Possible interesting tidbits related to ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by CookSux, Mar 24, 2009.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sent this msg over to Vangelus via pm, but didn't get a response. This makes me think that the topics mentioned here are actually a waste of a post. I actually don't know if these facts have been mentioned at all, though I'm sure people have picked up on it... I don't personally follow spoilers much.

-I met a producer from transformers (won't mention his name) twice, on the set of films that I worked on last winter, and though I refused to hear any inside spoilers on TF2... he did mention to me that Jetfire is the blackbird. That in itself is not the new fact, but the fact is that they chose the blackbird to pay homage to the X-Men films they did as well.

-Steven Spielburg also only got interested in doing the first TF film because his son, Max, took Don's pitch and wholeheartedly convinced his dad to get involved. The whole aspect of him always being interested is a front. If it wasn't for Max, this movie wouldn't be what it is now.

Take that for what you will folks.

2. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

who cares?

3. ThaRizla

ThaRizla Well-Known Member

Man, the guy just wanted to post something . . . .If you didn't like it you didn't have to reply to it.

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Ouch. A little abrasive wouldn't you say?

The Jetfire thing...I dunno. I get the idea, sure, but I just don't see why it'd be necessary.

As for Spielberg's involvement? That sounds entirely plausible. From all I've heard, this property was a hard sell in the beginning, and that a lot of studios passed on it.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'd probably choose it anyway due to the fact that it's one of the most badass looking jets ever.

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

"this movie wouldn't be what it is now"
    What...bad? Are you saying if Spielburg hadn't been involved in the movie it wouldn't have been bad?
    Spielburg is a good director. And you can bet if he was the actual director of the movie, it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I mean, it's not like Spielburg hand-picked Bay to direct it, and said he was perfect for it. OH WAIT.

8. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm aware of the fandom scorn, but i was just making a post to say that they're just little things that people can add to their trivia. Not like I claimed that it was earth shattering news.

Don Murphey's camp was the one who wrote the original treatment and wanted to make Transformers a harkening to G1, like how they handled the X-Men franchise. The choosing of the Blackbird was a little nod/homage to the fact that they made the X-Men movies as well.

I only state the Spielberg thing because the whole behind the scenes featurette on the DVD gives the impression that he always had a fascination and interest for the brand as a movie. Which itself is just a front.

I'm just saying, that it wouldn't have come to fruition. The only reason why it was made was because Spielberg has the power here in tinsel town. I also believe that if Spielburg directed this film, it would have been far different, and possibly even worse than what it is. I'm not praising Bay for what has been made... just that for what it is, it could have definitely been worse.

9. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    yeah, but spielburg always has george lucas hanging over his shoulder, waiting to ruin things. i think even he's started to realise that. god damn i hate george lucas.

10. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I don't get why so many people on these boards find it necessary to bash people for trying to DISCUSS something on a DISCUSSION FORUM. I'm still pretty new to posting here, so maybe it's not my place to speak up, but that IS the point to these forums, is it not?

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The point was there's a good chance it would have not been made, at least not by a major studio and not with the budget it received. As I recall, Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto shopped this project all over Hollywood for quite some time before Dreamwave picked it up.

It may be hard to imagine in light of the movie's (surprise) success and the subsequent scramble for robot franchises and rip-off series, but at one time, nobody wanted to do a Transformers movie.

12. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Didn't Spielburg in some interview say how he remembered the toys when his kids were little and found them interesting and wondered how it would work out on the big screen.

Well it worked and may it continue to do so

13. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I came in here to say one thing;

Steven SPIELBERG

that is all

14. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Ya because kingdom of the crystal skulls was awesome lol

Honestly Spielberg lost his edge as a director some time ago. His movies arent what they used to be and he is mostly an average director now. Hell even as good as Jurrasic park 1 was the kids screaming every two seconds and the stupidity almost kills it. Oh and dont forget he did Jurrasic park 2 so you can see there is a decline here.

As for Bay I get the feeling this was a one last shot a redemption and you dont turn down S Speilberg im sure. Michael Bay makes movies fast and under budget any one else catching the idea here. He made the movie under budget and mostly on time so it makes the studios happy as it almost ensures they wont lose money.

As for the Black bird nod I dont really care one way or another but almost no one cares or noticed thats why they did it. To me thats a bit selfish when maybe there were better options for jetfire. Not that i dont love the SR-71 blackbird because i do just saying this movie is about them really.

Actually it was the intial pitches that were turned down except for one guy at either paramount and dreamworks who knew of Transformers and knew it was a big deal. When people started to realize around the industry the size of the fan base those other closed doors were opening but at that point the deal with paramount was already done. Atleast thats what was said by Don Murphy in a couple of video interviews.

15. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    What I want to know is where the hell has Tom Hanks been all this time?

Of all the people, you'd at least think he would try to get involved with the Transformers movies.

I mean hell, the man came on Leno and sang, SANG the them song on national television.

16. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    He's currently at Hasbro HQ trying to convince them that skyscraper Transformers are boring. Kids love dinosaurs and robots, not skyscrapers!

17. netkid

News Credits:
    I know, he's really pushing for those Prehistoric Insecticons to be in the mainline.

"Oh giant Grasshopper Kickback, kids will never know how truly awesome you are..."

18. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He actually wanted to voice Optimus Prime.

OK, I love Tom Hanks, but you fans have to continue respecting Bay for going with Cullen.

But I seriously need a clip of Hanks singing the song.

19. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, and if Max Spielberg convinced his dad to produce a film of those toys they used to play with in the late 1980s/early 1990s, kudos to him.

20. netkid

News Credits:
    It's from the January 5th or 6th 2001 episode. I've been trying to find a clip for YEARS.

But yes, I completely respect Bay for going with Cullen. I know Cullen himself is pleased and honored.

And as for Tom Hanks, at least give him a role or voice a character. Maybe design a movie bot, heck a bit cameo at the least. The man is one of our greatest actors, and an amazingly nice person. He deserves something.