Political Influence On 1986 Transformers Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by wingz240, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wingz240

wingz240 New Member

I was wondering if there were any political influences (ei: Cold War Era) involved in the creation of the 1986 movie? As in, does the movie plot have any real world parallels, etc

Thanks all!

2. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The cartoon, along with similar action adventures like GI Joe, Gobots, He-Man, etc., all pretty much shared an us-vs-them theme. If it's a Cold War influence, I suppose the idea of two competing powers taking their war to foreign territory could fit what you're looking for, although for Transformers the Autobots and Decepticons directly engaged each other in combat, instead of doing it through proxy armies like Vietnam or Afghanistan.

Looking at it that way, I'd say Transformers borrows from Europe's colonial expansion into the New World, when France, England, Spain and all those powers were duking it out on foreign soil in the name of God and King. The Decepticons just never bothered to invest in a propaganda program to win the hearts and minds of the locals.

For the movie...Unicron would definitely be a doomsday scenario, and I wouldn't discount the character as not being influenced by the mood of that era, when the world could reasonably have been plunged into nuclear annihilation. That being said, Unicron plays out more like a force of nature rather than an ultimate weapon hatched by anybody - a natural catastrophe doesn't care if there is a war going on before it hits.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I don't think so.

While the first 2 years of G1 were held in "present day", the movie was held in the "future" therefore alleviating any obligation of real world issues. There was plenty of it though prior to the movie, thinking mostly of Carbombya ran by Abdul Fakkadi mirroring/parodying the Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi at the time.

I just didn't get the feel of politics from the movie, though I guess you can draw parallels in anything if you try hard enough.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If anything, it draws more heavily from classical storytelling techniques, such as the heroic cycle, the use of prophecy/the chosen one, etc.

For the original series (and I suppose to a much lesser extent in the movie), there are numerous parallels between the growing environmentalism movement and the oil/resource crisis and Transformers, however.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Well obviously there was a hidden environmental and Gun control agenda.

Firstly the big, polluting diesel truck gets killed and replaces by a futuristic, bio diesel Winnebago. Obviously a ploy by green Peace to show kids that polluting will eventually kill you.

And secondly the death of Megatron was an obvious ploy by the left wing liberals to literally take guns out of children’s hands, and replace them with bricks…

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    TFW2005 Rules:

3. No Discussion On Politics, Religion or Abortion

This includes signatures, user titles and avatars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.