Positive Ebay moments

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Fishdirt, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've gotten great deals on ebay, had great communication with several people but I have never ever won a bidding war until today. Granted it was dinky but I was really happy to come in under budget and beat the other bidder. I guess it counts as an internet rush :) 

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congratulations. Winning an eBay auction bidding 'war' is always a thrill!
    Beware though... That feeling can become addicting!

3. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Back when I was 16/17 I used to win and lose bidding wars all the time. It can be quite addicting, but it's not too bad when you don't have any bills. I'd cash my check at work (worked at a grocery store at the time), then immediately spend it on money orders.

Unfortunately I don't remember any specific triumphs in regard to which figures I really had to fight for, but it was definitely a lot of fun.

4. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    This feeling for the most part has gone away thanks to esniping.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If people didn't bid such stupid amounts so early in auctions, sniping wouldn't be necessary. A lot of times it's the ONLY way to get what you're looking for.

6. BigToyAuction

BigToyAuction Well-Known Member

This is one of the things I absolutely *love* about my job. When two of my bidders get "auction fever" and go toe-to-toe at an auction it's almost always a great time, and I love being a part of it.

We had a charity auction about a year ago where two bidders got into a bidding war over a signed Eagles Jersey. Both dug in their heels and wouldn't budge, back and forth over it for nearly 5 minutes. At the end of the night, that Jersey, worth around $100.00 or so, went for over $3,600.

But here's the thing. I talked with both of the bidders afterwards, and they were absolutely *thrilled* with how things turned out. The non-winning bidder was happy because he knew he had exhausted the absolute highest bid he was willing to go and didn't feel like he was cheated at the last minute.

The winning bidder loved her item, was happy to pay the $3,600 for it since she was planning on giving to that particular charity anyway, and felt that she got good value by spending $3,600 for the experience of those 5 minutes of bidding and the feeling of victory at the end.

It was a fun experience for the room as spectators and for me as the auctioneer as well, just to watch it happen and it didn't cost any of us a dime.

We just had that event again this year not too long ago, and I had a chance to get feedback from that same lady again. One of the things that came up was how it was funny that the same item probably would have gone for no more than a few hundred dollars if we had done the same event online only with sniping software.