Customs: Possible Titanium Soundwave bash?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, Jan 19, 2007.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Like almost everybody, I'm a bundle of mixed emotions over the Titanium Soundwave figure. Sure, it's great to have a classic looking SW in metal... but the diaper-pants and the proportions are just off.

I thought of a way to reduce his crotch kibble, but it seems like that would cause some issues with the transformation. Even so, I noticed that in my digibash images, it still wasn't quite right.... then I got a thought.

If his elongated "waist" was on a sliding hinge rather than a stationary one, then the waist could collapse a bit (better proportions IMHO), and then slide out further in alt-mode to still allow the speakers/legs to line up with the side of the tape deck... eliminating the need for the sliding joints on his crotch, and making the giant crotch unnecessary. It would also make him a bit shorter... but the proportions would look better I think.

It would take some work (inserting a sliding slot inside the body cavity I think) and I haven't had a chance to really look this figure over in person... does anybody think this would work?

Here are some digibashed pics to show you what I mean:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    After studying the pics of both modes, it looks to me like that crotch kibble could easily be cut off, but it would result in a less square tape deck mode, and the legs would no longer be able to slide up and down at the waist. Whether or not that sliding is required for transforming, I'm not sure.

While loosing the "diaper" would be relatively easy, I can see that there may be huge problems in getting the waist to slide up and down like you say.

Of course, we can't be sure of any of this until somebody gets one and rips it apart.

EDIT: Upon further review, the hips wouldn't work in your new configuration. The way you have it, the legs wouldn't be able to collapse all the way for tape deck mode, they would hit the hip panels on the waist. That stupid long crotch IS needed for that.

You would have to cut out those hip panels, ALONG with making the waist halves slide out SIDEWAYS (just sliding the waist portion down farther wouldn't make them swing out any farther, they would just be lower), resulting in him looking like this:

[​IMG]

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm...I may need to try that!

4. SMOG

Yeah... I hear you. I was sort of thinking that if I was putting sliding grooves inside the body, I could either make them so they could slide out to the side more OR, extend them so that they -do- slide out to the side further (ie: they collapse in further for robot mode, but slide OUT further for altmode, compared to the normal, set configuration). It looks like there's probably enough hollow space inside the body to allow for it.

However your are RIGHT about how the hips would still get in the way of the collapsing legs in altmode... I guess that's the function that the elongated crotch serves. Here again, the die-cast presents a problem... if the legs were plastic, it would probably be easy to cut a slot into the legs to accommodate the hip protrusions. Nonetheless, I can't help thinking that there IS a solution. This figure is too close to being cool for me to let it go... (though, actually, your pic with the hips cut off doesn't look so bad).

So near, and yet so far.... sigh...

zmog

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It would have been so easy for Hasbro to get this guy right with some sliding joints and a bit of a remold, I don't understand why they messed him up so bad. Maybe it was just more cost-effective to keep him simple.

I would try doing all these mods, but I don't know much about working with diecast, and I bet the majority of the modifications that need to be done involve reshaping the metal body casing. What happens if you make a mistake when working with diecast? Does glue even stick to it? Solder it perhaps?

6. SMOG

Ugh... solder is a pain to work with. I don't think it would be advisable on a painted piece.

My GF does metalwork, so she has some tools, jewelery saws, etc... I guess if I was working with the metal, I'd just have to make damn sure that I'd doing it right the first time. :) 

I think I've convinced myself that I want to try this though... now I just need to find a Titanium Soundwave, and then I can add it to my heap of unrealized kitbash projects. ;) 

zmog

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I can see now what you meant about sliding further down would make them go further out...if the hip/waist halves had long sliding grooves cut into them, that would work. It would allow them to slide up farther into the body, and when the hips are split, it would allow them to slide out sideways along the same groove. If those parts are plastic and have enough room for a new groove, it may not be hard to pull this off at all.

I was thinking that grooves should be cut into the metal, and that shouldn't be necessary.

8. SMOG

I was thinking the same thing, and you're right... it makes way more sense to cut the grooves into the plastic!

Good thing I asked for suggestions on this... I think I just saved myself a lot of work. :) 

zmog

9. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Here's my take on it:

Big Tit Soundwave is a lost cause simply because the re-issue soundwave is coming out any day now. The re-issue looks better in both modes, and is more show accurate.

Not only that, it would be 100,000 times easier to kitbash modern articulation into reissue Soundwave's legs than it would be to kitbash good looks into Big Tit Soundwave.

The path to an updated Soundwave lies in bashing the reissue. Chalk up the big Tit as a lost cause and just let it be.

10. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    NEVER! He can be saved! He WILL be saved!

11. SMOG

LOL! I like the way you think. Stalwart misguided visionaries to the end! :) 

Besides... I already have G1 Soundwave. This is purely an attempt to take a G1-ish SW to the next level! :) 

zmog

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Nice digibash, SMOG, and a great idea. Its amazing, IMO, how such "subtle" changes make such a big improvement in his appearance, IMO.

13. SMOG

Thanks!

Yeah, it's amazing that the designers of the figure couldn't manage to balance the mechanics of what they were doing with a fundamental appreciation of proportion... and just plain coolness. In the case of this figure, it just seems so simple!

Oh well. More work for us, I guess. :) 

zmog

14. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

I have to agree... so much work... I mean how hard is it to make a decent looking robot from a boxed shaped object...

15. SMOG

LOL! No kidding! :) 

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Mine finally arrived in the mail today. I took him apart, and studied his guts.

While it's quite possible to pull off what we are discussing here, I don't know if I have the skills to pull it off. There's a LOT of cutting and filling to be done, and I'd also have to find a way to build new tops for the hip halves so sliding notches could be built into them.

I'll really need to study him some more and figure things out before I begin cutting. I don't want to run the risk of destroying him just to get half done and reach a part I can't make work.

Galoob, you suck. Minor changes could have been made to him and he would have worked in BOTH modes WITHOUT that stupid diaper. WHY DID YOU DO IT?

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It really is disappointing when you think about how just a few changes here and there could've made this guy so much better, same for the upcoming Ultra Magnus Titanium figure, such as enabling the arms to simply slide forward some in robot mode. Oi.