the last page that bouncing around is just how it happens sometimes. If you're that worried about it, call USPS and ask some questions there, since only they can actually do anything anyway. But in general, going in random directions is just something that happens, I have had domestic items do the same thing as well. Just call, and wait. Unless you put a restricted item in the box, it will get moving again.

17. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Can anyone give me an estimate on how much it'd cost to send a package containing Generations Grapple, Generations Jazz and Generations Warpath from USA to England? I can't find what they weigh, tried amazon but it's weight must be off as it calls Grapple 1lb and Jazz 2lb, so I can't a decent calculation on USPS.

18. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Just get your own scale, weigh them packed up all together, and then return the scale.

19. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    the average deluxe weights probably 1/2 to 2/3 a pound.

the average voyager probably a little over a pound.

with all three....i would figure on 2.5 pounds in weight.

20. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your best bet is pack it all up and just have them weigh it at the post office and they will tell you the prices for the cheapest shipping options. You don't really want to guess at an international price because an extra ounce or two that you didnt factor in can end up costing you a lot more in shipping costs.

If you are planning on selling things online more then just a few times then i recommend you go to Ebay and buy a digital scale for around 15 to 20 bucks. Get one that can weigh up to like 15 pounds or more in weight. Here is a good one here
    Saga Digital Postal Scale 66lb x 0 1oz Shipping Scale Weight Postage w AC In | eBay

Then you can weigh all your own stuff and print your shipping online.. If you print your shipping online you will even get discounts in the prices most of the time. Having your own scale is a huge help when selling online, it saves so much time..