Pokemon Gold Battery Backed Saves Epic Failure!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scrapper6, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Uh, probably a wordy title. So I bought a used copy of Gold today, the game works fine and all it just won't keep a save file. I mean the first time I saved it worked, but then after I saved a second time shut it off and transfered the cart to my GBA with the fresh new batteries to play it the save was gone.

UGH. So now I need to replace the internal battery. And you know what's worse it really makes me scared for my Silver and Yellow carts. The Red I don't care so much about since I was only using it to speed train some of the pokemon from Yellow so they'd level up faster, but damn. How do I back up all of my saves so that if the batteries die I can at least still keep the info, I worked hard for my Pokemon training and I don't want to have to start all over again, even if I do enjoy the games enough not to let it get me down too badly.

Basically what do I need to backup the game data currently in the carts to my computer and then back up that data on an external memroy stick or something so if anything ever went south as it were I would still have my hard earned work? Losing game data is a fact of life, but I don't have to lose it completely right?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Amazon.com: Mega Memory Card ~ for use with Game Boy Color & Game Boy Pocket: Video Games

there you go.

you can't back it up to a computer with this, but you can move your saves to it.

there are things that will backup the save (and even the entire game) to computers or removable storage, but they're expensive.

this thing is about five dollars shipped.

it uses batteries so it won't last forever, but you can definately use it to move a save from one copy of a game to another, or store a save temporarily while you replace the battery.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Urgh I hated when this happened to me. Luckily my red's still going strong but my Gold and Crystal both died (Gold has been replaced since and works fine now)

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    for GB applications:
    [​IMG]

These are not easy to find or use anymore though.
    1. This was purchased back in 1998. It featured an external parallel port, which died with the advent of USB.
    2. Support is long gone. These won't work without a system running Windows98 since XP is unsupported.

There are other ways to play Pokemon Gold outside of a GB. If you were going to start over, you can play GB games on a GBA, NDS, PSP, PC, etc. Not quite smiled upon, but there are other methods.

5. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    That sucks dude. Yeah some of the older GBC game's save feature gets wiped out after a period of time. I'd trade it back in and say it was defective.

6. Scrapper6

Though the save feature currently does not work the game itself works fine. If they were to check it out to verify they might wind up selling it again to someone else upon discovering lack of defect. To this end I see no reason to waste time going back and returning the game when I really want it, the only thing I have to do is replace the internal battery and it'll work fine for the next several years or so. I want to fill up my Johto Pokedex just as I want to complete my old Kanto pokedexes. I guess I'll just have to learn to live with the fact that nothing is made to last forever, however there are alternatives to writing something off when you're passionate enough about it.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Shit, this makes me fear for my Crystal version. Any way to tell if the battery is about to die?
    DN

8. Scrapper6

If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't be so paranoid about playing any further in my Silver and Yellow versions. It's not like the GBA titles where apparently according to a Youtube video if the battery dies a message pops up at the title screen informing you that the battery is out of juice you can still play the game but in game events won't work. (And the save feature too most likely.) But I'm not too concerned for the GBA titles they aren't as old as the others in my collection and I could probably finish them all off and transfer my high level pokemom to Diamond before their batteries suffer the same fate. (If they will suffer the same fate... I can't see why the same problem wouldn't have been realized after numerous first gen versions went caput so that Nintendo would have fixed it up better with the save feature in the GBA titles.)

Wow, that's long winded, heh.

Also is it a time sensitive thing or a used the save feature too often kind of deal? I mean I think I bought Pokemon Yellow a year after it's initial release possibly even two years brand new. And I've gone years without playing them or saving too much, is it the number of saves that you make that cause the battery to flop? If you take a break and don't play it for a couple years does it mean the battery isn't using up any power just sitting there so it won't die as often as the others? I mean how do you tell? (Barring the practical solution of purchasing a voltage detecting device and using it to see how much juice the battery has, which strikes me as a tad extreme.)

If my Battery change for Gold works without a problem I'm going to get that Mega Memory Card thing back up my files to it swap out all the old batteries with brand new models from this year that won't die until like 2015 and then stop being so paranoid about it I mean it is just a game, but still I can't stop being paranoid what the hell is my problem? Ugh, anyway it's a plan and I'm sticking to it now all I need is a brand new Mega Memory Card and I think I soldering iron or something. I'm sure with the help of my father I can solve this dilemma for the forseeabe future so that I can finish off my pokedexes. (Except for having Celebi, Mew I can take advantage of the Mew Glitch in the Blue cartridge I plan on picking up to play over again and also because I want every vesion of the game for completness's sake. I'm a crazy completist. Well not crazy, but obsessive.)

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Yeah imagine my surprise one day when I tried to load up my old Silver game and found the only option being "New Game".

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's funny - the batteries for NES games tend to hold up after all these years, but GB/GBC batteries, not so much.

One possibility I haven't seen in the thread - one can transfer Pokémon to one of the compatible console games, like Pokémon Stadium. They might end up trapped there, though, if their original game disappears. I don't know.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amazing how long these things can last - my old Mega CD still has saves going back to 1993, even though it went 5 years without being powered up at one point!

12. pr1906

pr1906 New Member

I don't know anything about backing up game data, but one of the best things you can do if you have any of the gbc pokemon games is to buy pokemon stadium 2 for the n64. It allows you to store all pokemon and items (except for hms and the like) and it's just a really useful tool for transferring, storing etc. Any item or pokemon can be safely stored there and transferred to other versions, although you can't mix items around between the two generations. I guess it would be nice to be able to have a complete backup, but I think I'm content with using stadium 2.

13. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I hate to bring back a dead thread, but...

I recently saw Pokemon Gold and Silver at my local video game store. I was tempted to get them, but I knew about the memory problem, so I couldn't buy it. Now, I plan on getting these, and I know how to fix the problem, but I'm worried that the game will get screwed up if I tamper with the innards of the game cartridge. That, and I don't know how to use a soldering iron. Can anyone post a link showing the steps of how to fix it? I'm more of a visual learner.

14. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I don't have any pics (give me a while and I may be able to dig up the guide I used though), but you can use tape to keep the battery down rather than a solder. I did and my gold has worked fine for the last year.

EDIT: Didnt take long - guide