Post College Life: Anxiety and Depression

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chocula78, Jan 1, 2007.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I am graduating in May from college with a degree in mechanical engineering. I got what should be a sweet job as a satellite systems engineer with a big defense and aerospace firm. I am moving down to DC with two of my best buds from high school (they're gonna be accountants) and am very excited about the TF movie release on 7.4.7.

However, I find myself growing with anxiety and depression about graduation. I am worried that I will have trouble meeting new people and women (I just broke up with my gf of 11 months). I fear that I am holding onto a ridiculous life long dream of one day being an astronaut and that I will be severely disappointed when I end up as another corporate slave. Maybe engineering isn't the life for me and I would be happier as a dog groomer or something, I dunno.

I'd like to know if anyone else on these boards has dealt with these types of issues. I've got 6 months to get it together and would really appreciate it if people could offer advice in dealing with these fears and emotions I have.

2. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're not alone. Going from college to the "real world" is a big change. The good thing is that you're still young and if you don't like your job, you can go do something else. With a degree in ME, you're more than qualified for most jobs out there and if not, you're young enough to go back to school and learn something new.

3. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

Well, seeing as that I never went to college because I have a tendency to fight with teachers(I hate people thinking they're smarter than me, and I won't listen)...

Hmm...

Well, I think everyone goes through these feelings regardless of where they are at. It is just part of aging. If you weren't in school, you'd just be depressed that "life wasn't going anywhere" and that you were aging. Just value your career choice.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

As long as you are happy with what you do and make enough money to support your family, then you'll do fine.

5. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    It's not too bad. Just dive right in. After all the chaos and crazyness, you'll realize it's not so bad. Plus, you're be glad that you did it.

Besides, you got friends with you. When I first moved to philly, I was all alone.

6. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

What if you don't want a family? I always run into this. "You'll need to support your family!"

I don't want a family! I can't stand kids or dating. But really, around here, people act like that is the only reason you exist. But I suppose there really is no other reason to exist. Which sucks.

7. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I graduated College in April, and can not for the life of me find a job in my field. How the hell am I supposed to remember what I studied if I don't get hired soon? Hell, the only job I can find is at a Furniture factory, which has nothing to do with Broadcast Engineering.

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am graduating with my B.A. next year and I am so damn scared about what to do in Grad school, and if I will make into grad school..... if I don't then what? Then what do I do with my life.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

then settle on the job that makes you happy and not dependent on anyone else.

10. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

I just wanna fix computers...

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Fix computers?

Sounds too complicated.

That's what I used to think.

As for the whole "Oh noes, post college, WTF AAgh!"...I was friggin' relieved. After years of juggling school and work, I was happy to just have to work for a change. 'Course..now I'm trying to get into grad school so..yeah.

12. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

I have a couple years of votech for computer stuff, but there are no jobs here for that.

13. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If you want to be astronauts then by all means... go for it! Work right now and support yourself, but do research on what it takes to become an astronaut and plan your life accordingly. Maybe you will have to relocate to Houston or Ft. Lauderdale (sp?) and get train there. Whatever just go for your dream and don't let up.

14. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    I'll be honest with you, I went through the same things as well. 1 year ago, almost to the day, I graduated from college. At the time, I didn't have a job setup but was on the brink of a few. I ended up settling on one, and at first I hated it. Don't be afraid if you hate your first job, it's a big adjustment. Throughout this past year, I've been through a lot of trials and tribulations (my mother passed away, I have watched my family nearly fall apart at the seams) but you just suck it up and you know that tomorrow is going to be a better day (mostly).

Best of luck to you in your graduation and job! Don't drink too much :) 

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You're not alone; and not just on the boards, either. The majority of college graduates face the same exact problems as you do, unless they have a job lined up through an internship they did, or by being handed a job in the family's or friend of the family's business.

The truth of the matter is, while higher education will bestow upon you a degree, the key to landing a job that's not in the retail or food service industries, colleges and universities are phenomenally bad at actually preparing their soon-to-be alumni for the real world.

College life is a good life. You have very little responsibility, you are pampered beyond belief with upscale living quarters, round-the-clock amenities, and entire departments dedicated to making your life as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

And then you graduate.

And what you quickly realize is that college never taught you about how to find an apartment, or to balance a budget, or how to cook. Remember how if you got a parking ticket you'd laugh and tear it up or go yell at campus security for being a bunch of assholes? Try doing that with a municipal police department. Remember how easy it was to get a broken toilet fixed or your heat turned back on by calling down to the maintenance department? That's not going to happen anymore, nor is finding an RA to let you back into your apartment because you locked yourself out. And forget about the writing lab helping you with a quarterly performance report complete with charts and graphs.

The real world is going to be a huge and alarming wake-up call if you don't prepare for it, because there's no one there to hold your hand and walk you through it. Since you already have a job, you're better off than most grads. Most likely it's an entry-level job, which means that you get to do menial shit that no one else wants to. Good chances are you'll hate this job after a few months because you feel like you're going nowhere, and all this drive and ambition you have isn't getting noticed.

The best advice is to not give up and don't get discouraged if everything doesn't immediately pan out the way you hoped. Just keep a level head and learn to be independent and fend for yourself, but never refuse a hand-out if offered. Also important is to always look for the opportunity to get noticed and further advance yourself in your job. Everyone starts out at the bottom of the ladder, but that doesn't mean you can't beat everyone to the top.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I sure as hell went through all that the first year after I graduated.

17. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Pssh. Not me. I worked 40 hours a week to pay tuition, rent and everything in between. I learned all about the real world while in college..but you're right, none of that came from the schooling itself.

18. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I know what your going through man. I'm graduating in May with a degree with English with a concentration in Broadcasting. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do for work, I mean I have a couple minor back up ideas with places I could go, but they really don't involve my degree. I think I'll be ok though because I'm already in "the real world" in that I've had my own place for the past year or so, so I mean I know about trying to afford bills and rent. I just figure its going to be a bit easier because I can work more hours after I graduate so I can have an easier time paying rent and bills and actually have some money left over for myself.

19. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Its a hell of a lot easier said than done, but, "Figure out what you love and then find a way to make enough money doing it". Plus, there's no reason why you have to get a job in the exact field for which you were educated. I know plenty of Old English Literature grads working in IT, and a few people with advanced degrees in geology that manage grocery stores!

If you're not happy, then the job isn't worth it. We only get one chance at life, might as well make it a happy one. Plus, as was alluded to earlier, you're young enough to make a couple "bad" decisions and still have plenty of time to get things back on track. Sometimes you'll never know what you really enjoy until you get out there and try it.

Don't let the uncertainty at this point in your life get you down. Instead, look at it as an opportunity to do anything that you want, just because you can. Kinda empowering, eh? :D 

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm possibly graduating at the end of the year, but I'm not too worried yet. I think Uni here is a bit different to in the states - I already rent a house and do all those real world things. Uni is just like a job that I go to during the day. And all night. And don't get paid for.