Poll: Universe Hoist/Trailbreaker: What If?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Beemer, Jan 4, 2009.

?

What's most important for a Hoist/Trailbreaker Universe fig?

1. Proportionate robot mode

37 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. G1-accurate alt mode

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. G1-accurate TRANSFORMATION scheme

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. As long as they've got the same names, I'm good

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

Howdy everyone. I was looking at the reissue pics of Hoist and Trailbreaker (or more specifically, how bleedin' FUGLY those toys are) and I got to wondering: If HasTak decided to update these toys for the Universe/Classics line, where would I want them to take some creative liberties in order to bring them up to today's standards?

Personally, a G1 cartoon-accurate robot mode would be the most important, followed by an alt mode that hearkens back to their original forms.

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Get the robot mode right first, then try to get a good vehicle mode/transformation scheme.

3. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Robot modes are most important for me IMO, they can take liberties with the alt mode & transformation if they want.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as they look good, I don't care about cartoon accuracy or the transformation. Just give me a toy that looks like the character they represent

5. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned, Hasbro could redeco Movie Longarm in green and orange and make a TFU Hoist. I really like that mold.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    its gotta look G1 accurate in both modes.. im not picky about transformation..

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I could settle for that as Movie Hoist, but its about danged time we got a new mold for Trailbreaker...and have a Hoist follow it.

For me, robot mode needs to look familiar, and the two figures need to have different heads.

8. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

Interesting...

So everyone's in agreement that a proportionate robot mode is the first concern, and transformation scheme/alt mode are a distant second? Fantastic.

Congratulations! You all just admitted that Silverbolt is the perfect Universe fig. Kinda seems to contradict a lot of the talk about him so far, eh?

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Proportionate bot-mode is most important, imo (with alt-mode in second, and transformation in third). For Trailbreaker, they could repaint Hound for all I care. Though a new mold would help us get a new Hoist easier. Not sure about Hoist, but Trailbreaker will most likely have to go under a different name, as Hasbro hasn't been able to get the trademark for him back yet. In the end, as long as they look good, I'll be happy.

No offense, but, how does that logic make any sense? If we were talking about Universe, or even just all TF's, in general, it would, but we're specifically talking about Trailbreaker and Hoist.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

They don't need completely accurate transformation schemes. As long as the robot looks like Hoist or Trailbreaker and the alt-mode is a decent update to the G1 model, I'm good.

But how does "bot-mode first, accurate transformation distant second" make Silverbolt the perfect toy? That doesn't in the least bit contradict anything said about the figure. It supports it entirely, actually.

Had everyone up until now said accurate transformation was key, then you'd have a point (maybe).

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Silverbolt's bot mode is actually pretty cool. The problem with him is that he's a Bot with his full alt mode attached to his back. Seriously, all it does it fold once. His robot mode is undercarriage junk! :lol 

I too think bot mode should be the most accurate one, then alt mode. Universe Ironhide is a great example..he looks awesome in bot mode, but he's not a van in alt mode. He's a station wagon, which..to be honest, is kind of in the same vain as the van. So that's totally cool (what's less cool is the jigsaw windows, but ah well :lol ).

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They'd need cartoon-likeness heads and basic arrangement of alt-mode parts, on a modern-looking super duty truck frame. Maybe using a flatbed trailer for Hoist as seen on new tow trucks and an SUV back end topper for the Trailbreaker deco. And make them Voyagers, that size class has only one new mold and one remold.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I forget who did it, but someone here did hoist and trailbreaker as repaints/remolds from the cybertron red alert figure. I picked one up to paint black to be my trailbreaker. the headsculpt and nozzle hand work for me.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This sums up my opinion, though I'd be happy with them as Deluxes. They'd go well next to Ironhide.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of updated robot and vehicle modes. As long as the robot head, distictive features and color schemes are close and the vehicle mode suits the character I'll love it. I'd also love them to be released as Voyagers.

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

He's an SUV. He has the front end of an Escalade.

17. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Give both of them unique new molds. Make Trailbreaker a pickup truck and repaint him into Gears and Kup (with new heads where appropriate). Make Hoist a tow truck and repaint him into Grapple or Huffer.

I wouldn't expect to see either one in the Universe line until after the Movie2 toy line is done.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ummm...how does his alt-mode look ANYTHING like a station wagon?

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can see a resemblance between Ironhide and a Subaru Forester. But the Forester is still classified as an SUV. The closest wagon would be an Outback, and it's too low in height to be Ironhide.

20. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Going to have to go with a Robot mode on this one i really like my hoist but i wwant a great mode for Trailbreaker