Possible reuse of footage????

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by littleiron, Jun 17, 2007.

1. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    http://www.mov8.com/dvd/freetalk_show.asp?id=42487

Someone spotted a footage from the trailer and found it identical to one from the Pearl Harbor (2001)
    The poster claims: the second image was taken from Pearl Harbor (the director's cut version) Disc II 23min 07sec

I'm not sure if this's true, anyone has the DVDs?

2. Ahkileez

Ahkileez Active Member

It's possible. Shooting that out in the middle of the ocean must have been expensive. It's an impressive shot that would be rarely used so why not call on it as stock footage?

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    same footage, 50 years later :p 

Pearl harbor was edited to have older looking radar towers, old planes, helicopters removed, etc

look at the Transformers pic, it is un-edited, jsut the original footage that was taken of the ships (modern radar/planes etc)

so technically its different

4. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Holy crap it is!! Look at the water wake. Look at the clouds. Look at the other ships in the background. The clouds and water wake are EXACTLY the same. Its the same shot, just updated.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Someone's got good eyes!
    Paramout didn't do PEARL HARBOR did they (I honestly can't remember!)? I wonder who owns the footage then... probably Bay himself if he had a producer credit on PH.

Not a bad cost cutting exercise, especially if it's a scene from the TF's coda when everyone in the audience is still catching their breath from the big battle and will hardly notice!

6. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Actually,

The shot is probably is original...The pearl Harbor version was the modified version of the shot to make things look older....Hence..It would be easier to erase elements from a shot then add them...So I think the present version is what was really shot for PH and then modified not the other way around....

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    EH it looks okay to me i dont think it is a bad idea considering how much money was spent on this film! So using stock footage is not a horrible idea

8. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Cool. But we aren't sure that that trailer shot will also be used in the movie, right?

9. TheJedi

TheJedi Autobot

Pearl Harbor

So, yes, Michael Bay has producer credits. And as Tr4nce said, we're not sure if the shot is in the movie. Lot's of trailers have footage that can't be found in the released movie afterwards.

10. redsquadron

The only time I can envisage a carrier being used in the film is a short scene at the end (I won't mention details), so chartering the U.S. Navy for something that could be done with suitable existing footage and a soundstage wouldn't make much budgetary sense.

Of course it could be a stand-in shot only for the trailer - it's happened plenty of times before - but that would be more likely if this was from the teaser and not the trailer itself.

11. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

Well, there's definitely a scene that features a fleet and carrier, so I'd say yes. May in fact be stock footage from the army's media division, since they're pals with Bay.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think you mean the Navy or the Pentagon ;) 

13. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    it's different aircraft carriers. lol.

14. redsquadron

Just placed in front of identical clouds and on the exact same sea?

15. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Ummmm. Look at the clouds. They are DUPLICATE. Look at the water waves. The are DUPLICATE also. Also look at the ships in the background. They are in DUPLICATE places. Its the same scene done up with CGI to be more modern.

16. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? It is ALWAYS easier to ADD stuff to a shot with CGI rather than erase it. The PH version was shot with either a prop bomber (propeller driven) or a borrowed one, and CGI planes were added to the scene for the Transformers movie.

A) There is significantly more objects in the "modern" version. To "erase" them (objects) means having to REPLACE the background (clouds). You would not only have to ERASE the object, but you would also have to draw in the clouds behind it in a convincing fashion. MUCH easier to fake a CGI object than convincing fluid clouds.

B) The older version has a CGI man walking across the deck. Since that is an exact same frame because of water wake position, are you actually saying that they ERASED the planes in the PH version, AND created a CGI man walking across the deck?

17. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Well-Known Member

The question still remains, is the shot used in the film itself? If it's not, then all of this argument is for absolutely nothing.

18. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I don't know. But the argument was the re-use of film, period. It did not assume it was in the movie. We know it was used in the trailer so the argument is not pointless. It was just asking a question if the scene we saw in the TRAILER was re-used.

19. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    good eyes whoever it was to spot that

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Unless this shot was entirely CGI, its likely they shot footage of a modern carrier group then modified the appearance of the ships in post production to make them appear period-specific.

For instance, on the far right in the Transformers screenshot, you can see what appears to be the tail of a helicopter aboard a destroyer. In the Pearl Harbor screenshot they appear to have covered up most of the tail, with the part where the tail rotor was mounted is still visible (its the slanted bit).

And chill - no need to start e-shouting at random people.