Posing of G1 Megatron's legs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cornholiocon, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

I just received the G1 Megatron reissue I purchased and had a question about posing his legs in robot mode.
    I don't like the way he looks with the hips fully extended and the legs spread so far apart as the instructions dictate since he appears ridiculously bow-legged so I only slightly extended the hips out from the waist and rotated his legs/feet about 45 degrees outward so that he remains balanced. I don't have my camera with me but I think he looks much better with the legs positioned closer together.
    My question is if any of you know whether this will prove to be a problem over time in terms of weakening his legs or making him unable to stand. Thanks.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

My Megatron is always displayed in bot mode with his legs together, his feet are slightly angled outward.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What weakens his legs, generally, is repeated transformations. Setting his legs up as you describe and leaving on the shelf, you'll be fine.

That's how I've displayed mine for years with no problem and it's a good way to stabilize Megatron, especially with how the fusion cannon throws off the center of gravity.

4. CowColor

CowColor Get Money™

I have no problems standing mines.

5. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

My original G1 is always in gun-mode but I have the Takara re-issue in robot-mode and in pretty much the same position you describe. As long as you don't transform it a lot or move it around constantly it should be fine. You could always make a sort of stand for him if you're really worried.

6. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

Great.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.
    Much appreciated.

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I had a few of my Megs out a couple of days ago, and was thinking about this very thing!

I have mine with the legs all the way out, it's how I did it as a kid, and just looks right (nostalgia) to me. I do see that having them not all the way out is probably a better TFation though.

The power of nostalgia :D 

Durability-wise, as Foster said, TFing him repeatedly is what causes the wear. Those plastic hips can break (my childhood one did), and the leg sliders will become loose, so he can't stand properly, usually leaning to one side. He's fine if displayed and TF'd occasionally.

I rotate which of him I TF to spread the wear, I keep away from MC-13 as much as possible.

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Like before mentioned, the only thing that will really make him weaker (ironically) is transforming him. I keep the legs together on mine as he is in display mode. The aesthetics of this toy arent going to be greatly improved regardless of how his legs set. If you prefer his legs a certain way, then knock yourself out. His leg positioning in display mode will not affect his longevity. Like Fosterlager said, you may need to adjust the legs away from where you ideally like to have them to counter the weight difference with his fusion cannon on. I keep my Megs with his gun and sword and leave his other accesories
    combined in the BFG mode.