Point of going to BotCon? *recent TF returnee*

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by VAwitch, Apr 25, 2007.

1. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    **Please don't flame - I am asking cuz I honestly don't know, and I'm the most hard-core TF (or any other SF) fan in my personal acquaintance.**

Ok, so while I've been a "fan" since G1, and always got the US comics, I foolishly sold my G1 comics & most of the toys (only had a few dozen, due to space & $$ constraints) a mere 6 mo before BW came out... ah well.

Now, I'm back into rebuilding my toy collection. Comics are doing nicely, ty. And I will soon acquire clothes.

That said, while the basic idea of going to BotCon appeals greatly, I'm wondering WTF I'm getting for over $300 just to get in the door?? I go to Dragon*Con in Atlanta GA every year, and aside from the hotel, spend just over $300 on everything, including getting my butt in the door! And the BotCon hotel is only a little cheaper.

I know I get "exclusive" toys (Seekers this year), but for a single mom who doesn't have loads of cash to blow on G1 acquisitions, or lots of repaints (or whatever else is out there these days), what is the point? I see a few VAs appear (cool), what else do you do at the Con? (Not into kitbuilding - is that aka kitbashing?)

As a comparison, I've gone to several weekend ST & SciFi cons, generally just 1 day, and had a blast - but that was $40. D*C is 4 days of multi-media programming - writing, Anime (probly dom by TF this year), Toys, AM SF TV (where I speak), XFile/Supernatural, Goth, Tolkein, SW, ST, Pern, etc....

Since I have to come up w/ $1000 for BotCon (plus fun money) if I don't room or get a roomie, then do it again 2 mo later :puke:  for D*C, I'd like to have an idea what I can expect for my money. Cuz right now, the only thing I'm :cry  about is missing the advance screen of the Movie.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The speaker panels and the dinner are the main non-dealer-room/exclusives parts. If you're Primus package, I believe you also get to skip panel room lines. Panels are usually voice actors, TF comicbook people, Hasbro presentations, and some fan ones that aren't just regurgitated internet information (Paul Hitchen's panels come to mind as an example).

Another big part of it is also the social interaction. Why pay for that part? Mostly in terms of having this big TF-centric event to entice lots of people from around the globe to be in one place at one time. :D 

If the exclusives/dealer room/panels/dinner don't seem like anything you'd want to bother with, would recommend doing a walk-in. Apparently walk-ins have a hellish time getting into panels and stuff, but if you just want to hang out with folks it -should- be alright.

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well you did hit one thing about botcon, the prescreening of the movie. There's also the Hasbro tour (but if you haven't signed up by now the odds are pretty slim on being able to go).

For me the biggest bang for the buck are the exclusive toys and going to the panels, especially Hasbro's. Lets face it everything else (the dealers room, hanging out with people from the boards, etc) can be done for little or no money. The awards dinner is fun, but only if you have people to hang out with. Other than that it's just meh.

If you're really just interested in the prescreening of the film, there is a lower priced package, that would allow you purchase an advanced screening ticket and get you access to all the other events at the convention.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Why I'm I going? To hang out with a few friends. To find some rare japanese bots I need and parts too. Plus this is going to be the biggest Botcon EVER. If you don't have the funds just pay the $10.00 charge to walk in saturday morning.

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm going to hang out with the boys and to see the movie early. Honestly, that's about it.

6. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok; what about the basic... Iacon(?) pkg vs the Primus pkg? Main diff there, seems to be the Seeker figs.

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

First the Iacon package is for non-attendees. So if you want to preregister for BotCon DON'T choose that. The package you're thinking of is Primus or Protoform, and the difference besides the Protoform having no exclusive entitlement. Is that Primus holders get a ticket to the annual Saturday awards presentation and dinner. While Protoform holders don't :) 

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guessing you mean Protoform vs Primus. ;) 

My advice: If you don't want the exclusives/dinner and can't get in as a Mini-con package attached to someone else, go for walk-in. Protoform is a waste despite its savings, IMO.

9. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm going cause
    A ) it's transformers
    B ) hang out with my freinds that I made here and on the other boards
    C) no work for 10 days
    D) hopefully find some things I have been looking for.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to catch up with some old and new friends.
    Anything else is a secondary concern to me.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree. Just do the walk-in.

12. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Thats probably your best bet, and as far as the early screening, I mean its only a week earlier, besides you save a few bucks just by waiting so that shouldnt be a make or break deal for the Con.

13. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

As has been said, the $300 admission is about the "package" of stuff you get: The toys, the extras, the dinner, as well as Friday dealer room admission. It's not cheap. but admittedly, MC caters to the "higher end" toy collector.

But they don't exclude everyone else. The walk-in price of $10 is probably a little more comparable to what you are looking at for Dragon*Con. You'll still get access to all the dealer room Saturday & Sunday, you should have no problems getting to any of the panels and VA tables. And if you are looking to rebuild a collection, there's no other place that will have this kind of selection.

One thing to think about: From all hype we're seeing, I fully expect the after market value of the toy set to be more than the price it takes to get it. I know 2 people last year who bought full sets of all the toys and just about doubled their money reselling these toys right after the show. So if you really don't care about the toys, you can pretty much recoup your admission costs....

14. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anybody willing to tack me on? LOL

So walk-ins are only for Sat/Sun? No thursday (movie)? hmmm... gotta think about that.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards at least getting the exclusive figs (or having someone get me a set), just for the re-build factor - I can always unload them down the line (not likely).

15. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The people is the biggest for me.

I have met alot of awesome people through here and at conventions, and Botcon is really the only time I get to see them. We always have the best time. I really dig the panels and the convention toys too.

The dealer room was a big deal for me the first two conventions I went to, not really as much anymore now.

It's honestly all about hanging out with everyone.

This year though there are three huge bonuses for me.
    1) I have family in Millbury, MA which is about a half hour away. So I will be arriving early to visit with them.
    2) The Hasbro tour
    3) The movie

If there ever was a year to go to Botcon, this would be the one, and this would probably be the one to go the whole 9 yards on too.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    For me:

1) First Botcon in eight years
    2) First solo road trip I've taken since college
    3) Exclusives
    4) Dealer room and all the geekgasm within
    5) Parts swapping
    6) Hasbro tour: aka "So this is where all my damn money goes"
    7) Why no, I've never been to Rhode Island
    8) Deefuzz and all the other peeps seem like great drinking buddies
    9) I want to hear Boardwise's crazy Scottish accent

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm really going to have to lay on a thick Scottish accent now.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Reasons I'm going:
    -Meet all the friends I've made through this hobby
    -See the movie early
    -Browse the dealer room and buy cool stuff
    -Drink lots
    -Have fun
    -Hear Boardwise's laid-on-thick Scottish accent ;) 

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

You should lay on a thick British accent :D 

20. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why I'm going:

- Exclusives, namely the seekers.
    - Early movie screening.
    - Dealer room, and all of the toys within.
    - Preview at the new stuff for the next year.
    - Meet people on the boards.
    - It's BotCon!
    - Dirge.
    - Thrust's new wings.
    - Did I mention Thundercracker?