(POLL) Did you enjoy DOTM and do you think it's a good film?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BluRayHiDef, Oct 10, 2011.

?

What do you think of Dark of the Moon?

1. I like it and think it's a good film

146 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I like it, but I must admit that it isn't a good film

46 vote(s)
    21.0%
  3. I do not like it and think it's a terrible film

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. I do not like it, though I think it's a good film

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

I know there have already been discussions about Dark of the Moon's quality as a film. However, I'd simply like to have that discussion again and I'd like to poll the opinions in regard to this matter so I can get an idea of how badly it's hated or how strongly it's liked.

EDIT:

Things that I liked about the film:
    • Technically impressive and immersive visuals. The appearance and animation of the bots is nothing short of amazing and awesome to behold.
    • Incredible action sequences that are as intense as they are epic.
    • Wonderful voice acting courtesy of Peter Cullen, Leonard Nimoy, and Hugo Weaving.
    • Funny characters such as Brains and Wheelie, especially Brains.
    • Very clever plot; the idea of the Decepticons using Humans to manipulate NASA's budget and end the space program is simply genius.
    • More screen-time for the robots. I've seen this film over 10 times and I can definitely vouch for the fact that the bots are practically in every other scene in the first act, and in practically every scene in the second act.
    • Emotionally driven characterization of Optimus. He really seems like a hero who has been pushed past his limits in this film. Everything from the tone of his voice and the lack of mercy he (rightfully) has for the Decepticons really help to convey that he feels betrayed and is sickened/ tired of the war.
    • The ethical dilemma of sacrificing the few (the minority Autobots) for the many in order to preserve the Cybertronian race.
    • Powerful music score courtesy of Steve Jablonsky which accentuates the emotion and tone of the film's scenes.

The film's shortcomings:
    • Quick and/ or easy deaths of major Decepticons such as Megatron and Starscream.
    • No interaction between Sam and Megatron.
    • Jerry Wang in the bathroom stall with Sam.

2. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved it! Best movie experience I've ever had in the theater (having the large group of friends go helped as well)

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked it.

I could definitely see its flaws after re-watching it, but it's just a fun popcorn action sci-fi movie.

4. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Yes I did but there a few things that tick me off about it.

Mirage's few lines
    Wheeljack's few lines and cruel death
    Ironhide dying without a fight
    Megatron dying without a fight
    Sam's job hunt was too dragged-out IMO
    Soundwave and Bumblebee's fight was too short

And, most importantly, we were practically promised that Shockwave would be the main villain. Only to be blinded by a fucking human like always (seriously Bay, average humans are not Jesus freaking Christ and, more importantly, said human was a nobody) and taken out by a cheap shot from Prime.

I may have praised the movie-verse in the past but after seeing DOTM two times now since I got the DVD, I'm very thankful he's done. Everything's always gotta be Bay's way.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Cast my vote. It ain't good, and I didn't like it.

This thread will end well.

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it, yeah. As a film it's decent and fairly entertaining. Not the best movie ever but definitely not the worst.

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's decent if you don't dwell on the gaping plot holes and lame-o deaths (Starscream, Megatron, etc. etc.). It's definitely more enjoyable than ROTF. I think the urban setting, putting humans in real danger (Cons ain't effin around), and the epic musical score helped this film a lot.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    It's good, and I like it.

I like plenty of movies that I'll readily admit are bad but I sincerely think DOTM is a well made summer blockbuster.

ALL MY OPINION:
    None of the acting, writing, or direction is egregiously bad (I'd say "passable" at worst) and it stands out on every level from a technical standpoint. It also succeeds at being immensely entertaining, which I consider the goal of a Hollywood action flick.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    It was much better than ROTF and the first film, but it still had some flaws. But overall definetly the strongest of the films in my opinion.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Story-wise and character-wise it's rather weak. It has potential; the actors obviously enjoyed their work, the plot twists were neat (and well hidden), and Megatron's plot was cool, but lack of bot time, abrupt ending, and major Decepticons meeting their ends more because Bay didn't want to do another movie than any plot reasons really tarnished the overall experience.
    While I understand he was a red herring, Shockwave could've done more, like everything the Driller accomplished. Grab the ship part and "lose" it in a fight with Optimus, and shoot down an already toppling building; yep, totally do-able for Shocky.
    It also was only barely consistent with the previous movies, to the point where I dare say it makes more sense without acknowledging RotF, if not for a few obvious details.
    I think the focus on humans adds far too many characters. We've got a bunch of bots, good and bad, plus our heroic humans, plus some bad ones, PLUS secondary human characters on top of all that.

Visual-wise, well, DotM is just tops. Especially with the 3D, arguably the best use of the gimmick yet.

So where does that leave me? Well, I enjoyed it, and I guess I'd call it "good," though I call nearly every movie I see "good." I'd probably call them 'sorta good movies you watch once, forget about, and watch again years later,' if not for surrounding myself with the toys. I could probably apply a lot of my own complaints to other movies I thoroughly enjoy, too.
    Villain deaths tend to cheese me off regardless of how they're done, and DotM has 7 major villain deaths. It certainly doesn't help they were incredibly laundry list.

...that post was FAR larger than I anticipated. So, enjoyed? Yes. Good? ...

11. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Things that I liked about the film:
    • Technically impressive and immersive visuals. The appearance and animation of the bots is nothing short of amazing and awesome to behold.
    • Incredible action sequences that are as intense as they are epic.
    • Wonderful voice acting courtesy of Peter Cullen, Leonard Nimoy, and Hugo Weaving.
    • Funny characters such as Brains and Wheelie, especially Brains.
    • Very clever plot; the idea of the Decepticons using Humans to manipulate NASA's budget and end the space program is simply genius.
    • More screen-time for the robots. I've seen this film over 10 times and I can definitely vouch for the fact that the bots are practically in every other scene in the first act, and in practically every scene in the second act.
    • Emotionally driven characterization of Optimus. He really seems like a hero who has been pushed past his limits in this film. Everything from the tone of his voice and the lack of mercy he (rightfully) has for the Decepticons really help to convey that he feels betrayed and is sickened/ tired of the war.
    • The ethical dilemma of sacrificing the few (the minority Autobots) for the many in order to preserve the Cybertronian race.
    • Powerful music score courtesy of Steve Jablonsky which accentuates the emotion and tone of the film's scenes.

The film's shortcomings:
    • Quick and/ or easy deaths of major Decepticons such as Megatron and Starscream.
    • No interaction between Sam and Megatron.
    • Jerry Wang in the bathroom stall with Sam.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I like it and voted that it was good. I think it has many flaws but is still a good film. IMO it just needs to be less dumbed down and have more character development.

13. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Yeah.

14. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    I enjoyed all the films, but I liked this one the best, if only for the amazingly ballsy characterization of Prime from wise war hero, to vengeful bringer of death.

15. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Seeing it multiple times in the theater was great fun, especially watching the reactions from people to certain scenes, but I really don't think it is all that great of a film. The pacing is weird, the humor/acting is forced or over the top (Sam acts a bit too crazy for my tastes), the characters don't act true to form (wtf happened to Megatron?!? seriously...).

I think if they had taken one more year to tighten down the script and work out the plot a little bit more then it would have turned out much better. To me, the first film is far and away the best of the trilogy. That one is a good film in it's own rights, not just a good sci-fi or comic book movie, but a damn good movie. DOTM, not terrible, but not great or even all that good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  16. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I absolutely Loved Dark of the moon!!! It's A Great Film!
    Best Movie Of the Year
    and I saw a lot of movies this Year and
    DOTM Was the best in My own Opinion :D 

17. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    I liked it. I can definately see why others wouldn't, but I thought it was great fun

18. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

It was enjoyable, but I agree with some others that they focused on sam a bit much again. Well it was funny with the job hunting and the whole ordeal with his car, but again I would like more time with the transformers. Also some of the fights were awesome, although it was a bit sad that some characters didn't really get fleshed out much. Sorta like barricade only showing up in the head explosion scene only to get killed by nest soldiers. What really irked me was the last scene with megs. I mean epic fight in tf1, soso in rotf, and wtf in dotm.

19. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I don't think it was a good film - I think it had its good moments, which is how I feel about ROTF. The only film I think was genuinely good was the first.

I think DOTM (like ROTF) fails where character and storytelling are concerned, especially with the Transformers themselves, and to a lesser extent, some of the more main human characters that aren't Sam.

DOTM suffers from the same humor and filler that ROTF had - Wang and the bathroom stall stuff was completely unnecessary. The parents scenes should have been cut. It's basically the college stuff and Leo all wrapped up in different packaging but with extremely similar content.

Sam going into the city to save Carly would have been more satisfying if it had been Mikaela. Two movies building up that couple makes it hard to buy into the lame breakup excuse or how much he cares for the new girl.

The movie had too many major villain characters - Shockwave suffers because of this. Megatron and Sentinel were major players, so Shockwave takes a backseat and comes across as less of a threat than he should have. He should have been saved for another film and been used as the Big Bad.

Honestly, the Sam/Bee stuff (which was lacking in ROTF), the highway chase/Dread fight scene when we actually get to see Autobots not named Optimus or Bumblebee fight, the Autobot exile sequence and first moments on their return, and my favorite character getting his first badass scene since the first movie (of course, only to die horribly and not be mentioned again or mourned at all) are the only things I truly liked about it.

Without those things, I couldn't see myself watching much of it at all. I actually think ROTF might be have more of a rewatch factor to it.

20. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

I think that there should have been more action scenes across the movie with one large climatic battle at the end and Sam's job-hunting went on for too long but overall was a good movie.