Possession

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by iron maniac, Aug 4, 2011.

1. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm re-watching Beast Wars for the first time in over a decade and enjoying the hell out of it, thanks to SHOUT!

Anyway, how good is "Possession"? Even better now than when I originally watched it. The writers nailed Starscream to a tee. I didn't notice the decepticon symbol on Waspinator's head the first time I saw the episode. They didn't miss a beat. I know there are obviously much better Beast Wars episodes but this one has always been my personal favorite.
    If you haven't seen this episode, do yourself a favor and watch it, especially if you are a G1 nut. It'll put a smirk on your face, guaranteed.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I love Possession. While Terrorsaur's VA doesn't quite nail the high-pitched voice of Starscream, he captures his speech mannerisms almost perfectly.

Plus sunglass-wearing TerminatorPrimal FTW.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, when i first started watching BW (around season 2), when the online TF community was in its infancy, I had heard about this epsiode and had to track someone down who could send me a copy of the VHS tape to watch. As you said, as a G1 nut, it was a great episode, and they nailed his personality perfectly

4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Possession was an ok episode. In my opinion, the first season of Beast Wars wasn't as good as seasons two and three were. The guy doing Starsream's voice did ok, but I prefer Steven Blum's Starscream.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That was the first ever exposure i had to the G1 Universe was this episode.

I learned about the 1986 movie that day.....They later played the movie that day on YTV back in 2004 for the 20th anniversery.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehe, I always wondered how the kids (no offense) watching BW as its own thing made any sense of the G1 stuff floating around.

Do you recall what your reaction was to learning that there was some kind of weird backstory?

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's like comparing apples to spaceships. Those two voices aren't even going for the same feel. Blum's Starscream is an entirely new take on Starscream. Doug Parker was trying to specifically emulate G1 Starscream's voice, not do his own.

That's like the most random thing ever.

8. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember going into Possession with almost zero prior knowledge of Transformers. I mean, sure, I knew of Optimus Prime and Megatron, the Autobots and Decepticons, but that was it. I knew nothing about G1. Watching this former Decepticon come in, steal Waspinators body, then attempt to take over the Predacons was interesting. I got to take a look at the original Transformers, the ones that came before me. I think if I'd been a few years older (I was 6 when the episode aired), I'd have enjoyed it even more. Not having seen Transformers The Movie, the names Unicron and Galvatron meant nothing to me. But going back and watching the episode now, having seen the '86 movie and (some of) the original series, I can fully understand all the references to G1. And because of that, I think Possession is one of my favourite episodes out of Beast Wars first season.

9. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I actually thought they did an excellent job emulating G1 Starscream's voice, personally.

10. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Wow, that must've sucked. No youtube yet.
    I vividly remember seeing it the first time around, I had to explain to my much younger nephew who Starscream was. Like I said though, I missed some things the first time so it was great seeing it again all these years later and catching all I had missed.

11. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

That was one of the episodes I saw as a child. I have yet to watch it again!

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Besides the VHS tapes, some stations were playing the G2 cartoon until only a couple of years before beast wars started, so when they started making the connections, I think there were a lot of fans who were able to catch on.

What I remember most from that era was that Beasties was not advertised at all as a Transformers series until the first episode game out. YTV had their "preview night" or whatever they called it for the season, and ho-hum, a bunch of CGI shows trying to match Reboot, I wonder what this Beasties show will be about... And then that guitar riff came on and "TRANSFORMERS" was below the show title and it all just kind of exploded from there. I couldn't believe how popular it got, so quickly, around where I was.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  13. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    "Power Surge" was the first episode I saw. My younger Nephew was watching it and I asked him what it was, he told me it was a new Transformers series called Beast Wars. I watched it with him and I was hooked instantly. The rest is history.

In a way it is rough re-watching these episodes now as my Nephew passed away back in 2006. That was our thing, watching Beast Wars together back in the day. :( 

14. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oooh, sorry for your loss there.

And about the episode: I'd say if this episode, along with The Agenda, Optimal Situation and about any other episode with direct references to G1 that work well don't win over any G1 nutty, I don't know what will.

15. iron maniac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Thanks. He was only 23. Let's just say he got into a "bad crowd". Horrible situation that could only end one way, unfortunately. :( 

16. joshferrell

joshferrell Well-Known Member

well as far as "possession" goes like Lennon said "imagine no possessions"..lol...just kidding..I like that episode and saw it when it came out originally and thought it was cool..I knew that it wasn't the same voice actor doing his voice and little did I know at the time that the original voice actor (chris latta) had died..