Poor cat...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CyclonuS_ZerO, Jan 7, 2012.

1. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    So I know most probably aren't gonna care, and might not even read this thread, but I think I just ran over a cat. Felt my car roll over something that I saw before I parked (thought it was trash cause there is usually trash all in my parking lot). Open my door to see the poor guy lying there. Not sure if it WAS me, but it looked too fresh to be otherwise. Feel terrible, only thing I could do was get a trash bag and put him in a dumpster to keep from getting more messed up....I love animals, and I love my cat as if he were my child. Feel so bad....

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, at least you feel bad. There are those who wouldn't even care. Some may even be so cold as to think it was "awesome." I remember driving down to Los Angeles from the Bay Area in California one summer. We were on I-5 and it was in the middle of the night. A rabbit jumped out onto the highway and there was no way I could have avoided it. All I remember was closing my eyes for a sec hoping that I wouldn't hit it. Unfortunately I felt that "bump" which woke up the passengers in the car. They were all like "what was that?" "oooh.....nothing....".......

3. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    That sux man. See I'm in a quandary cause I don't know if I killed it or not, and either way I feel bad, cause I shoulda stopped to see what it was in the parking spot before I actually parked. Everytime I see a poor animal on the side of the road like that I feel the need to get it out of the road so it doesn't get more messed up. There's no way I could just let this poor guy sit there knowing that I most likely did it. I hate the fact that I had to put him in a dumpster, but it's better than the alternative I suppose...

4. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I watched helplessly as a guy in a big black pickup truck ran over a tiny little ferret scurrying across the street.

I cried.

5. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I know what you. I love cats myself. Most of them are crazy though. You see them dart across your car as you see them in your headlights, and I'm glad I have never hit one of them. The other week I saw one at the entrance ramp and couldn't help but hope the poor thing would make its way back home safely.

6. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Well if you didn't kill it with your car, you certainly did with the plastic bag.

I was driving home once from having had to put to sleep a stray cat I'd been trying to save, when I saw a local farm cat trot out into the road, hesitate as I approached, and then turn to dash back. I couldn't help but count the number of bumps under my car. Five.

--Moony

7. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The alternative being a burial?

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Or driving the body to the humane society or nearest veterinarian?

--Moony

9. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Leaving it there to be further mutilated. No shovel, otherwise I'd prolly be outside digging this very moment.

10. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Well, if I were you, I would just accept the fact that you might have and move on with your life knowing that next time (as Moony suggested), try taking it to a vet to see if the animal could be saved. Though I don't know the exact condition the cat was in. But I'll take your word for it that it "looked" like it was done. No descriptions please.....I just ate lunch.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    It's alright, you'd didn't know. At least you know better, y'know? Don't beat yourself up about it...

I've seen a dog that got mutilated by a train. It's head was like, 5 feet from the body... And the stomach was gaping with a dead bird in it. Earlier that day I saw a dog that was smashed entirely flat. It was all pretty gross.

12. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    When you say you don't know if you killed it or not...I'm hoping that you mean you don't know for certain that YOU killed the cat? amirite?
    ...not that you're not sure IF it's dead...it IS dead, right?
    I think it would be much worse if you just toss the cat without knowing for sure it was dead.

If it is indeed dead, then yeah, it's not the nicest way to dispose of the body, but at least you didn't leave it in the parking lot.

Not yelling at ya, you feel badly enough, and this will probably make you more cautious in the future. This makes for a bad night for you and especially the poor kitty.

:rip  Kitty cat.

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty sure he meant that he didnt know if he was the one that ran it over and killed it or if another person had hit it first and killed it before he hit it.

14. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I hit a stupid bunny on I 290 south of Worcester, I tried to stop, but felt the bump under the rear left tire. I went up to the next exit, turned around and went back to look for him, but thankfully he was nowhere in the road. Man I'm still upset about the bunny and its been a month. Next time check to make sure I'd rather take them to a vet and be sure than to leave them or dump their little body, I've done that with 2: a nutria and a dog.

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I would stay out of the Cat Owners thread if I were you

16. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    Off topic.....your sig....is gonna give me nightmares.....

17. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    I feel so sorry for you. At least he is in a better place now.

18. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I am sorry to hear that. I've seen a few dead cats that have likely been run over or killed by a dog in my area. None of them have been mine fortunately. But I still feel for the poor little guys and their owners too.

19. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Yes, this is right, not sure if I was the one that killed it, but I'm pretty sure it was me. :(  (either way I pretty much took responsibility for it when I chose to pick him up off the ground) And trust me, I know the difference between picking up a live cat and a dead one. The guy was completely limp and other ugly details that I will leave out. Not beating myself up over it anymore, but I do still feel bad.

20. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Not sure if this will make you feel any better, but more likely than not, you did not kill the cat. A car is moving slow enough in a parking lot for a cat to usually be smart enough to get out of the way. It's one thing for a cat to dart in front of your car when you're moving pretty fast - it's another entirely for it to just sit there and let you run over it. It's quite possible someone else hit the poor thing and you ran over it again not too long after.

The whole thing still sucks, but unfortunately, there was nothing you could have really done. But I agree with some of the others. If it ever happens again, take the thing to a nearby vet just to be sure.