Point-Counterpoint; Should I sell my PS3?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Vector Squidma, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    This is a question that has been bugging me for a while, and I would love to hear your guy's opinion on it. As the thread title states, I have been considering selling my PS3 for a while now. Below are the reasons for and against.

I SHOULD sell my PS3 because...

-There really aren't that many games on it that interest me.

There is only one PS3 exclusive game that I am looking forward to right now; God of War 3. And while the system does have quite a few exclusives coming out, none of them really interest me.

-I can get most games that interest me on the Xbox 360 instead.

I think the announcement of Final Fantasy XIII for 360 was what really made me begin to ponder selling the PS3. Most games these days are multi-platform, and despite all the hype about the raw power of the PS3, very few games seem to use it.

-I am a poor college student.

Currently my only two means of income are working at a grocery store during summer and winter breaks, and begging my parents for money. Selling the PS3 could bring in quite the nice bit of cash.

I SHOULDN'T sell my PS3 because...

-I don't have anything else that can play Blu-Ray movies.

Granted the vast majority of movies still come out on DVD, but it always helps to be able to switch to a new format early. Besides, most stand alone players are just as, or even MORE expensive than a PS3. On the other hand, I only have one Blu-Ray movie (Transformers Revenge of the Fallen).

-There might be an upcoming exclusive that it turns out I REALLY want.

Like I said before, there are currently no PS3 exclusive games other than God of War that I want. But if there is one announced that DOES catch my interest, or I learn more about a exclusive that causes me to gain interest I will end up regretting selling it.

So what do you guys think? Either way, I'm going to wait until after I play through God of War 3 before I think about selling it.

2. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    RROD is more prevalent than YLOD. PSN is free for online play. Free Wi-Fi out of the box. FFXIII on only one disc instead of many :D 

Keep the PS3. As much as I enjoy my 360, if I had to choose between the two, the PS3 would win hands down.

3. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    If it weren't for Gears of War, I would have sold my 360, but preferences are arbitrary. You should go with your gut. If you have a 360, then 1 game is easily replaced by another. You could play Dante's Inferno instead when you get the God of War itch. I also like the free online play of the PS3. I know Microsoft monitors XBL, but free is free. That money I would spend for online play can go to games or downloadables instead.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This isn't the type of thing we should be making the decision on. Ask yourself this...Are you going to miss the PS3 if you sold it?

Now you should have your answer.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, this doesn't affect everyone, but being on one disc isn't the only different between PS3 and 360's Final Fantasy. There are early reports that there is a definitely difference in texture and sound compression between the two, and that the original screenshots of the two versions were not really comparison shots. If you look it up, you can definitely see the differences now.

I got rid of my 360 after the 3rd RROD, and when Mass Effect was announced I regretted it and ended up buying another one.

One thing that has happened to me before and I ended up learning from this is: I have sold a very good game because I was in need of funds... so I traded in a game to help with buying another one. When I checked the receipt, I realized that the value of the trade in was like 10 bucks. Now when I try to find that game it's almost non-existent, and the places that sell it sell it for a lot more than what I feel like spending.

So let's say a PS3 is worth a 100 bucks for sell, and that killer game comes out in a year and you MUST have it, so you have to spend 300 again (should you choose to rebuy the system like I did). Ask yourself if you would rather just save the 100 bucks you'd get from selling the system. If I had known that Baldur's Gate 2 was going to be difficult to find, I would have just given the guy 10 bucks, instead of trading it in.

Dunno if that makes sense, but simply ask yourself if what you'll be getting for it is really not something you could save up, and keep the system Just in Case. I rarely turn on my 360, but I have to keep it, because Mass Effect 3 will come to it soon, and I'd rather have it sitting there, than the 100 bucks that it will give me, which I can get by just saving a little.

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks to me like you have already made your decision to go with the 360 just do that if that is what you want. You only really like RPG's and Action genres? You do know that the GOW franchise will only be on the PS3 right? If you just want that type of game like SilentDarth said just get Dante Inferno for the 360. As far as the Blu-ray player part of it if you only have one Blu-ray just sell that with the system.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, a point to be made is that if you like RPGs, right now the 360 has a legion of them.... notice how I used the word "Legion" ;D

8. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, you'd be better served selling the PS3 and getting a really good desktop computer. Inevitably, unless it comes from Japan, anything you'll want to play on an X-Box 360 will be on PC. You can just buy a 360 controller, and you're good to go. Then you don't have to worry about RROD, text not being optimized for your TV, etc. Eventually, you can either put a Blu-Ray drive in your desktop too.

9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I was a uber Sony fanboy for the past 15 years until PS3 came out.The removal of most of the library,memory card support and 4 control ports bugged the hell out of me.(i had a original 60 gig till it died and had to replace it with a inferior POS)

This is a list i made

Pros

The best BluRay player out there imo
    Basically a computer under 500 bucks
    Not many exclusives but some of them are A+
    Free online

Cons
    Game library is available on Xbox(sans a few gems like Uncharted)
    Not a good choice for younger kids
    Backward Comp is basically gone(ps1 works)
    While free,the online gaming is not good

I own both but i Game on the 360 and multimedia on the PS3.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of your cons are subject to opinion Red, ;)  the second one and third one being true and debatable, especially if he has a PS2 compatible PS3, then it won't matter that newer models don't have PS2 BC.

"Not Many exclusives" is totally 2006, especially since more PS3 exclusives receive higher meta-critic scores than the fewer 360 ones.

But this thread can turn into "one of those" so I'll stick to, if you don't like it, sell it.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes, you should sell it.
    You should sell it to me.
    I'll give you a clean hundred dollar bill and a ROTF Wheelie.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    :lol 

<< Hugs Mass Effect

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just hold onto it, you've already invested in it.

If you sell it now it will be at a loss, and if you change your mind in the future (more exclusives come along that you want to play, want Blu-Ray, etc) then you will need to rebuy the system, and you will end up spending more in the long run than if you actually kept it in the first place.

Just my $0.02

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Free online play and Blu-Ray player. These 2 alone should be enough reasons to hold on to your PS3, but do what your heart tells you to do.

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I think you should sell one of the two. I used to own a 360 and PS3 but ended up dumping the 360 due to RROD issues. To me, its kinda ridiculous to own two gaming systems that for the most part, have the same games. You can play Modern Warfare, Dead Space, Bioshock, Madden, Batman, etc on both

Exclusives? well lets see

PS3
    Metal Gear Solid
    MAG
    Uncharted
    God of War
    Killzone

Gears of War
    Mass Effect
    (probably more, its been awhile since i've kept up with xbox)

Gaming isn't the same for me anymore, I don't HAVE to play the next chapter in a specific series. Thats why it was easy for me to dump the 360.

Do you love the 360 exclusives that much? if so, sell the PS3. If a majority of the games you like are on both systems, i'd keep the PS3 just because of the blu ray. Eventually, that medium will replace DVD's and the cost should go down

16. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Do 360 exclusives tend to appear on PC as well?

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've seen gears of war and mass effect for PC several times.

Mass Effect 2 - Windows

here is a link to Mass Effect 2 on PC. I haven't been a big fan of PC gaming since 2001... is it still pretty expensive?

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, Mine!! :lol 

19. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If you are selling your PS3, I could very be a buyer for it :D 

Let's talk business when you decide.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Being the unapologetic Sony fan boy I am, I say, KEEP YOUR PS3.

That is all. :D