Customs: Poll:Non-transformable Highly Detailed 6" Optimus Prime, Buy or Not?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yongkykun, Jul 3, 2009.

?

Will you buy it?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2009.
  1. Oh yeah!!!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No thanks, it can't transform

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Don't know, how much is it?

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Poll:Non-transformable Highly Detailed 12" Optimus Prime, Buy or Not?

Title says it all. I have a close friend who owns a plastic company who is willing to produce a highly detailed Optimus Prime, but probably unpainted. Materials are still in discussion, but chances are we're going to use mixed material ranging from soft to hard plastic. I will try my best to make it as articulated as possible, but no transformation is possible due to its movie-accurateness. Expect light up features for chest, eyes, and hand sockets for the sword (yes, to attach the sword you're going to need to detach the hands).

But we won't do any test or whatever until my friend knows that there will be some profit to be made by doing this. And if it's not that marketable, then I will try and make one at my own expense and try and sell it to Hasbro / Takara.

Thanks.

2. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Can't do that cause you don't own the copyrights.
    I wish you could, it'd be awesome. Maybe some generic TF-Style drones would be possible, i'd buy that if the price isn't too high.

3. yongkykun

Dang, got too excited that I forgot about legal issues. Thanks for reminding me.

4. Rhinox555

Maybe there'd be interest in untrademarked drones or something.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should make a highly detailed set of guns for prime, they are small and simple, I know I'd buy a set real quik. BUUUUUUUUUT, if you're going to make a super highly detailed prime depending on price, I might bite. Maybe.

6. Rhinox555

ooh, random guns would pwn.

7. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    +1. Make movie accurate guns that light up, and are cheaper than what I think the new Gears of War set will be. = tons of moolah :) 

8. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    6" sounds a tad to small to have it how you expect. I would say 8". How is this planned to be made? if your friend has a plastic company that's awesome but are you going to free sculpt the details and all the stuff or are you going to do it all digitally? Not putting the idea down or anything, just genuinely curious.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't, since you don't own rights to make such a figure.

However, there IS an incredible demand for generic guns that almost any TF from any era of the TF series (with 5 mm fistholes) could use. You'd be better off with the latter.

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No reason why he cannot do a limited run of figures. People do unlicensed statues all the time with no problems. If anything he can turn out as many as he can until he gets a cease and desist(these can take a while to get and no action is taken until after the second or third letter) and even then you can make a few more as prototypes and personal copies(have friends that make statues and this is what they tell me so I see no difference in a poseable figure).

11. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would buy them if they were bigger, like 12" or so

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm voting for a domestic upgrade-producer!

Guns, and other accessories to go with existing figures.

Perhaps if really wants to go big, POPULAR non-toy media-characters (Alligator-Guards, Junkion-soldiers from G1, Light Post guy from Energon, Dispensor/Dew-Bot from Movie-verse etc.)

D/L

13. yongkykun

I was really sleepy when I started this forum. I meant to have it in 1:6 human scale, which means almost about 12" or 30cm to be exact. Yes, it will be done by using rapid prototyping. So all the modeling and sculpting will be done in 3D. Got tons of reference. The modeling part will take the longest time. To make matters worst, my friend doesn't have any experience in molding / casting action figures. So that's more time needed for the learning process. <sigh> I guess I'm gonna have to start doing the modeling, like.. now!

Interesting. I'll take that under consideration.

I meant to make it that big. Not 6". Sorry for the typo.

I think I'll start with the movie gun just to see how detailed the copies are compared to the original. As well as trying to figure out the production planning/management. Thanks y'all.

14. mampy

News Credits:
    12 inches huh? A lot of it will really depend on how good the finished product is.

If it looks anything like the one this guy did, then you have yourself a winner, and tons of $$$.

Oh, and yeah, possibly a lawsuit or something if you plan to mass produce and sell it. :) 

Attached Files:

15. yongkykun

will not mass produce it of course. Just limited (hopefully Hasbro isn't watching this thread). I plan on doing something that is more accurate than Yasuhiro Yamaguchi's work, and of course fully articulated. My concern is how to make his arm raise all the way up what with his shoulder kibble being in the way and all. Honestly, my friend, when I showed him a picture of Optimus (apparently, dude never watched the movie LOL), he said that it's best to make him as a kit, which means no articulation whatsoever. But I'll try and design all I can so that I can convince him that the articulation is possible, even though the small parts will force him to create a massive amount of molds (which also means, I'll be draining my checkbook just for this guy :(  ).

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well.. If you did decide to go with a kit type product. You could make it gundam-esque, with ball-socket ty joints seen on tf's over the pvx type caps that are used in the gundams. You could still use the snap together parts for the panels and what not though. This idea may go over very well if you were yo use the height and dimensions of the new leader class figure as this would eventually mean that the customisers of the tf community would probably be buying the kit in absurd abundance... I know I'd be buying a couple if this were the way you went.

17. yongkykun

I'll put that under advisement.

BTW, I'm trying to lure Hasbro into producing 12" movie accurate RotF Transformers figure. At first, I thought I might ask about the licensing matters, but it dawned on me that if I asked that, then they refused, but they found out later on that I'm producing said products, it'd be so much easier for them to track me down and sue my ass. So I'm drafting a letter for them asking them to produce and this is what I wrote so far. Please advise.. thanks

"Hi, my name is Y*****. I've read your New Product Ideas summary in the Instant Answers section. But what I am trying to do is asking for sponsorship from Hasbro to create a toy line from your Transformers movie franchise.

My idea is to create highly detailed Transformers movie figures in limited quantity of a hundred which are marketed for adult collectors. I've attached a picture of a statue created by a Japanese modeler. This piece is not for sale and it was never meant to be marketed. But if I supply you with a market research on this piece's marketability, and the result is more than satisfactory, will Hasbro produce it?

My observation so far has shown that Hasbro has never made a collector's edition, which are of museum quality, figures which are intended for the adult collectors. I can name two companies such as Sideshow Collectibles and Weta Workshop who are leading this front. Since there aren't many out there as of yet, why not join in the ranks?

This is one of the many concerns circulating the movie collectible communities on the internet. They need more quality figures. Hasbro has done remarkable job with the Revenge of the Fallen's Leader Class Optimus Prime. But for me as a movie collectible collector and hundreds of others like me out there, we need more movie accurate figures.

Please consider this request. And thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

Y***** K******
    "

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you sending this to hasbro so that you don't have to have your friend mold them for you? If you are, that's not a bad idea, however, if you do send this in, and the idea were denied, and you then went through with you initial idea on your own, I'd still see a lawsuite at hand. SO, with that said, I wouldn't even send out the letter. Unless ofcourse you're worried about draining your account of all monies ofcourse.

Or, are you basically saying, "hey, can I have your permission to make this?"

19. mampy

News Credits:
    I doubt that Hasbro will decide to grant your request on the spur of the moment with all the planning and budgeting that goes into their decisions. I agree with Omegaprime. If you really wanna push through with your idea it will definitely be best to not send them a letter.

20. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    'Light Post guy' is from Cybertron, and his name is Signal Lancer (and it would be awesome to get a toy of him).

As for the accessories idea, I could see that working out better. While the Prime model would be cool, I can't see it selling too well, unless it is incredibly detailed (which would probably cost a lot of $ to design and produce). Accessories, on the other hand, wouldn't require as much detailing and would probably be in higher demand.

That, and I would love to see someone make a Star Saber accessory that can fit in Universe Hot Shot's hands.