Possible to incorporate other car brands into the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

This is in regards to GM's stranglehold on the TF movie franchise. I understand the concept: GM took a large bag of money and gave it to Hasbro for the movie to have MAJORITY GM cars. I understand this concept. I hope whoever reads this initial post realizes that I understand its about money. I also do realize that there ARE cars in the movie that aren't GM (Barricade as a Ford). However, that one EXCEPTION to the rule that most of these cars are GM doesn't mean people can misrepresent the situation as the movie having a wide array of different car brands.

And for those out there wanting to point out the Volkswagen's decline of Hasbro due to no guns, I understand that quite well also. Volkswagen did decline Hasbro. But that does not mean other companies would also want to decline Hasbro. Getting out your product in such a high profile movie like TFs would do great things for your product. I am sure most car companies realize this. I'm even thinking that VW might changed their mind on having their cars in TFs now.

I am saying this for 2 reasons:

1) The TFs are a diverse cast. They can transform into ANY type of vehicle/mechanical device. It is COMPLETELY unrealistic to expect ALL of the TFs to choose only GM vehicles to mimic. It also would expand the target audience of the TF movie to include other car brands. It doesn't ostracize parts of the movie going public if they like non-GM cars.

Plus its also so much better to take the BEST from each brand rather than dredge unknowns from the bottom of one brand. For instance, the Saturn in the movie (if it is actually a TF). Wouldn't someone rather that be really great car from another brand rather than an average car from the GM brand?

2) The company that Hasbro decided to be the car company for the movie is tanking. And tanking something fierce. Some people are even speaking of possible bankruptcy or government bailout for GM and the Detroit 3. They are burning through about 1 BILLION in cash a month trying to maintain their business. Their newest fuel efficient offereing won't get here till 2010 (Volt for GM and Fiesta for Ford). Some people might say they might go bankrupt before then.

Wouldn't it be better for Hasbro to instead position itself properly with a SUCCESSFUL car company? Does Hasbro really want to be tied to a potentially bankrupt car company? Wouldn't it be better for Hasbro's products to at least DIVERSIFY?

So what do you think? Do you think Hasbro can somehow start incorporating other car brands somehow? Does anyone even know the legal contractual agreement between Hasbro and GM? I am not saying eliminate GM entirely from the movie but reflect the reality of the US public's preferences for vehicles.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Well with GM facing possible bankruptcy, I think it definitely is possible at least for TF3. Also, Im sure some automaker will approach Paramount and be like, "hey we want some pie too"

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Sooner or later, the movie franchise will have other car companies involved, it's just a matter of time.

4. Kortex

Kortex Well-Known Member

Just hope Ferrari and Lamborgihni will accept so we could have Sideswipes and Sunstreaker!!!!!

5. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    I agree completely. I'd like to see some more diversity 'car wise' (bmw, porsche, toyota, honda, ferrari, Lamborghini etc. :cool: )

6. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. GM is the only car company that was willing to have their vehicles portrayed in the movie, and the only one willing to dish out the money.

You can hate GM all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that they have the most diverse portfolio and their vehicles make great choices for the movie.

Like it has already been said, no doubt more companies will see that including their vehicles in the films as an amazing advertising opportunity.

To end, it's really sad to see the big 3 going through what they're going through. It's not good for any of us, regardless if you drive a GM/Ford/Chrysler or not. If GM tanks, so does the US economy.

7. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Not here too. It's not "possible bankruptcy". It's "not impossible bankruptcy". (which implies two very different things.) And it was from a single Merrill Lynch analyst's note. And to put that all into perspective, GM stock price's historic low that seems to confirm the analyst's point was in fact caused by the analyst's note in the first place. Not only that, JP Morgan said GM's bankruptcy was unlikely and GM stocks went rebounded today pretty quickly. Funnily enough JP Morgan soon reported that Merrill Lynch was facing Q2 loss. Stock market is messy stuff.

Anyways, if Bay wanted anything specific for TF2, he'd get it. Working with GM saves him tons of money, so that's why he finds cars he wants within GM, which, lets admit it, has all kinds of cars that anyone would ever want. (other than Bugatti Veyron, maybe.)

Example? Bay's Porsche camera car, Porsche plug (not official) in the beginning of the first movie. And Saleen.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Honestly dude, you're getting tiresome. You're the one hijacking this thread. This is about TFs diversifying into other car brands, not about if GM tanking is bad for the US. You're the one trying to make this political. Please, if you don't like my opinions, there is a function called "Ignore".

9. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    I don't know why you're getting angry. And it's hardly political.

According to you, you want Hasbro to
    But if you wanted the movie to better represent the US market, we'd see Optimus Prime as Toyota Prius, Ironhide as Toyota Camry and Bumblebee as Honda Civic.

It'd be better in our eyes. But Hasbro's out to make money, not to listen to our every whim. (as much as I'd like it to be) One of the ways to "make money" is to cut cost wherever possible. Licensing Lamborghini and Ferraris (and Porsches, no less), as someone else mentioned, are forbiddingly expensive. So expensive that even Microsoft and Sony shudder at the thought. (racing games)

I'd like to see what you'd think would be good examples for a "diverse" product placement. No doubt diversity will make things seem more "normal" to our eyes, but it really wouldn't have any impact on the plot or the awesomeness of seeing cars turn into gigantic robots to kick the crap out of each other.

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Sigh, so be it. And a-hijacking we will go.

"lets admit it, has all kinds of cars that anyone would ever want."

Yeah, right! It doesn't have the high quality hybrids that the Japanese have. It doesn't have the high quality subcompacts/compacts that the Japanese make and that the US public wants. The Chevy Aveo is a horribel subcompact. Compared to the Japanese subcompacts, the Aveo feels like a sardine can with as much intereior quality as one.

Thats why the US public is going to imports in droves. GM makes horrible cars compared to the Japanese. The build quality is ridiculously bad. The Japanese have been known for high quality cars for decades now. They have maintained that high standard because it is their own personal goal. You see they have a commitment to high quality products. That alone right there is the main reason why US consumers flock to Japanese cars. Because the Japanese hold themselves to higher standards than US automakers (anyone see a similar paradigm with US moviegoers and lowered standards - shock/awe!). So what do you think consumers are going to go for? The company that has a commitment to quality for decades or the one who suddenly said they've changed their stripes?

GM tanking will have little effect on the US economy. I thought all Americans were all for the "free market capitalism"? Whats wrong now fellas? Now that you're losing, you want bailouts from the US government? No way am I going to allow my taxes to pay for the mistakes of some old, stuffed shirt who couldn't admit his mistakes. Let GM die. The US government already bailed out Bear Stearns. And guess what? They had the same song and dance as GM - "oh we're no where near bankruptcy". The next week - they lost BILLIONS in market value and were sold to JP Morgan.

11. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Sigh... Now you've hijacked your own thread. All I've said was that GM has all the types of cars you can ever want. Wagons, coupes, sedans, SUVs. etc...

Sorry if you took that the wrong way, but it seems like you did have an urge to rant on about how GM sucks compared to say... Toyota.

12. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Um no, I don't want it to be all about Toyotas either. Can you not understand my point. I am wanting to DIVERSIFY. And you paint an example of me supposedly wanting the direct opposite. I even said how I still want GM in the movie. Way to go there. You so miscontrue what others say or hear things that aren't even said.

Please, go read my first post. I said I want to diversify. That means many different car companies. Not just Toyota. Your misrepresentation of what I said speaks loudly of how you really think...

A diverse movie would have the same cars that you see on the road - GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Acura, etc, etc, etc.

See how there aren't any Ferraris or Lambos? It CAN be diversified without including those. You're using extreme examples is really poor argumentative style.

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Very nice. I did not hijack my own thread. The FIRST comments about GM and the economy and stocs was by you. Not by me. I kept the thread about the TF movie and car brands. You were the one that hijacked it.

I am not upset at all. Let the US public and free market capitalism determine which companies thrive and which companies die. Thats what Americans always say they are about. So let it be that way. If GM tanks, its due to poor planning and bad product.

14. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Okay. Now you've moved onto personal attacks. I've already explain why I think Hasbro wouldn't do "diversifying" before you went on your anti-GM rant. If you actually read anything I've said, we wouldn't be having this argument.

To make my self clear, why wouldn't Hasbro make a deal with everyone? Because it doesn't need to! Transformers isn't about diversification. It's about robots killing each other. And it doesn't need 10 car makers to do that. Sheesh. If you have a problem with GM, go join a car forum to vent, not here.

15. 35InchMudders

Speaking solely on your attack against GM vehicles, I just want to state that you obviously haven't driven a lot of GM's mid to high end vehicles. There is no way you can attack GM for quality issues considering Toyota has been having more quality issues lately (FJ Cruiser bodies cracking and ripping, anyone?) than anyone.

No matter how much I dislike how GM handled HUMMER's marketting, I'm not going to disregard the amazing 180 they've accomplished in quality.

But, it's a TF2 movie thread, and you've turned it into a GM vs Japanese brands thread.

Whatever.

16. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

No, sir, I did not. You did. Kindly read through the thread again please. Its only 2 pages long - should only take you a couple of minutes.

I talked about car brands and the TF movie. One of my arguments was to align TFs with a successful brand that isn't looking at the possibility of going bankrupt.

Your first post had nothing to do with the movie and more about how GM tanking is bad for the entire US economy as a whole. Who do you think hijacked there?

17. 35InchMudders

I'm not going to bite, but just to clarify, my response was precisely on topic. I mentioned how GM was the only car company willing to have ANY of their vehicles in the movie, and on top of that, willing to INVEST in the movie. You're not taking that into consideration at all. That's the biggest reason why Hasbro/Bay went with GM.

You can play ignorant all you want, but you very well know that you started talking about GM going bankrupt, and I responded to that portion. I didn't change topics, just elaborated on what you said.

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Sir, you make claims that are purely extreme arguments. You speak of certain things but then won't talk about them. For instance, this statement you made:

"But if you wanted the movie to better represent the US market, we'd see Optimus Prime as Toyota Prius, Ironhide as Toyota Camry and Bumblebee as Honda Civic. "

That is a great example of extreme arguments. You characterize all the autobots as Japanese cars. Eventhough, not every car in the US is Japanese. Thats where you give a great example of something I took - asking for diversification - and twist it into making it seem like that I want all the TFs to be Japanese cars.

And if you were to read the 2nd or 3rd line of my very very very first post, you'd see how I said I understand its about money. Maybe you're the one who needs to read...

19. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sigh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.