Possible PS3 Backward compatibility device

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Zathras, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I would love them if they did make that. My PS2 library would get a full run through.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Is this about the usb devices they confiscated weeks ago and put out the latest patch so the devices can't work, only to use the technology themselves?

Can't read the site at work :( 

4. Zathras

No, this a new device that seems to act has a Mini PS3 able to read and play PS2 games

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt it, but I'm sure those USB devices were going to be used primarily for illegal game downloading, so I can't fault anyone for combating potential piracy. I seriously doubt people were going to buy this to make their PS3 into a calculator with homebrew.

Don't need this because I have a 60 Fat, but I would buy this (if it were reasonably priced) for my fiance's slim. But honestly, Sony seems to be releasing a lot of the better PS2 games on PS3 with an HD upgrade, and the more of these comes out, the less I find myself looking back.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    ooooooooh. Interesting.

Hey Sony, I have a mini PS3 device already, its called a PS2.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    At least if this becomes a reality, I won't have a coronary if my launch PS3 dies on me.

8. Zathras

Maybe i should have said a Mini PS2 connected to your PS3... would be more accurate description I think

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're referring to the dreaded Yellow Light of Death: My friend's 60 fat died on him recently, and he sent it to Sony and specified that he wanted the same type of system, and he received his fully BC 60 system in working order. So you should be ok. I've been worried about mine. It's starting to sound like my non-slim 360 out of the box. Cross between Jet Engine and Lawn Mower.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    One thing you have to do with the PS3 is constantly clean the vent areas and make sure the fans are dust build-up free. I keep canned air by my systems at all times. It's probably the reason my launch 360 hasn't ever RROD'ed yet (well that and playing only 10 hours a year on it).

11. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Yeah my 80Gb backwards-compatible PS3 is starting to stop reading certain games, so I am thinking the Blu-Ray drive is starting to crap out on me :(  Not too keen on sending it to Sony for $150+, but hey - I want to keep my backwards compatibility!

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

for reals? take out bc and sell it back to us? LOL

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol yeah. My fiance looks at me strange every time I bring out the vacuum and use the hose to vent out my PS3. She says, "You treat that damn thing like your new car."

I love my 60Fat. I use the card slots to show people photos and videos shot with my AVC HD camera (so the videos play straight on the PS3 in HD), and the extra USBs would be seriously missed, with Keyboards, PSEye, Logitec Controller and BluTooth Headset charger plugged into them. Upscaled PS2 games look pretty awesome, especially games like SOTC. So I definitely try and take care of this thing. I need to buy some canned air though. Might be less dramatic than a vacuum, lol.

Normally I'd say this sucks, but the slims did reduce cost to create the system, so people who didn't give a phok about BC could pick up a PS3 cheaper, much like HD-less 360s. Now, the option is available to those who want it.

I also got my auto charge from Live this week. 10 bucks now instead of 8, with no noticable added value to my service whatsoever. So in the words of the Cranberries, "Everyone is doing it." in their own special way. :) 

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *tentatively readies happy-dance*

Now to find me some copies of Kingdom Hearts, and a few others...

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    IMHO, Sony should just start releasing PS2 games at their store, kind of like how they're selling PS1 Classics.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd buy that for a dollar. It would sure as hell help with shelf space. I've double dipped on some PS1 games for that reason alone. And to be able to play them on PSP also.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I don't want to have to re-buy my PS2 game library. I already paid for the games, I should be able to enjoy them again. This is why I want Backwards Compatibility on my PS3.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Y'know, if they'd said something about this when I bought my PS3, realised I could barely play any of my games, and had to trade them in to afford a second controller - then I might have been interested.

Sony should just make the PS4 and fix their mistakes with a clean slate, IMO.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So basically it's a big box that contains a PS2 and just takes control of the screen, drives, and controllers. Lame, lame, lame - they never should have removed it in the first place.

If I had a newer PS3 I'd feel like I was getting cornholed at this point. I'm sure the thing will cost at least $50.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

If it plays import games I'd be in Heaven!!!