Post Botcon Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Rodimus Mike, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey all,

Now that Botcon is over I have some questions,like I haven't found any news
    about the movie,did they even say anything about it,and where is it on
    here if it is,also did they show any early movie toy designs and so forth?. Did
    they not even say anything about it at all?. Please lmk yall,thanks.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    May I post a BOTCON question too? How did the Hartman sale go? What did you buy? Okay that's 2. :D 

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I believe that Hasbro was under NDA from Dreamworks to not say anything at all about the movie. All they showed was a 1:30 long clip made by dreamworks. Most of it was just BS but they did show a few seconds of the autobots driving down the road and stuff blowing up. But they wouldn't talk about anything movie related.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Little to nothing about the movie. They showed a short clip (minute and a half) of Michael Bay talking and a bunch of stuff blowing up. No toys or designs were shown. It's really kind of too early to be seeing that stuff in official channels, especially in light of Paramount wanting to keep a lid on that stuff.

5. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the Hartman sale, it seemed to be going very well as of Saturday around 3. I bought an Octane in excellent condition from them.

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    The Hartman sale was such a feeding frenzy on Friday and Saturday morning that a lot of dealers were busy in their line and not manning their own booths!

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not to mention the guy on Friday who purchased multiple thousands of dollars worth of the Hartman's collection. He was 2 or 3 people in front of me in line. I picked up a MIB rubsign soundwave, a bunch of micromasters, the combaticon limbs and a few other figures I needed to replace.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Hartmans seemed to do well, however, while they are clearly the lords and masters of all variations and parts type knowledge, they seem to be lacking sorely in knowing the value of things, not that I don't think they tried to figure it out within their limits of time and such. Much stuff was very well priced, but equal numbers were either unbelieveably low or laughably high. It was very odd.

Myself, I picked up Euro "grey parts" versions of G2/yellow Scrapper, Scavenger, and Bonecrusher. I left Long Haul and Mixmaster due to lack of any real color or parts variations. No Hook to be had, so that was moot. I also snagged three of the small G2 Decepticon Jets, as they had three, I have two, and I could not for my life remember which two I had for sure. All that was MOSC. I also snagged a much better Strafe, loose but minty and with card/complete, than the one I had when I pieced my Computron together a couple cons back. Strangely, all of those cost me just $90.

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Can anyone give me pics of ALL of this year's Botcon exclusives? I'm a bit lost. I know there was Primal, Rhinox, Cheetor, Rattrap, and Dinobot in one set, but I don't know anyone else...

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all of 'em (And the BT Skids I picked up cheap :)  )

11. Pete@BotCon

Pete@BotCon PVK

News Credits:
    I respectfully disagree. Karl did much research on current pricing and used ebay, Lee's and the prices that they paid on many items as factors in the pricing. I also helped as I have been following prices for 15 years.

As far as items laughably high, could you name one? And remember, as far as too low, just because a Dealer asks x number of dollars for something does not mean it is worth that. It is only worth that if it sells. Karl and Jon priced the stuff at a fair market value while also making sure it was at a price where the items would sell.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    But what were the names for the two Divebomb repaints?

13. Pete@BotCon

Pete@BotCon PVK

News Credits:
    Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, who, along with Ravage, had also been reprogrammed and reformatted....as Predacons!

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I guess you were granted amnesty if you had to spend a few million years worth of war stuck in some dude's chest...

15. TinManA.H.

TinManA.H. Artificial Hero

Hands down one of the BEST sets of con exclusives! Well done! If I were rich, or single, I'd own them! As it is, I'll just have to look at pictures! ;-)

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The $10,000 Windcharger was a tad bit high ;) 

I have to agree that things were priced to sell, especially given the amount of merchandise that was litterally flying off the shelves faster than Kickback (tinkles) could reorganize it.

17. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And you are certainly free to disagree. Disrespecting ayone wasn't any part of my statements. Indeed, I have the utmost respect for the Hartmans, heck, for you too Pete. You all do and/or have done wonderful things for the fandom. I do think there were a large number of items there that were priced exactly as I would expect them to be and quite fairly in light of any relative rareness, condition, and what have you. And they certainly did have some very rare items which would command very high prices, accordingly. I personally bought a few items that seemed strangely low. And certainly, one should be taking into account what one paid when selling their personal items. But perhaps the Hartmans were occasionally less focused on getting the fair price than on getting the final piece to accomplish some subgoal or set within the collection?

As for the high prices, I can name off the Japanese G2 Go-Bots, who were at a whopping $100 a *piece*. Of the sets I've seen sell, $100 for the *three* is a much more normal range. That one comes to mind fairly easily, as those were ones I had hoped to snag from them but had to pass on for cost.

18. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

We got a very special sneak peek of the movie, where it was indeed confirmed:

Stuff gets blown up.

19. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    And I am Michael Bay.

20. T.K. Sunglasses

T.K. Sunglasses -

Man, those Botcon BW figures are generally pretty good, I think, but that is a horrible version of Dinobot. He's supposed to be a smooth and skillfull warrior, not a hulking shovel-handed thing. ;_;

But this brings up something that has been really bugging me: it seems like all the recent BW stuff has confirmed the idea that Maximals and Predacons have vehicle modes back on Cybertron. This just doesn't make sense to me. Why are they called Maximals and Predacons, and why do they have animal-oriented names, and what is even the distinction between them and Autobots/Decepticons, if they are just your ordinary transformers back home?