Possible Lost Odyssey 2 Discussion (Warning: Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Dec 31, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Just beat Lost Odyssey and I'd say that with a new battle system, Mistwalker and Hironobu Sakaguchi (Mr. Final Fantasy) could make a Lost Odyssey 2.

Warning: This thread contains spoilers related to the story of Lost Odyssey. If you do not wish to be spoiled, then turn away now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, at this point, if you're still here then let's get to it.

Lost Odyssey left the door open for several possible sequels. First, by leaving Ming, Sarah, and Kaim in the Uhra/Gohtza/Nomura world as immortals, a sequel featuring the three could take place 1,000 years in the future. At this point in time, the world could have all but a few forgotten the ways of magic and purely focused on technology, so much so that it drains the planet of its resources. This could have a very steam punk-styled theme to it.

Another avenue would not be a direct sequel, much like how most Final Fantasy titles do not relate to one another. In the game, the alien world in which the five "immortals" came from watches over multiple worlds, one of course being the setting for Lost Odyssey. A sequel, a Lost Odyssey II, could take place on another world with all new characters and some new immortals. Perhaps after Seth returned to her home world, the alien world, with Gongora in custody, he escapes and flees to another of these observed worlds. Then, leading a team of characters, new immortals, Seth begins the pursuit.

Either way, I would want to see another spectacular story, jaw-dropping visuals, a new original battle system, the return of the legendary trio, something that has not been seen since the early days of Final Fantasy. Have Hironobu Sakaguchi focus on game design, Nobuo Uematsu handle the music, and bring back Yoshitaka Amano as the character designer. He hasn't handled character design for a Final Fantasy in a long time. He only does logo artwork for the FF series now as a freelancer.

[​IMG]
    Amano's artwork for Final Fantasy I

2. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

I'd like them to continue the series but more like Final Fantasy where each game is unconnected. truth is I've not beaten it yet.. 4 discs on the Xbox is a huge game... I thought it was huge on the PSX.. but its bigger on the Xbox..

I've been really unhappy with the last couple of Final Fantasy games (the last one I liked was 9).. so I'd like to have a replacement series for it..

3. strscrm

With every side quest completed and every character maxed on abilities, it took me about 108 hours to beat, DLC dungeon not included and all dreams unlocked, but unread. That really says a lot since most games on the consoles these days take around 12 hours to beat, often less. RPGs are lucky to reach 30 hours with 100% completion, so this game is truly worth the value. You can probably pick it up for fairly cheap since it has been out since February.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Lost Odyssey enough. It was the closest thing to an old school FF game with updated visuals that I've played since FF9, which kinda felt like the last "old school" feeling FF game. However, I still loved FF10 and 12, they just had major shifts in style for better or worse (I still like explorable world maps, which Lost Odyssey did have once you were riding in vehicles). Lost Odyssey has great potential to grow.

In a sequel, the first thing I'd like them to do is speed up combat. Thanks to loading times and enemies with high HP or enemies that needed special abilities to kill, normal random encounters were a bit too long, almost causing me to quit at points if I died and lost progress. I'm ultimately glad I didn't quit, but the battles need to be shortened. I don't even mind tough enemies- but I still feel they should shorten the battle times. Maybe making the battles like Chrono Trigger so you see the enemies and nothing new has to load besides animations AND making the general exchange of blows go faster. I know that I played through FF6 again soon after beating Lost Odyssey, and you could finish a battle in that faster then you could take your first swing in even the easiest of battles in Lost Odyssey.

Storywise, I would like to see it somehow be a continuation of Kaim and Sarah's story, but so far in the future that the world has changed beyond recognition. Or, maybe that you play as one of their children way down the line. Oh, and no twins. But, I could easily see another antagonist being another being from Kaim and Sarah's homeworld.

On another note, one of the most important things for me with the old FF games was the soundtracks. While Lost Odyssey had Nobuo Uematsu and the music was good, I would really like to see Mistwalker take it even more seriously and really give Uematsu a lot of freedom and budget. His soundtracks have really made some games amazing for me.

5. ginrai

I actually bought an Xbox to be able to play it.. and then bought a HDTV to be able to read the dreams. And then real life intruded and I had to quit playing it.. But I just found out I'm off today.. so maybe I can get some progress done..

I just polished off Fable 2 in like 3 days playtime... which never happens.. it was ludicrously short.. but I guess thats why we buy Japanese RPGs... More Bang for your buck.

Yes I really like the music in FF games normally, and I agree that 9 was the last one that really felt like an " Old school " ff game.. I just finally got 12 not to long ago from EB and I started playing it.. I rather liked it.. I've just not had much time to dedicate to it. I hated 10 though..probably because it started the trend of having the characters actually speak rather than be presented by text bubbles.. I like to be able to linger and re-read the text so I don't miss anything.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really love FF12 but it really does have a different feeling then the others. More serious, more mission and combat based rather then story based, and more side quests then main story content.

One other thing about Lost Odyssey... I'm a straight male, but I really get annoyed at female character designs that are just overtly revealing. Sarah's (who is generally meek and would be considered "geek hot", cause you know, she has glasses) dress is modest everywhere besides her giant boob window, Ming's design is ok except her ginourmnous amount of cleavage which actually has realistic veins textured on her flesh, and Seth's outfit is generally revealing, but at least her's makes some sense. I like breasts just as much as the next guy, but I prefer great character designs, and for an RPG like this, I just don't take characters oddly dressed like sluts seriously. This isn't the only offender of course, but is still an offender. So please, put good character design as a higher priority then exploiting woman and appeasing the horny young male audience.

7. ginrai

I call this Red Sonja Syndrome.. The Less clothing or armor a female is wearing the more protection it offers.

I think that was the other thing I really liked about 9.. Because the character models weren't super realistic.. they didn't feel the need to make them wear revealing outfits.. I think that sort of started with FF10 also. but wasn't too bad.. but every game does it now to a certain extant I think.. much like everything else .. sex sells.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I'm planning on picking up LO on Friday. I was going to pick it up last week but Best Buy was out of them. It sounds like a cool game, can't wait to play it.

9. strscrm

That was rather bothersome at first, but I just learned to ignore it. You might expect that thing on Ming, but its not quite becoming of a queen though, but with Sarah, its entirely out of place. You expect Sarah to be the motherly bookworm, she is but dang, what a rack!

Since the character designs were handled by manga artist, Takehiko Inoue, would you expect anything else? Actually, looking back at some of his previous work is rather disturbing. Perhaps not the best choice. Which takes me back to Yoshitaka Amano. None of his work on FF1-6 was ever sexist. The shift was FF7. While his work was the basis for the characters in the game, they were re-imagined by Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura's designs were better suited for the early 3-D graphics since the character models just looked closer to the anime artwork. Tifa was FF's Lara Croft, then it all fell apart from there.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

LO was pretty awesome, and Im pissed that I could'nt find all the treasure for the last achievement I needed for it.
    980 = :mad 

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

damn, from the sounds of it, this game is really worth it....sadly, its on the 360...something i dont have and dont plan on getting anytime in the near future.

12. strscrm

Did you try the Auction House in Saman. Often times they will offer items that you missed in the field?

13. TheIncredibleHulk

Picked up Lost Odyssey today. Sounds awesome, I've been wanting a classic like RPG for a long time. Probably play it for a while tonight after the wife leaves for work. Had to drive 40 minutes to get it at Best Buy (since I had a BB gift card)

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ha, and I saw the title and thought, how could someone have spoilers when they lost this:

[​IMG]

15. TheIncredibleHulk

Playing LO now. So... if the dude's immortal, why does he have HP? :sly: 

16. strscrm

Actually, if a mortal falls in battle, you have to use an item or magic to revive them during battle. If an immortal falls in battle, if you haven't revived them after several turns they will revive themselves with a little bit of HP. In the game, an immortal's death is really them just getting knocked unconscious for a short period before recovering.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

Ah, so if everyone loses their HP at the same time, its game over I guess.