Posseabiity or aesthetics?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Another annoying question for you :lolol 

When you choose to buy a new transformer, what do you prefer? That the toy looks great? The way he moves and the poses you can achieve with it? A good mixture?

Personally, I prefer a good mixture. I don't buy "ugly" transformers. However, I have Energon Rodimus, which I liked his design, but his posseability is really poor IMO.

I love it when a Transformer is good looking and posseable.

2. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Mixture. Antor factor is if it is goning to fall appart **Cough** Titanium Megatron **Cough**

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I look for a combination. I got back into collecting with RiD, and the car Brothers really set the bar high, something that really hasn't come close to being attained...there have been some decent toys out with similar articulation like Cybertron Crosswise, but he doesn't LOOK as cool as the Car Bros. Not that I don't enjoy the new stuff (I Love Cybertron) I just like the articulation and the looks of the Car bros, thats all.

4. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I completely forgot to mention that :p  , but I asume that we'll buy something we wish to not tear apart.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I guess I go for the mixture as well, but if it doesn't look good it pretty much stays on the shelf or is bought on an impulse (looks at Cybertron Thundercracker).

6. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus TFW2K5 Sailor

Looks over posability. I've got figs that I love that just stand there like stones.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Does it look good? Even better if it has a striking pose (without falling over or apart) A new consideration with Titanium.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I generally go for a combination of the two. I do tend to put asthetics ahead of articulation, though. My favorites are the ones that both look cool as hell, and can strike a pose.

9. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

A good mixture would be ideal,but if it came down to a choice I'd go for looks over poseability. My TF's are rarely handled anyways(I rarely even open them anymore) so being able to pose them isnt high on my list of priorities.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

A good mixture.

But if I had to choose, poseablity. It's hard to be badass when your a brick.

11. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

A mixture is the obvious answer.

Honestly, a well-sculpted brick is still a brick. No matter how you cut it, it will only look so good. An overtly static pose will suck the life out of any transformer. This was forgiveable with G1, but today my expectations are higher. At the same time, no amount of poseability can save a truly "ugly" sculpt.

Look at the excellent sculpting on a figure like Armada Overload. Despite this, the lack of poseability kills the figure for me. No matter how you position him, he is still a brick. He looks positively lifeless, and is easily one of the most boring figures I have had the misfortune of seeing. Where I am able to forgive this in my G1 figures (nostalgia plays a big part there), in a modern Transformer, this is an absolute deal breaker

That being said, I don't play with my Transformers, so I don't really care if they have a full range of poseability. For example, Alt Sideswipe/Deadend's lack of leg articulation never bothered me as it is still possible to position him in a number of interesting or dynamic poses. The fact that these two alts are well proportioned with clean transformations makes them both appealing to me.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mixture, though looks usually wins over poseability for me.

I used to think toys needed the full set of articulated joints to be good, but I found more often than not I was just as happy if the toy could stand in robot mode in a 'natural' looking stance.

13. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Though I do love a fair amount of articulation, I prefer looks more. My big problem is with toys that don't have actual hands in robot mode. Even if it's only one hand and the other is a weapon of some sort (Shockwave/Blast or AEC Red Alert).

I blame it on growing up with G1 toys. So what if it's a brick, at least with 4 fingers and a thumb, it's a humanoid brick. :D 

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Since saying "mixture" is cheating (CHEATING, I say!), and I can only go with one, I'll say aesthetics. Which is probably why I love Overload/Ultra Magnus/Sentinel Maximus so much...

15. unafraid

unafraid Banned

Ebay:
    Transformers that look good and have a lot of playability. Unless it's of MP level, I don't really care for poseability (see G1).