Poll: 2010 Unicron vs 2010 Predaking w/upgrades?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dr. Grimlockisking, Jan 31, 2011.

?

What Should I Get?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2011.
  1. 2010 Unicron from Takara

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. 2010 Predaking Reissue (No Upgrades)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. 2010 Predaking Reissue (With Upgrades)

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am debating on which figure to get next. I'm only interested in G1 / CHUG figures, and am getting basically updated transformers from G1, and some G1 reissues (mainly combiners that haven't been redone, so Predaking / Seacons / etc).

My question is this, I'm interested in both figures, but am on the fence as to which one I should get next, keeping in mind it will be about 6 months before I can get the other. Should I go for Predaking with some CrazyDevy upgrades (the Giant Sword and head are all I'm interested in) or the 2010 Unicron?

2. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

Since supply of the 2010 Unicron is about to dry up, I would get that one first. In fact, I don't know of a U.S. retailer that still has any in stock. I got mine from Tfsource about a week and a half ago but I noticed that they are now sold out. If you have found someone that offers it at a decent price ($150) I would jump quickly before prices on the secondary market rise.

Anyway, Unicron is an awesome figure. Much nicer than the Armada version.

Edit: Toyarena seems to have Unicron in stock for $150. I think that Ebay prices have already started to rise slightly.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Just because both are amazing.... I suggest getting
    2010 Unicron from Takara
    Just because I consider him the best figure of 2010.... For at last getting Unicron right.

2010 Predaking Reissue (With Upgrades)
    Because don't you want the mighty Predaking that will be able to make poses soon enough.... ;) 

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    6 months? I hope you can make this happen sooner because Unicron probably won't last another 6 months before hitting the stupid aftermarket prices:eek: 

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    2010 Unicron hands down.

6. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unicron, hands down. Best thing ever release. Don't bother with the CrazyDevy upgrade parts for Predaking. I've only heard bad things about the upgrades.

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of those two options, Unicron. I chose Primus over Unicron, but I'm probably in the minority.

8. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Unicron will inevitably skyrocket in price so the choice is obvious. I think there were enough people who bought the original rereissue of Predaking to have passed on the new version, so it may be around for awhile at cost.

9. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, if you want, I have an Armada Unicron repaint to look like G1. I am asking $75 for it. If you want, I can send you pics of it.

BTW, the Predaking with all upgrades is closer to $300, rather then the Unicron which is $150.

10. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both, and love them both, but I too believe you should get Unicron first. It's a great figure in its own right (even though mine has the planet jaw teeth problem), and I made it even better (perfect!) by changing the red LED's to (high intensity) green LED's.
    Predaking is also a great figure, even without the CD upgrades: I do have the CD14 sword winging its way to me, somewhere in the mail... But Predaking will probably be available for a little while longer.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Unicron first.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Between those two it's definitely Unicron. Predaking is cool and all (minus those stupid overpriced add-ons) but I'll take a toy with modern engineering over a reissue any day.

13. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like Unicron is the runaway winner then! I was leaning that way to begin with, but wondered what everybody else thought. Side question: What do people think of those CrazyDevy upgrades in general? I seem to get conflicting info, some love them, some hate them, but they definitely seem polarizing

14. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    unicron hands down.

i do not upgrade my g1 figures as i enjoy them the way they are. also the CD parts, imo, are overpriced even if you just want the head and sword.

plus CD is all over the place and can not finish a combiner before starting another. sure they had a hiccup with the wings but i still think for the price, quality and overall finished product of theirs just doesnt do it for me.

like others said, CD parts will get stupid high later like the devastator parts have, but they are just parts unlike to pay higher amounts for Unicron later would just suck.

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I think the CrazyDevy parts are great on devastator. Not sure on Predaking, even though I have read a lot of mixed things about them.

I find that the newer stuff they released is a lot crappier then their older things. Also, their prices have gotten a little high for what you get.

Having said that, I do own a full set of Crazy Devy Devastator parts and the Frenzy and Rumble piston arm set.

16. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Tough call...

They both look great with the new paint applications.

2010 Unicron captures a much more cartoon accurate representation and was released earlier than 2010 Predaking making the stock on hand less than that of 2010 Predaking.

Then again, 2010 Predaking looks amazing in my honest opinion and it's a combiner none-the-less so you're actually buying 5 figures versus 1 Unicron.

Time will tell on the secondary market values on both figures, but if you're waiting for 6 months to buy the other figure... I would definitely go for 2010 Unicron because it has been out longer and chances are it will sell out faster than 2010 Predaking which was only released last month or so.

It's really up to you... I like both, but 2010 Predaking is my personal favorite out of the 2 because it's Predaking, it's a combiner and if the 2 were released together... I think Predaking would sell out first.

Anyways, here's a pic of my 2004 Predaking with all the CrazyDevy Upgrades for you to check out...

[​IMG]

I haven't opened my 2010 Predaking yet, but I plan to do so very soon and outfit it with the CD Upgrades because the new paint applications just make it look even more BAD-ASS with all the gold versus the yellow on the 2004 release.

Once again, you my friend have a tough call.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    IMo The crazy Devy Upgrades aren't worth it, The wings are just too damn big and actually damage the figure if you don't use the parts they provide to do a wing swap.

The foot parts are a fail not new feet but actually are bits you add on to the existing feet.

and all in all over priced. The swords look good but also a bit over priced.

18. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:

WOW. That looks great! I did order Unicron, namely because all of the online retailers were sold out except for Toyarena (THANK YOU to the poster who mentioned them, got it cheaper than the auction site), and I'll probably try and swing a Predaking as soon as possible. Going to depend on the tax situation. If I get more than I'm estimating, I know what i'm getting, that's for sure :) 

19. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    ^ Thanks! Awesome choice... Unicron would be a better fit with your CHUG collection and every CHUG collection needs a Unicron! :thumb 

20. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    UNICRON!!! "The point is you're a fool"