Post something that seemed odd to you about Transformers toylines

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jul 12, 2011.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    This is a thread inspired by the Dragstrip video review on the front page by fxfranz - where he points out that in the bio it says Dragstrip says he wanted to work with a Human - and yet the figure included seems to be a Hologram driver.

That is a bit odd.

so with that in mind Post something odd about the Transformers toylines that made you go 'eh' ?

Here's some more examples :

Human Alliance "Half-Track" turns into a vehicle that has no tracks yet another toy in the same line actually is a Half track The Snowmobile - (did someone get the names mixed up again ?)

The PCC Line so Hasbro insists is related to the Movie line yet with in a very short period they make PCC Skyhammer who's a jet and then DOTM Skyhammer who is a very similar colour but a Helicopter - same guy (who knows) but a bit odd anyway.

Transformers Cybertron Hardtop - is a character who has no roof

G1 Tracer is a Nebulan but is also a Micromaster - this was a bit strange as Hasbro had not got into the habit of name resuse at that time. so that made me have a question mark above my head like a bad guy in a Metal Gear Solid game.

So what's puzzled, angered or amused you in the Transformers toyline make your thoughts known in this thread.

It does not have to be a quirk it might just be something that bothered you like for example I always wondered why when Steeljaw had a version with Tampographs why keep making a reissue with stickers so much - especially as Tampographs look better when using him against Ravage.

They can't say it's not accurate when one of the versions 25 years ago had them already anyway.

Share your views.

2. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RTS BiS set. "Who's the Autobot? Who's the Decepticon?" just look on the side of the box. IDK I just always thought that was stupid.

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    How about this ;

Mindset in the G2 Comics is a Blue Decepticon military vehicle.

Mindset as a toy is a blue Autobot Military vehicle with the incorrect head for Mindset they changed the head from the previous release of the mould so it no longer looks like the Character

Then the previous one is a green Decepticon Military vehicle with the mindset comic style head and wrong name of Hailstorm. I think something got very very confused along the way with those two.

Incidentaly if you have both they look great if you swap their rockets over with each other.

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Not only that, but practically all of the characters released in the Reveal the Shield line are characters that even a casual fan would know the allegiance of since they were featured in the G1 cartoon. Would make sense if they were all or primarily new characters who's allegiance wasn't known- like if Generations was all G1 characters and RTS was all new (or lesser known) characters.. that would make some sense. I don't think anyone thinks Jazz and Rodimus went Decepticon. I don't even think my mom (who is in her mid-sixties) would think that.

Here's mine: ROTF Crankstart appears to homage G1 Crankcase, except we already have three modern Crankcases, none of whom appear to be the same character as one another.

5. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Armada Megatron comes with a Mini-Con called Leader-1. Optimus comes with a Mini-Con called Over-Run who looks curiously like the Go-Bot Leader-1. Armada Sideswipe should be called Nightbeat, but instead his Mini-Con is named as such. While were on Armada Sideswipe, Armada Wheeljack has many similar features to G1 Sideswipe yet they called him Wheeljack for whatever reason. It looks like for Armada they threw a few homages in there but the names are all over the place.
    During Beast Wars 10th Anniversary why didn't Hasbro release a 2 pack of original Rat-Trap vs. Terrorsaur in place of Transmetal Rat-Trap? Why release the main season 1 cast along with one Transmetal?

6. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

A Transformer that turns into a giraffe.

I can just picture the battle cries:
    "Transform and eat leaves!"
    "Quick, use your tongue!"
    "We need your neck. Maximize!"

7. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    A transformer that turns into a squirrel with nuts.

Also Beast Wars Nightscream. Emo-formers are not emo.

8. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    do I....do I dare say it?

not sure if I should...

oh well...here goes:

FIRRIB!!!

confused the f out of me when I first bought the toys

9. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I find it odd that Hasbro have been making some of their best TFs ever, and forgetting to distribute them.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:

Fixed your post for you (tease)

I bet There's some hideously complex reason how the Maximals managed to get the whole combiner thing and have another Silverbolt & Prowl later with totally different moulds.

Silverbolt I can sort of buy I suppose at least Fuzur Silverbolt is half Eagle still.

But Prowl goes from a Lion to an Owl in the space of a year.

11. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

The original rattrap mold was lost/broken

12. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Classic Hardhead.Why not just add the damn headmaster? Would it have really broke the bank?Was the money better spent on PCC instead?

13. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Action masters. Transformers that lack the base gimmick of the toy line. I don't remember them from when I was a kid; reading of them since I started collecting as an adult, though, was a serious "WTF???" moment for me.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Wal-Mart Exclusive Crankcase is the best homage to G1 Crankcase.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They could have reproed Rattrap as a 2 up and sold him as a Deluxe (like the Space wars Knock off one) but I'm guessing they use TM Rattrap mainly because of his size.

Looking at that DOTM wing pack Optimus Takara made makes me feel sad that we never saw an Ultra Megatron Dragon with the Harness and zombie bits on him that would be super - as it's the same idea a lightly modified old toy with one large accessory if you turned Beast wars TM2 Ultra beast Megatron into a Beast Machines Megatron.

Possible idea for a Japanese Masterpiece toy - and throw in a Diagnostic drone too.

Stealth Force Leadfoot also puzzles me too. he's coloured like Fracture and is an F1 car.

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I recall correctly, the speculation is that the Rattrap and Terrorsaur molds fall into the dreaded "lost mold" category, so they couldn't reissue them. Though it was a bit random, reissuing Transmetal Rattrap wasn't a bad idea anyways since the Hasbro release has a reputation for its chrome flaking badly, and as far as I've heard the 10th Anniversary release has had no problems.

As for odd things:
    When eHobby was releasing a bunch of G1 exclusives, why did they pass on doing a blue Bluestreak and instead released a chrome version to go along with the Anime screen accurate exclusive?

Why were G1 Astrotrain toys never released according to his onscreen color scheme until the eHobby reissue?

Why didn't Scorponok get a Transmetal toy under the Beast Wars line (I know he wasn't necessarily the most popular character...but still)?

Why did Takara pass on using chrome on United Perceptor...when Hasbro did?

Why do some Transformers get released with light piping built in, only to have the eyes painted over?

17. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought the whole "Reveal the Shield" thing was dumb. They have the faction symbols on the backs of the packages!

18. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I remember getting Reveal the Shield Tracks one day, and looking at the front of the box searching for an Autobot symbol. After not finding one, I thought; "It looks as though Hasbro did something right. Nothing to give away the fact that he's an Autobot, at least to the newest generation of fans."

Then I turn the box to have a look at the box art as always, and what do I see. Half of a massive Autobot symbol next to the box art and bio. Terrible fail Hasbro. Terrible fail.

19. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Awww all the Neo hate :p 

Longrack is awesome, he's got a big honkin' grabber claw arm thanks to that Giraffe alt mode.

And Henirad transforms into a RacoonDOG (or Tanooki), entirely different animal, plus he's a time-manipulating super warrior from the future, who just pretends to be a drunkard who changes into a well-endowed alarm clock.

It's all super-awesome.

OK, I suppose, also sort of odd.

TIME FREEEEZE!

20. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    This.