Customs: possible to fix warped plastic?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deruberhanyok, Nov 8, 2009.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the answer to this is either "no" or "not without a disproportionately large amount of effort" but I thought I'd ask.

I'm pretty sure the parts are junk, but if anyone knows a cool trick for fixing warped plastic, it would save me the $25 to buy replacement figures so I can try this again. :) 

-----

My first attempt at dying - a classics seeker - has been very educational. I was just using RIT dye and water, boiling and dipping pieces and also allowing them to soak overnight once it cooled. Things I've learned for anyone thinking of embarking on this:

1) There are some parts that suck the dye right up, acetone not necessary. They go quickly so if you're dying a dark color find these before doing anything else; if they sit for long enough they'll just end up black, which may or may not be what you want. Dye separately from the others or before adding acetone to the mix.

Best way to figure out which parts do this for your figure is to just dunk each of them, for just a few seconds, in the solution of dye and water while it is hot. You'll know you found one that can be done without acetone if it significantly changes color after just a few seconds. :) 

2) Other pieces seem to take to it pretty well without the acetone but need a lot of short dips in the hot dye solution. Kinda risky as you might warp the plastic.

3) Your experience will go much smoother if you can fully disassemble the figure - every single pin and screw removed.