post-mortem: DW's g1 storyline

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by KA, Sep 19, 2005.

1. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely adored the ongoing. Gold story and gold art, in my opinion.

Volume 2 was great art and a good stroy.

Volume 1 was very good art and absolutely no story at all.

I think it failed, not because of Dreamwave, but because there are only so many people who are willing to support a title like this. :( 

I fear this is a lesson IDW will soon be learning.

2. Judgment Day

Judgment Day Energon Extractor No.533

I loved that arc...!

And for those complaining about no Prime and Meg, DW openly admitted that they wanted to take a break from the big guns and would eventually come back to them. I personally didn't mind it.

Megatron eventually returned, and Prime was to follow suit in Issue #12...just look at the ad on Issue #10. Heh...now that I think about it, with all of the Easter Eggs DW put in, I wouldn't be surprised if Optimus' DW return in #12 was a homage to his return in Marvel's Issue #12 of their TF run.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i tend to agree here. for the most part, DWs TF comics success were based on hype. after hype dies down your left with a niche market.

4. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

Well, here's what I thought, it's pretty much a complete 180 from you guys.

I LOVED the first volume. I know a lot of people don't like it, and I know a lot of people hate it because of the Sept 11th theme that ran through it, but I just loved it.

For once there was actually a TF comic with a deeper meaning and with humanized characters.

Now I know robots aren't human, but I sure like reading about them a hell of a lot more when they act like they are.

Volume 2 was good, I mean, it was great, I loved that series too, but the ongoing? I didn't like it, I thought it was boring and stale, I actually, yeah, I think I might have dropped it from my pull list, but I'm not sure because I cared for it so little by the end.

I did enjoy WW volume 1, but not the other volumes, not really, and I actually liked Armada(before and after the kids came into the picture) and Energon more than the G1 books. I was more sad that Energon didn't continue than I was about G1, and it really sucks that Beast Wars was never made.

But yeah, basically by the end of DW I didn't give a crap about the TF books (except for Energon), they were just an extra little thing to pick up on Wednesday.

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think if given the oppurtunity at say... 10 bucks a person we'd all subscribe to a monthly newsletter featuring the rest of the issues in text only. I mean it would be password only so it wouldn't be 'free' to the public but I would love to know what happens.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hey! wait for my DW g1 continuation speculation thread! :D