Poor Perceptor :(

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've noticed Perceptor shelfwarming where I live. I found this really surprising, but I go through the tons of 25th anni. boxes and there are no insecticons only Perceptor. I was wondering that if 25 years ago, was Perceptor shelf warming? Do parents look at the microscope and go "WTF? How is this fun?"

2. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    I see mostly the Insecticons shelfwarming around where I live, with a little bit of Perceptor every here and there. Weird, last time TRU had a commemorative exclusive (Soundwave), it flew off the shelves and is near impossible to find.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Soundwave was way more iconic than they are (he's the tape guy you know haha)

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

perceptor was probably a poor choice to begin with anyways; the figure itself isn't exactly all that rare; nor was he ever that popular of a character; nor toy. i think if they had gone with something like blaster; they would of had more luck. the problem is, is that these are 25 year old toys being sold among toys of today, they just do not look nearly as "fun" as the ones today, nor does any kid today know who "perceptor" is. even though toy wise; the figure is pretty damn good; especially in articulation for a g1. they should of tried blaster and perceptor two pack or something with a cassette or two. 4 transforming toys, would of probably sold a hell of a lot better, then just a microscope transforming robot, that kids today do not know; that or they should of made it a comic shop exclusive or something. instead of shoving it in kid's faces and expecting parents to buy it over the ROFT toys. i mean for a little over 3 dollars, you can get 3 deluxe transformers right? 12 dollars each, or a couple voyager class toys; what are they; 25 dollars each? these toys are way bigger; and more detailed; and the kids and parents KNOW who they are.

like mentioned; soundwave was an easy sell; and i bet optimus prime was too. they are iconic. and parents do recognize the names even those who never grow up with it, know who optimus prime IS. and knows what a tape player is.

g1's are just a hard sell today i guess. heck, even i as a collect find it harder and harder to want to buy g1's after years of rotf; animated, classics, beast wars, cybertron, and rid; have spoiled me. these are the toys i WISHED g1 was back in the day.

and to think when beast wars first came out; i bought the primal/megatron two pack and didn't buy another one for almost a year, because i HATED it, lol to me it wasn't the fact that they were beasts but the fact that they didn't really "transform" but you just flipped a switch; and they were robots, lol never liked that. though i still have those toys today. love them now :lol 

anyways; like i was saying; why would a parent want to buy a kid a 30 dollar transformer that is the the same size as a 25 dollar transformer; which is much more complex, more detailed, and just looks way more fun?

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    May also be '3 toys for the price of one', illusion. Not withstanding the fact that the Insecticons... are well small (just like insects!)

Still, Perceptor has a sort of boxy retro charm about him, and he's quite well articulated.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Ah yeah the price is a bit much for one toy when you get 3 insecticons for the same price. That could be a reason.

But that is sort of what I was thinking, people see the "cool" trucks, camaro or corvette and get that for kids instead of the blocky toys from 25 years ago.

Although I personally like the "old" toys better. Not that I don't like the new ones though.

I was only attributing his shelf warming to the fact he was a microscope.

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's robably right along the lines of what they expected. They gave it a nice box for display purposes not necessarily aimed at kids but at older adult collectors. It has only been a half a year too, and at 40 bucks a pop you can't expect these things to fly off of the shelves. Alot of TRU exclusives sit on the shelves for well over a year. Plus these things were restocked shortly before Christmas from what I thought. My mother-in-law couldn't get one at her local TRU so she had to order it online. And I am happy and thankful to her for it.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It comes down to cost. The original run of Hasbro reissues had the same problem, they were too expensive, and the average person will not spend $35 + on a deluxe.

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I liked your better as Jimmy Smits. I can't get used to change. :( 

10. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Blah blah blah not very iconic, blah blah blah Insecticon troop-building, blah blah blah $35 in this economy when they could get a ROTF Leader Prime.

11. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

Perceptor was a poor choice, even I , who does not have a ton of g1 toys, has a Perceptor.

Blaster would have been a homerun for them I think. I asked them at Botcon why they chose perceptor and never really got a real answer.

12. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

I might be a moron, but i thought this toy was aimed at collectors and adults and not children (with the hopes of some kids picking this toy up) When i was six buying g1 transformers, i probably would not have been buying toys that came came out in the sixties if they were sitting there next to them, but hell, maybe my dad would have. I remeber him always talking about how toys were so much better back in the day (now alot of us ~30yo feel the same way about today's toys)
    Anyways, back to Perceptor, when this commomerative edition was first released, they were flying off the shelves, heck, i was even nervous that i wouldnt get one. But now they are shelfwarming were im at too. So thats why i think its aimed at collectors, becuase they already got theres, now nobody is left to buy them. Perceptor is pretty cool, I loved him as a child, so i dont think it was a mistake to reissue him, but all these reissues turn out like this, I remember back when they first did the commemerative reissues, Jazz, Skids, Ricochet(whos that?), ect were shelfwarming for a while. Even the new prime reissue is shelfwarming at my toys-r-us (maybe because he is pink and 70 bucks?)
    Anywho, i hope hasbro keeps reissuing g1 toys, maybe they just dont need to produce as many?

13. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    It was a poor choice for Hasbro to release.
    The Takara collection 19 reissue Perceptor is still readily available(last time I checked anyway). In other words, if you really wanted a MISB Perceptor, you could get one.
    When I bought mine a couple of years ago, I only paid right around $40 for it, which is right around what the TRU reissue is going for.

So the TRU reissue was pointless for people like me.

14. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have original Insecticons already.
    Perceptor never really did it for me.
    But once these guys go on clearance for $15-$25 I'll pick them up for the shiny boxes.
    Also, G1 Prime is warming shelves around NJ at $65
    I got my re-issue the first time for $35 (I think) a few years ago.
    And I think the other re-issues were going for $29.99
    That $5 makes a big difference.

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Well, look at some of the first comm reissues. Silverstreak and some of the other autobots were shelf warming for the longest time.

I know I saw some Insecticons with Perceptor on the local Toys R Us shelf...maybe I should build my Insecticon army...

But in all honesty. I had to buy Perceptor because I loved G1, and would like to try and get as many as I can, without paying an arm an a leg. So, the TRU Reissues, work for me.

16. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The price definitely did not help. Think you guys got it bad? Perceptor and the Insecticons retailed at $50 Canadian each which, at today's exchange rate comes to $47.70, so be happy with your 'cheap' $35 G1s, Yanks! Despite that, I have no regrets paying that (bolted to a nearby TRU after work the same afternoon a sighting of those guys were confirmed there).

And not only were they mostly aimed at collectors, but collectors who missed out (like myself) on the TFC. I just hope this doesn't put the kibosh on any future plans on re-issuing decent G1s. Please, anybody but the standard Prime-Megs-Soundwave-Starcream quadfecta. Blaster would be nice.

17. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

This doesn't really surprise me. Personally I find the figure and character pretty boring, and the price prohibitive.

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the exception of the first wave of the Commemorative Series in 2002 (Optimus Prime, Rodimus, and Ultra Magnus) and the Soundwave reissue a couple years ago, EVERY wave of US G1 reissues became shelfwarmers almost instantly.

It's pretty clear that when you get out of those top-tier characters, the interest just isn't there for the general public. Stinks for us as collectors, but it's a pretty solid case study on why a full line of G1 reissues isn't cost-effective for retailers.

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Which is why they should have more HTS Exclusive Collectors stuff.

20. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

No doubt about it that the throwbacks are geared towards collectors. I can't for the life of me figure out why a kid who is into Transformers now because of the movies or animated series would have any interest in a character he doesn't know of to begin with; and to top it off, it's a stupid toy (Perceptor). I could maybe see a kid thinking the Insecticons pack of three looks cool and fun, but Perceptor? I'm 31 and appreciate the Hell of of the old school toys being re-released. Unfortunately I just got into collecting about a year ago and some of the few G1 toys I salvaged form my childhood consisted of the Insecticons and Perceptor; otherwise I'd have bought both on first site.