Pokemon Thread 2

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TheDemonDzko, Mar 17, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Honestly, I miss when I was younger and the Japanese franchise Pocket Monsters (ポケットモンスター) was brought over to the United States. When the ideas for these 150 little monsters where fresh, and it had the 4Kids company slab the name on the franchise that would brand it forever. Pokemon.

When I was younger, I was late to the Pokemon party, and didn't really get into it, until after it's first or second year of syndication/popularity when my Step-Father, William gave me the best thing in the world: Pokemon Yellow version. Let me tell you, I played the crap out of that game, and still do today. It is possibly the best game I have ever played, and holds the most nostalgia, and value to me then anything I own. Just because, it was the best thing... ever.

As the years rolled by, Pokemon grew successful enough to strike a sequel within the franchise and produce another set of Pokemon that introduced the concept of never ending gimmickry... This was the dawn of the end. That would set forth to what Pokemon was secretly about. Selling more Nintendo Products, and myself being included into this schema of buying Nintendo products for the sake of catching my small creatures, that I could then battle with my friends with via a communications array that Nintendo Provided. Which isn't really a bad thing, because with that gimmick (Starting off with the link cable.) It evolved the systems themselves, and although i'm sure the systems would have reached the state that they are at now either way, it showed a innovation in what a system could do, especially in terms of connectivity and communications, which evolved into now the 3DS being Netflix, and internet compatable.

However, now it brings me to my initial point. I was watching a trailer for some "Abridged Pokemon Movie" which, if you know the internet's term for abridged, it is a silly voice over to clips from a show. So, I am watching this clip... and I am not going to lie, it had been so long since I had watched the first Pokemon movie, that tears came to my eyes, because of how nostalgic it is seeing a high-budget Pokemon movie, how awesome it used to be, and just overall fantastic Pokemon was. Honestly, it almost makes me sick to my stomach to see these tacky off-shoots of the franchise in terms of Pokemon Trozei, Mystery Dungeon, and Nobanaga's Ambition. Just because, it is just using the Pokemon name to sell more shit, common buissness practice but, Pokemon is growing less to be about a game series that a couple of guys put together, and more about it's marketing aspect, when in a year or so we are going to have Pokemon Black and White 2. And the worst part is, I probably am going to buy it just because of the name. But it makes me sad to think that, Pokemon is almost this dying race horse, that once upon a time ago used to run stead-fast and win all the races, and is now this old mare that is used to plow large fields with heavy machinary on it's back, and a artificial heart to keep it alive. So, corprate, cold, and barely alive.

I miss the days when I could call myself an avid fan of the Pokemon franchise, and be proud of my fandom. Now, we are breaking the 700 barrier of little pixels floating around, we have a growing number of Pokemon branded Off-shoots, and to top it off. The original Pokemon set, asides from Pikachu... The kids wont know or care about, because of each new set Gamefreak force feeds us every couple years.

Personally, I wish that if they don't go back to the old ways of this once fantastic franchise. They would just put this dying horse down.

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    New Pokemon su--Oh wait this is about the games?

Never played the newer ones. I would like to see them release a game on the console. That would be interesting....

3. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Pokemon: Stadium, Stadium 2, Colluseum, and XD, gales of Darkness called. They wanted to let you know that they are system games, however the last two wanted to let you know that they are the only ones formated like the adventure games.