Possibly going into lpn school need help with entry exam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TygaTim, Jul 13, 2012.

1. TygaTim

TygaTim Well-Known Member

before i start this discussion yes i know this is a forum for transformers fans and yes i should expect to see ridiculous sarcastic answers and yes i have looked for info on the web and this is the last thing i wanted to do i just want to see if i can get any possible info from any of you guys. to start things off i just graduated high school a month ago and i wanted to get into the health care field. My goal is to be an lpn (Licensed Practical Nurse) they make decent money and can make a decent living out of it. No I do not plan to upgrade to an RN as of right now maybe 2 years down the road cause RN do make quite bit more money than LPN'S do. So to start things off i was thinking of becoming a CNA (certified Nursing Assistant) just to see how i like it before i really jumped into the health care field. Yes being a cna requires dirty work bathing old people changing diapers cleaning vomit. I applied to two different places but none of them have called back and honestly might just have to join an lpn school but as state requires i need to pass and entry exam and this is only one try no retakes if i fail this. i know the duties of an LPN.
    LPNs care for patients in many ways. Often, they provide basic bedside care. Many LPNs measure and record patients' vital signs such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration. They also prepare and give injections and enemas, monitor catheters, dress wounds, and give alcohol rubs and massages. To help keep patients comfortable, they assist with bathing, dressing, and personal hygiene, moving in bed, standing, and walking. They might also feed patients who need help eating. Experienced LPNs may supervise nursing assistants and aides.
    As part of their work, LPNs collect samples for testing, perform routine laboratory tests, and record food and fluid intake and output. They clean and monitor medical equipment. Sometimes, they help physicians and registered nurses perform tests and procedures. Some LPNs help to deliver, care for, and feed infants.
    LPNs also monitor their patients and report adverse reactions to medications or treatments. LPNs gather information from patients, including their health history and how they are currently feeling. They may use this information to complete insurance forms, pre-authorizations, and referrals, and they share information with registered nurses and doctors to help determine the best course of care for a patient.
    •Pennsylvania Salary: $22,694 – $53,849
    I chose Pa cause thats the state i live in. But anyways i went to the library th eother day to find a entry exam practice book to prepare form an entry exam if i do have to go to lpn school rightr away instead of doing cna first cause it never hurts to learn. the book is called NCLEX-PN strategies for the practical nursing exam. I look into the book it has practice test 145 exam style questions. I look at these questions i was like holy shit! these questions are pretty hard for just an entrance exam. Alot of these words they use in these questions i never heard of in my life. words like Chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and disulfiram. what the hell do these words mean they dont ever tell me the meaning of these words int eh book. How can i pass an entrance exam if i dont know what i am reading i honeslty wonder if this is the practice exam book for the exam test you take for when ur done with mursing school. any ideas guys anyone into the health care field who could offer me any info.

2. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You really can only take the test once?

3. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

LPNs are on the way out. Go for the RN, better pay and less butt wiping.

Chuck

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    go with RN and get it over with. more possibilities.
    my Sister has been a LPN for about a decade and she's finding clinics are eliminating them from their staff.

5. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Um... Those words you don't understand could be googled, just so you know. For example, by doing so I learned that Chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride is a sedative/hypnotic drug often prescribed for Alcohol withdrawal, and that disulfiram is a drug prescribed for the same thing, it is also being studied as a treatment for cocaine dependence.

I'd worry about your commitment to becoming an LPN if you don't even try to understand the medicine involved. Have fun with that exam.

6. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Not necessarily less butt wiping :rolleyes: 

Getting your RN will open more doors, for sure....however, a lot of people choose not to become an RN (in Australia, we have EN's - Enrolled nurses which I think is the equivalent to your LPN's). EN's get paid similar amounts to RN's (slightly less) and they are able to do pretty much what an RN does except insert canulas.

Those exam style questions do seem to be more like the ones on the final exams you take before you graduate. I am not even 100% sure what those words mean aside from Hydrochloride and i'm doing my bachelor of Midwifery currently..... Nursing does have basis in chemistry, but it's not like we were expected to know the names of many different compounds, aside from the most common ones (glucose etc). I know people who had no background in chemistry, who graduated with HDs...one is now a nurse practitioner and he actually failed our foundation chemistry unit the first time.

Try contacting the school directly or the body who conduct the exams and see if they have any published practice literature.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I have to second this. I sure as heck wouldn't want a nurse that doesn't know what medications they're supposed to give you, or is supposed to be aware that you're on. Are you going into the field just because of the money, or because you really want to help people?

--Moony

8. TygaTim

Yes i actually want to be a nurse I am a caring person i feel like i would happy the rest of my life being one. Here let me find a couple example questions from the book ill show you.

9. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

NOw, to be fair. The OP was just expressing alarm at some of the practice questions in the book as they contained words he wasn't familiar with and he was worried that he wouldn't understand the questions asked on the ENTRY exam. There is nothing in the OP that would indicate to me that he is not interested in LEARNING about compounds or medications, just that he doesn't have that knowledge already. The concept behind university or a school is to impart that knowledge onto people who are interested in learning.....not to assess whether people ALREADY know everything there is to know.

I am a nurse myself, I guarantee you that I care a great deal about all of my patients.. I don't know a great deal about the chemical names for all drugs, nor do I know or understand every reaction, contra-indication etc that may come with drug interactions. Yes, i've picked up a few just by being a nurse, but knowing those things aren't really my job ;)  We have doctors to write prescriptions, I look at a chart and see what meds need to be administered and I administer them at the time given by the doctor. I go to the patients locked bedside drawer, I take out the medication and I compare the bottle/box to the patient's chart and I administer the dosage written in the chart. The medication itself comes from the pharmacy and is prepared by the pharmacist. The patient dies of a drug interaction? Doctors fault....not mine.

Nurses ARE not doctors....nurses ARE 'professional carers'...it is unfair to suggest that anyone wanting to be a nurse should know and understand all those names of chemicals etc. I didn't go to medical school....I don't know (nor have a real interest in knowing) every name of every drug including the correct name of the active ingredient and why these chemicals are used to treat. Why? Because I'm too busy learning how to read my patients body language, to understand pain and discomfort when the patient themselves can't tell me. I will advocate for a patient and will ask for pain relief or anything else, what they ultimately get....is up to the doctor. I am good at what I do.....a lot of what I do is just regular day to day caring. I bathe people, I administer medication previously written up by the doctor and double checked against patients chart (right name, dosage etc). I will hook up IVs and sometimes i'll change nappies (children and adults). I check the stitches of new mums and assess swelling and bruising. I will offer supportive care and make sure that people are comfortable. I check vital signs as often as needed/requested by the doctor. Sometimes, i spend hours walking up and down the ward with a child who won't go to sleep because they're sick and they miss their mum......to suggest that anyone would be scared to be nursed by me...is quite upsetting to me.....I have poured my soul into my job......my body is tired from the physical labour involved, my spirit has been crushed from seeing death and pain and suffering. Ugh! Not everyone can be a nurse, but some of us feel a calling and we do it because we love it. I think the OP wants to do it for all the right reasons. I don't doubt his intentions at all.

Another example: As a midwife....I can insert canulas, I can administer N2O (gas) and I can perform digital exams (but not speculum exams). I cannot perform an episiotomy - although stitching it up afterwards is indeed my job. I can inject pethidine, but cannot write up a script for it. I cannot administer an epidural. The point is....we all have areas of expertise and it's unkind to suggest that because a nurse, or someone interested in nursing should know everything about all things medical or they must be interested in nursing for nefarious reasons.

As for going into nursing for the money....WHAAAAT??? You know what nurses get paid, right? I am in the lowest pay band for professionals.......just about everyone with a degree earns more than I do......I do it because I do want help people and I have a passion for pregnancy and birth. The money just doesn't even factor into it......

10. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

The hospital I work at has Health Techs do the butt wiping.

Chuck

11. TygaTim

alright here are a couple questions i see in my NCLEX-PN book.

ex 1. To enhance the percutaneous absorption of nitroglycerine ointment, it would be MOST important for the LPN/LVN to select a site that is.

1 muscular
    2. near the heart
    3. non-hairy
    4. over a bony prominence

Ex 2. A client has a vagotomy with antrectony to treat a duodenal ulcer. Postoperatively, the client develops dumping syndrome. Which of the following statements, if made by the client, should indicate to the LPN/LVN that further dietary teaching is necessary.

1. I should eat bread with each meal
    2. I should eat smaller meals more frequently
    3. I should lie down after eating
    4. I should avoid drinking fluids with my meals

Ex 3. A 6 year old child with a congenital heart disorder is admitted with congestive heart failure. Cigoxin (Lanoxin) 0.12 mg is ordered for the child. The bottle of Lanoxin contains .05mg of Lanoxin in 1 ml of solution. What amount should the LPN/LVN administer to the child after validating the dose with the RN
    1. 1.2 ml
    2. 2.4 ml
    3. 3.5 ml
    4. 4.2 ml

Those are just 3 questions out of 145 too me alot of these words on these question are confusing and never heard of these words before. These questions sound like stuff they would ask on the final exam after schooling is done when you know all this info. I still want to be a nurse and i do not have a doubt that there is alot to beign an lpn. I could google all these definitions but thats gonna be alot of work to do on the computer is there anywhere i could find an entry exam text for beign an lpn on the computer i could practice on or any other source of information i could find.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Step 1: Learn to stop writing run-on sentences. Learn to write more clearly.

Step 2: Get help from other people who are going to be taking the same test. They'll know more than we will about the test itself and the material in general.

Step 3: Actually learn the material to do the questions. Brush up on your chemistry, pharmacology, biology, etc. The kind of stuff you would be expected to be taught before taking this test. It sounds like there would be a college program or some sort of study before you'd get into this program.

Step 4: If you're only into it for the money, find something else. Nursing is a very stressful field to be in, and if you're only interested in a steady paycheck, you may not find this job is worth it in the long run.

13. TygaTim

14. TygaTim

the link i just posted above is the book that i am reding to some how learn all this. take a look at it if you want and let me know if you have seen it before.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This book is to help you pass the test, not to necessarily learn the material that is actually covered by the test. You should learn that material, seems like something that would come in handy.

You may need to find some other textbooks.

16. rodimus62609

rodimus62609 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll be going into Lpn school in the fall. In my state (Arkansas) we have to take a semester of prerequisite classes our freshman year of college. I had to take basic anatomy and medical terminology, and I took medical math voluntarily sonim familiar with dosages and other things. Plus, I'll need the credit for my RN courses in the future. I'm pretty familiar with terms and parts of the body now, so I won't just be rushing into it with no knowledge. Maybe they offer that to in your state, if you were interested in waiting another year.

17. TygaTim

yo just gave good knowledge but i just want to move on with my life i have a library right up the street from about a mile away i can walk too ill see if i can nfind an entrance exam lpn book hopefully.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had to take my EMT license test twice because i wasn't prepared for the test. (I passed the course with a grade of 96, an A.)
    to get a question with 3 similar answers is annoying.
    my problem with the test was the questions didn't have any context to help me pick the answer.

my solution? i nagged paramedics around me to help me study. and when i didn't have a study partner, i went to my instructor and talked about the tests.
    the second time i sat for the exam, i scored much higher and passed with flying colors.
    BUT...
    For the first 6 months after that, i still brought my textbooks to work, and constantly read them.

I did that after each level of training. if you miss a question on a test, then you aren't done studying.

one last thing. just because you are a caring person isn't a sign from heaven you were born to be a nurse.
    the medics and nurses i'd trust my life to are the biggest assholes around. they are blunt, rude and never coddled patients. and their reasons for doing that line of work sometimes didn't include the words, "I care."
    like i did it because it was always a new set of challenges and i enjoyed being kept on my toes, never being bored. some repetition, but no two patients were alike. and yep, i met all kinds of people. i loved that.
    you gotta have the gut for it and determination to do more than care.

19. TygaTim

well im certainly not a dick i have patients and kindness to do it i am willing to go through with this ill know wha tim doing im sure after trainign is done yes i know being a nurse can be a challenging job and field to g et into but alot of thing sin life are challenging.

20. TygaTim

out of my 200 page book i have on page 66 it says this

These questions illustrate why knowing nursing content is not enough to answer application/analysis level questions. You must be able to effectively use the information you learned in practical/ vocational nursing school to answer exam-style test question. key words in that information you learned in practical nursing school i havent gone into nursing school yet there is no way i could have a clue on what these huge words or medicines mean or stand for. Im not going to give up on it though.