Pop Artists

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Nov 19, 2011.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Kesha.

These thee women are all pop artists, that each try to take from each other, and make something that will get them hits on Youtube... That is the point? To be "Popular", but each look like a fool.

I understand the need for fame, I have that lust myself. However, I feel that... perhaps, those artists just try too hard.

Between the getups, the "deep" story telling, and subliminal messaging. It really makes me wonder why exactly it is, that those three artists seem to always grow in popularity, when one is a wannabe model, the other is just trying to get back at her parents, and the third is... Well, to be honest I don't know shit about Kesha...

The thing that makes me wonder though, is... Why? Why do people get obsessed with these artists? It just seems so insane to me. I understand that, little girls may listen to Justin Bieber, Or Jonas Brothers for their male appeal. But, Gaga, Perry, and Kesha don't bring anything to the table in terms of appeal.

Gaga, attempts sexuality, through provocative imagery. But, what is the point she is trying to get across? I know that Pop music is supposed to be one dimensional, and something you and your friends (if you are into that genre) can roll down the windows and drive around singing like fools. But, with Gaga it seems that, once you take away her odd videos, as of recent. She has become... To about the videos? Yeah, I think I will go with that.

If you take a comparison between, say. Bad Romance, and Alejandro. You can see the difference. For instance. The repetition in both songs, is very imminent, but Bad Romance just takes the "Yeah... sex sex sex, and don't forget the sex", where as Alejandro, attempts to tell a story through... Hispanic themes? I really don't know... and that is pretty much the bread about it, is that there is a story trying to be told... but it very much so misses the point.

On the Katy Perry end of the spectrum, her songs are a bit... Bi-polar to say the least. Between California Girls, ET, Firework, and The one that got away. It really leaves me questioning what to think of her.

In terms of her videos, they really arn't that bad. Her style is more so of the typical pop persuasion, and more often then not, it can tell a story if it wants to, but the song itself doesn't force it upon you. It's like you have the option, and I find that really nice. However, her music -is- pretty Bi-polar, in terms of it not knowing what it wants to be. Because, she has a album worth of light pop songs, then she cranks up the "FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF BECAUSE I SAY SO", because when that came out... seems as if every pop artist (Minus KeSha) was trying to join the bad wagon... Possibly due to the suicide of the homosexual teen who took his life do to harassment or, whatever.

Not that the tact is a bad thing, however. I feel as if it is less of a artists personal choice to do it, and more so the music companies want of greed that compels the artist to write a quick song about the situation so that they may further profit from it, and to that extent those songs really sicken me. Yes, it is nice to have songs that tell you to "Express yourself", but I feel as if that isn't why the songs themselves where written.

Finally, we have Kesha... the girl who thinks that proper dental hygine comes from swishing a bottle of Jack Daniels and going about her day. Honestly, i really have nothing else to say besides that. She is about as light pop as it gets... However, I feel like listening to her just kills half the ammount she lost from her morning routine.

So, all this being said. What is it that you all think of these artists?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Gaga and Katy Perry are okay. Perfectly listenable, but not on my favorites list. Don't give a shit about Kesha.

As an aside: after listening to Bliix's metal remixes of certain Gaga songs, I can no longer listen to the originals.

Lady GaGa - Dance In The Dark (bliix metal remix) - YouTube

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you're taking these artists and their music a little too seriously. Their celebrity is only as significant as the amount of attention you're willing to give them.

4. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I think that Gaga is more than her music, she is a kind person who loves her fans. She takes part in the writing of almost all of her songs.

I dunno much about Katy, her music is okay, little generic, if you ask me.

Kesha is a terrible party redneck booze freak whose songs are as generic as the get and as autotuned as possible.

5. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Being mostly a metal fan, I like Gaga's music because it's easy to dance to. Katy Perry has some catchy songs too, but I don't really actively seek either of their work out.

6. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Being mostly a metal fan, I like Gaga's music because it's easy to dance to. Katy Perry has some catchy songs too, but I don't really actively seek either of their work out.

EDIT: Erm, I don't know why this double posted.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually like Katy Perry's music; it's good when I just want something light and peppy as a bit of a change to break up what I normally listen to. It's catchy, light-hearted and fairly disposable, but that's what I'm in the mood for sometimes. Lady Gaga and Kesha each have a few songs that I don't mind listening to every so often, but I can't listen to their music for extended periods of time and, even the songs I like, I tire of fairly quickly.

As far as anything aside from their songs, I really don't care. I don't watch music videos, don't pay attention to what they do in their personal lives and ignore all the marketing and such surrounding them. If they put out a song I like, great. The rest doesn't matter.

If you "don't know shit" about her, other than nitpicking one lyric in one song, probably not the best example to include in the discussion of this subject, then.

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A Lady Gaga concert is a crazy experience. You get a crazy high from it, like when you go to one of those evangelist churches.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool story bro. You take time out of telling the kids to stay off your lawn to post that? =P

None of the things any of these artists do are truly groundbreaking in relation to mainstream music of the last 40 years, and whatever depth (or lack thereof) their work has is comparable as well to "pop" of that same span of years. They are just the latest links in a very long chain.