Possibly making another sacrifice...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Mar 15, 2008.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Many of us have made sacrifices both for, and against, our hobby of Transformers. Me, I've had to sell some items so I could pay some medical bills. Now, I'm looking at trading in my gas thirsty Ridgeline for another vehicle.

There are several reasons why I'm considering the trade, and the current gas costs is one of them. I don't like having to pay $60 or MORE to fill up my tank in my Ridgeline. I also haven't been too happy with it in the year of ownership. Mine has had some seat issues such as with poor fabric, and assorted rattles and other things here and there. I do like having a truck, but right now don't have a need for one. Plus, the truck market is starting to go downhill and I figure if I traded now I'd have MUCH better resale value.

The two cars I'm looking at and considering the most are a Honda Civic EX Sedan with navigation, and a Scion xB with navigation too. The Scion is cheaper, when equipped with what I want, but the Civic is a pretty nice car too. Both vehicles, thankfully, are also aftermarket friendly. I do need a vehicle that can haul items when I need to, and haul ass when I have too.

I did look at the Honda Fit/Jazz, but it crossed the line I have of being TOO small. It was a great car but I didn't like it.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations? I generally like Hondas or Toyotas, and my last two vehicles have been a Toyota and a Honda respectively. Reliability is a BIG factor for me as is resale value. But, this go around I won't be trading as soon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you can't go wrong with civic.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah those civics are pretty solid
    Would start hitting those car sites driver reviews , good luck on finding a good one, hope it's a nice one. I guess you'll need a tfw name change as well?

If you get frustrated, go start some brawls in the hot wheels thread

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Go with a Scion Xb.. I got one and LOVE it. Handles great, gets good mileage. I fill up my tank (3/4 of the way empty) and at about $2.30 or so a gallon I can fill my car for about $30ish.

It has got a lot of pick up and vroom to it. Plus an added bonus is that it is Animated Soundwave's alt mode.

Seriously go drive one. You will like it. I don't have navigation, but I got the upgraded sound system. It rocks. I can't recommend it enough. It may look a little smaller on the outside but it is very roomy on the inside and can haul plenty of stuff. I'm a fairly big guy so it is hard for me to comfortably fit into some cars, but this is vaery comfortable and easy to get in and out.

5. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

If you have to choose between a Scion or a Civic, pick a Civic. They're so economical and versitile. I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe I bought in Phoenix. The only thing I had done other than changing all the tires and a battery was to re-adjust my misfiring pistons in the engine. These cars are quite durable. They're great on gas as well. When I drove across the country as I was moving to Wisconsin; I was calculating 40 miles per one gallon of gas during that time.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

After you get your car and you are still looking for a truck, I would recommend an early to mid 90s F-150 with the 300 Straight six. Those trucks last forever and should meet you hauling needs.

By far the best engine Ford ever made. I've regularly seen this trucks with near to over 300,000 miles and not have any problems aside from normal age.

7. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Well, I'll throw in my $.02 here. I'm an avid Honda owner. I've owned 7 of them. No problems due to Honda. :redface2:  We still own 2, one of which I drive 450 miles a week. All of that being said, I wouldn't buy a new Honda. I love the Fit, but you already said it's too small. My last job entailed me working on a lot of new Hondas (a/v installs), and I'm not at all impressed with the fit and finish of the new cars. They seem and feel VERY cheap compared to the older ones. Everything is plastic and held together with clips, nothing has screws in it anymore. (and they wonder why they rattle and squeak) As an example, my 95 Integra leather seats are just now starting to crack up, but I've seen many 00 and up Accords with the seats all to Hell. IMO, Honda got complacent being on top, and got cheap and lazy. I like the first xB, but I've not been in a new body style. As you said, they are cheaper, and I don't think you'd go wrong with one. The only thing I can tell you is to talk to people that have them both. See what they are saying. DO NOT listen to the salesmen, but I'm sure you already know that. You've had enough late model vehicles to know that. Hope I've helped.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I'm pretty much the same as the above poster. I have only driven/owned Hondas. And, relatively speaking, am very pleased with them tho the overall quality has gone downhill lately. I currently drive a Fit and it leaves a little to be desired. You might want to check into it tho. As far as "hauling", if you mean regular items, the Fit's cargo space is greater than the Civic's. The back 2 seats fold completely flat, and with that you get a HUGE amount of cargo space. Great gas mileage - 35 mpg. Pretty expensive for a subcompatct tho. I'd go with a Korean car if you are wanting a subcompact. A Kia for instance. Those things are really improved. The new 2009 Honda Fit is coming out next year, so you might want to wait for that. Or you might just want to be the first to own a plug-in hybrid. With gas prices going the way they are, a plug-in would be awesome to have.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm a car guy, but also an environmentalist. as such, I've paid attention to fun, but frugal cars. the mazda 3 has repeatedly beaten the civic in handling/performance tests. gets 30 mpg and is way cheaper, as well. also, the honda fit can slalom as fast as a ferrari, and is cheaper than a civic and has tons of space. good luck!

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I myself would also throw out Mazda3 if your looking for something that can also haul a good bit, but still be fun and whatnot.

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I've got a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. Never had any issues with it, and it gets around 30 mpg.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I bought a honda civic hybrid in 2003. 50 mpg and no problems thus far.

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Thanks all for the advice. I don't like the Korean kars (Kia/Hyundai) because their resale values are crap. This is a big factor to me, as many of have noticed, I tend to trade often. Because of this I have considered leasing but I don't like the mileage restrictions. Some years, I put on average of 10,000 miles, some I put on 20,000 but on average it is about 12,000 miles.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    buy a segway.

15. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    The Mazda3 is not an unfamiliar car to me, but my brother and sister-in-law have one. They have two kids, a seven year old and a four year old. As it stands now, the seven year old is starting to be a bit cramped. I tried sitting in the backseat, which I have to do sometimes with my vehicles, and for my average 5'10" height it was a TIGHT squeeze. I do really like the car, though.

If it could seat four, have a safety cage and other move at some speed I might get one. Plus, I'd want to keep the President Ejection Feature.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  16. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Given the two I would go for the XB; higher horsepower and torque numbers as well as more interior space.

17. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'd say the Civic. Or a Toyota Yaris/Corolla.

18. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I'd consider the Civic or Corolla, but not the egg called a Yaris. I'd really like either the CR-V or the xB. I put in an offer on a CR-V online with a dealership I had been in communication with to see how they respond. It is a bit under the MSRP and I hope the accept it. If they do, I'll be driving a CR-V EX by the end of next week. Hopefully.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or why don't you go and drive a couple different ones you like then get the one you like best...

20. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Just some notes on the Fit, since my girlfriend bought an '07 and I hear about it all the time...

It's one of the most fuel efficient non-hybrid cars available.
    It's in the top 10 or maybe even top 5 for safety ratings. Side-impact airbags, etc.
    Once you fold down the rear seats, and the passenger seat, there's actually a lot of room to haul crap.
    At 6'1", I'm impressed with the Fit's leg room.

The biggest downside if you're buying used is the Fit retains it's value fairly well. Of course this is a benefit if you're buying new.