Customs: Possible Kitbash, need ideas/help.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    OK so I recently ordered a Movie Big Daddy, I'm gonna use him as a Classics Burnout and he will be among Springer, Broadside and the others in my Wreckers collection.

I was planning to kit bash his chest/grill compartment.

The first idea I had was to hollow it out a bit, ie remove the arm and claw, and fix it so the grill opens and closes without the key and it can store a folding gun inside it and if I leave a piece of the arm in that should give me something to push the gun forward so it's easily removed.

The second idea I had is probably more complicated but seems useful/neat. I was thinking of removing the claw arm completely as well as any parts that made it work and only leave the grill doors on. I was at walmart checking for the new classics and I came across a yo-yo-ball. I thought it'd be cool to put this yo-yo-ball's "motor" into Big Daddy's chest to give him a sort of wench thing and replace the standard loop on the strings end with a hook or tri-pronged claw a la doc ock. I thought since I wouldn't need the key anymore I could probably clean out his key port and store the fold up gun there instead.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on a kitbash like this?

Side question: I was wanting to get rid of Big Daddy's "ears" is there an easy way to do this such as unscrewing his head, taking the ears off and turning them inside out so they dont stick out and he doesnt have holes in his head?

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I like your ideas, but I'm not sure how practical they are. Have you actually opened him up to see how everything currently works? I did when I repainted mine, and I really can't see how it could work.

For one, you can't really take the claw out without removing the grille doors; they're moulded into the claw mech itself. If you removed the claw system, you'd need to come up with an entirely different system to reattach the grille and find a way to make it open.

And there's not that much room where the key port is to stash a gun, either. The little flap that opens to allow access to the key is literally just wide enough to get the key nub through, and it'd take a fair chunk of re-engineering to make enough space, unless you're not bothered about keeping the rear window intact.

Not saying it wouldn't be possible, but I certainly don't see how offhand; it definitely wouldn't be a simple mod.

As for the 'ears', you could probably open the head, remove the springs, and just glue them in the 'up' position.

3. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I have yet to get my hands on my Big Daddy, he was delivered to my mom's house 30 miles away and the only time I have a vehicle is at 1am to 6am and usually she leaves my packages outside but now she's not doing that, she has it inside the house and the door is locked.

If I can't do anything with it I'll just leave it as is, no harm no foul. If it's able to be done I may just remove the claw and build a drawer type thing that slides in and out with the grill glued to the front of it. I'll just have to find a gun small enough to fit inside it, I have yet to measure the compartment size so none of this may work.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Ah, see, that might work. You might be able to grind off the claw parts from the grille and make some kind of flippy or slidey mechanism to open it (Sounds like a bit of styrene work to me).

For guns, I was initially thinking BW Terrorsaur/Lazorbeak for the folding, but that'd be too small, and you'd still need to amp them up to having 5mm handles.
    I've found that Armada Sideswipe's gun (or any redeco thereof) makes a really good generic pistol - I've used one for my Classics BB and modified one for Cliffjumper, and they're small enough to store quite easily as well (they fit between the arms in alt mode for those guys).

5. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I use Armada Sideswipe's gun for my Classics BB too, Classics CJ has Energon Rodimus's cannon, I'm probably gonna repaint them later as the clear plastic weapons look weak compared to gun metal gray cybertronian guns.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, both of mine were repainted black, with CJ's getting part of a Games Workshop Necron gauss flayer pinned on to serve as a glass gas canister... :)