This is just sad... Polo Horses May Have Been Poisoned The 21 horses that collapsed and died Sunday in front of horrified spectators at the U.S. Open Polo Championship tournament were likely poisoned, according to investigators at the scene in Wellington, Florida. "Some died right away," Scott Swerdlin of the Palm Beach Equine Club told the South Florida Sun Sentinel. "Others lasted about 45 minutes." Each horse was valued at around $100,000, with many owned by Venezuelan banker Victor Vargas. He was said to have been "in shock and mourning" today. It remains unclear if the suspected poison was administered intentionally or by accident. Samples of the horses' vitamins, supplements, hay and other foods have been sent for analysis to the Kissimmee Diagnostic Lab at the University of Florida School of Veterinary Medicine. No one will know for sure what happened until at least Friday, when autopsies will be conducted on the horses, according to Peter Rizzo, executive director of the U.S. Polo Association. The tournament is scheduled to resume Wednesday.