Possible dumb question about BotCon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Incepticon, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I've never been to a BotCon convention but am considering going to the one this year. That said, I really have no idea how these things work and have a couple of quick questions:

1. Are there different convention packages or memberships that you have to buy to attend? And are they different depending on the price you pay?

2. This is the most important one since it's my main motivation in going: are there sales booths to actually buy TF's from, or only displays to see what will eventually hit the stores?

Thanka!

2. Dio

Dio Scrapper

Yes, there's several options, depending on what "perks" you feel like paying for. Typically going with the biggest package is the best deal, since you end up getting everything. Say you bring a wife, kid, or disinterested friend who doesn't want to get the toys, though, and there's typically a guest package option you can pick up. We'll have to wait for official Botcon 2007 info for the exact details, but you will most definitely have options.

That's probably the major part of any Transformers convention. You won't be disappointed in that department at all :D 

3. rid

rid Well-Known Member

What is the price range of the packages. Just to have an idea of how much I can expect to pay. Are we talking from $10 to $100 or from $50 to $300, etc... And what would a typical package include (other then the exclusive toys)

I also wanted to know what sort of crowd is there. Mostly just the average John Does or mostly hardcore/diehard fans (read: geeks) who dress up funny (like that guy wearing the Optimus Prime cut out)?

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Primus Package= $250-300 depending on if you're a club member and get the discount

Protoform Package= $130 IIRC

$9 if you just want to pay at the door

The first day and a half are predominately geeks.

But when the Con's open to the public, well the crowd of average joes tends to fluctuate. Last year the Average Joes had a strong attendence. It's hard to say how this year's will compare

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    If you are going to buy the package then expect to pay $300 or more. If you are just looking to attend then around $30. As for the Crowd, a little of B and a little of A. You will be among friends and you will definately see something that will make you laugh. I do every year. as for sales, some will say otherwise but most of my best purchases were from Botcon. Not everyone sells their stuff on eBay.
    Bring cash or trade and keep your eye out for those deals.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. There was a VERY large dealer room last year; look for last Botcon's haul threads to see the sort of things people got; there's always a good mix of new stuff and old stuff. For example lastyear I picked up MP Starscream, but I also got a sealed set of MOSC Combaticons. And the year before I got a perfect MIB G1 Starsaber. This year, I'll most likely be looking for a MIB Dezsaras. :) 

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for the info guys!

9. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    also there well be room to room sale as well. some members will bring spare parts and there extra toys to sell out of hotel rooms as well.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
  11. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have at it...I have no power in this forum :( 

12. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that its predominately geeks. ... It's the more hardcore fans but it's not a cosplay fest that's for sure.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd say that it's predominately dweebs.

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, $300 for the Primus package? That's more money than I can earn in a year pet-sitting (I'm pretty much unemployed, Michigan's economy sucks and I can't find a decent job).
    One question though... this will be my first time going, and I'm not a member so I can't get the Primus package at the member's price, but... uh... gosh, this is gonna sound so stupid, but... is it possible that you can, well, sign up for the membership beforehand so that when you go to buy the package, you'll get it at the member's price? Just curious... it could save me some money...

15. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I should think you can. Thats a big selling point of membership to convention goers. But if you are in doubt, drop a line to one of the FP people, Brian or Pete I am sure will be able to steer you in the right direction.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    There hasn't been any announcement about this year's price packages yet, right? I figure we'd see one in the news threads soon; someone else said a week or so from now?

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Going by the last two years, I think you can actually purchase a membership + member-priced Primus Package on the same pre-registration form. :D 

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks... I really appreciate it. I want this trip to be a good one.