Postage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, May 29, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From experience,
    I have sent items overseas for trades/sales before, but I did not take into account the new postage rate. On USPS.com, where I get my shipping estimates, they still had the Airmail parcel post service (like 10-14 days) and shipping was only about 10 bucks for a package I sold to another member last week. However, when I went to ship it out, the lady at the post office said they no longer have this particular shipping service, and the cheapest way to get it from Alabama to England was Priority mail for $20.00. So be careful when shipping things out; of course, many of you may be more familiar with the system and have better ideas, but this really screwed the deal up to the point I ended up refunding the member's money back to him. I mean, who really wants to pay 20 bucks US shipping to england for ONE titanium...:banghead: 

If anyone else has ideas or "best practices" as we call them in the hospitality industry, please chime in!
    JB

2. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That sucks. I find at least Canada Post's website is usually within a few bucks of the estimate. As far as I know there are not obsolete services there either.

3. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Best practice: don't send airmail or priority.

UPS and Fedex have better rates if you want it quick. USPS has the best rate if you just it standard mail.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

this worries me too... I don't want to over or under shoot. Same way I wouldn't want anyone to over or under shoot me!

5. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You should have been able to send it First Class International, which is a lot cheaper than Priority. This is a new service which replaced Airmail Letter Post (small parcels and letters up to 4 lbs. in weight).

6. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm running into similar issues, with people being quoted costs for services that don't exist any longer, or not being given a certain option that should apply when I actually get to the PO. It's really irritating.

7. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    yeah, I thought there was something like that, but that did not show up on the screen and the lady said it was either priority or express. Seemed kind of odd - sent things to Canada for like 6 or 7 bucks before, now a single titanium cost 16 to send to quebec.

Of course, it is within the realm of possibility that the postal worker had no idea what she was doing...NAH, THAT COULDN"T HAPPEN!

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Wow, I didn't even know they made this change. Kinda sucks for overseas shipping. This looks a lot more expensive than the old letter post option.

But with all the Ebay/Paypal scams going on these days, if I decide to ship out of the country I'd have to switch to a trackable method anyway.

9. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Exactly what happened in my case. If something is an online only service, should be stated that way on the website. Of course, this is from the government organization that makes me go ten miles to the other side of the city to pick up a package instead of the post office that is one block from my house, that I can see through the trees from my front door!! (in the same municipality)

10. rework

Many USPS workers are "substandard" (to put it nicely).

Back when Letter Post was still available, I constantly had workers try to measure packages the wrong way to see if it qualified. I had to keep the manual page number listing proper procedure with me and on more than one occasion cited it when some know-it-all worker tried to argue with me.

11. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's about 10% more expensive. I buy from the US all the time, so I have to keep informed. I even contacted USPS myself for details on the service and got detailed replies from two different customer service people.

EMS is too expensive to be worth it for anything other than hugely expensive figures. On the other hand, it really does arrive very quickly (I've received EMS packages from the US in 4 days before).

12. rework

Well, per Paypal policy, to get seller prtection, you must have a tracking number or when the buyer said "they didn't receive it" they rule against the seller - Or something close to that.

If someone enters a dispute, one Paypal requirement is:
    "You must provide us with reasonable proof-of-shipment that can be tracked online. This documentation must show that you shipped to the buyer's confirmed address which is displayed on the Transaction Details page. The payment is listed as "Seller Protection Policy Eligible" on the Transaction Details page. Many carrier companies offer this service, including the U.S. Postal Service and Royal Mail. "

I have heard reports of people getting their items and then registering a dispute anyway when items were shipped untracked or shipped to an unconfirmed address. I spoke with a guy who was ripped off $5000 - He was asked to ship to a US address just over the Canadian border so the buyer could save on taxes. But it was an "unconfirmed" address, so even though he had proof the guy picked up the package, Paypal ruled against him.

According to the USPS site, there is no tracking with Int'l 1st class - Although you can get it Registered, but that is probably pretty expensive.

13. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shouldn't this be in the Ebay section?

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

moving to GD.

15. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Sorry, was not sure where to post it. Give me time, fellas, need to learn the ropes still!!