Popeye copyright to expire in Europe.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder does the same goes for Popeyes Chicken fast food? Will their copyright will expire in 2024?

3. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Popeye's chicken isn't actually named after the cartoon character, but some other dude named "Popeye". The Popeye characters didn't become mascots until many years after the restaurant chain had been in business, and even today, are seldomly used by the place.

On topic, in all likelihood, Popeye'll just go the way of Betty Boop and have his face smattered all over t-shirts and crap; nothing substantial really being done with the character.

Still, if he's public domain in Europse, I wonder how long until he gets that way here in the States? He's experiencing a resurgence in popularity lately, and I doubt King Features Syndicate would like to share the wealth. Warner Bros' recent chronological Popeye DVD sets have been amazing, outdoing even the impressive Disney Treasures sets in the volumn of maticulous information they contain. Likewise, KFS has been releasing hardbacked, chronological collections of all the original Sieger newspaper comics. If I were wealthier, I'd pick those up, too.

Anyhow, that's cool for Europe, but I don't see Popeye becoming public domain over here any time soon.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

They have 40yrs after death, I believe the states have 95 years after death.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems they better pass the law that keeps the copywrights with the owners as long as it is used. Letting anyone use it is just asking for trouble. What's to stop them from releasing Popeye tampons?

I'm guessing that Europe Popeye stuff can't be sold in the US without paying a royalty due to the rights still being held in the US.

While I am not that big a fan of Popeye, I'd hate for Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck to be public domain.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Oh, there's just so much wrong with that post. Just...so much.

I'll leave it with a: Look up IP laws sometime.

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Spinach, the new steroids. More at 11.