Podcast Maximus: James Roberts TFNation 2016 interview

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mort, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
  2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  3. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Sorry guys, I'm afraid we have no plans for a transcript at the moment. If anyone would like to help us with one, please get in touch!

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Very interesting hearing---although I find it difficult to retain information in this form of communication, I found the few tidbits I do remember quite interesting.

Very good point on Ravage's death from Megatron's view and the last minute "save" from Terminus.

I am intrigued at the first saga of Lost Light. It's not stated explicitly but it looks like for the first 4-6 parter we will be focusing on Getaway's crew [on the side if not primarily].

This creates an interesting parallel with the beginning of S2; where we followed a Captain we could not necessarily see in that seat [Megatron], it appears that we will now have yet another case of that deja vu.

On a slightly more worrying undertone, Roberts kept stressing that people are being set up to be in their endgame positions soon, just in case. I feel that the abrupt ending of both MTMTE and RID must have made him realize that there may as well be a chance he will be asked to wrap up sooner than expected, although to be fair he did more or less say the same thing for S2.

Very interested to read MTMTE 57, it does sound like it will be very good -despite- having a random plot forced onto it that the author had no intentions of picking up.

6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

I honestly think Roberts will do better with a plot structure sort of forced onto him from Hasbro, last season was all over the place structure-wise.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    All of this sounds very promising especially more focus on the mutiny.

8. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like Roberts is planning to wrap it up early, from reading the reactions.

9. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I wouldn't say it sounds like he's planning on wrapping up early, like he said he's going to begin manoeuvering everyone towards the end of the quest, but that doesn't necessarily mean the end of the book is coming any time soon.
    Bear in mind half of the reason behind Getaway's mutiny was the lack of progress they had made under Rodimus's captaincy, so of course things will start to actually progress. How long that takes is another question entirely.

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Anyone able to drop a highlights list of the things Roberts said?

11. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad to read that he's starting to move characters towards the endgame... we are nearly 60% of the way through the 100-issue estimate. You have to assume at least one crossover will soak a few issues up, so we're looking at - what - one more full "season" and one mini-one?

Better to be closing storylines off than leave them all to the last minute.

Add me to the list of people who want to go on the internet and READ stuff - until Ctrl+F works on audio and video files, I'll wait for the transcript ;) 

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Is there a written version? I'm at work. Until I'm home I probably have forgotton about that and won't hear it anyway. :( 

13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Very nice interview.

I can't be 100% sure, but all good things must come to an end eventually. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has in store for the characters as they finally reach their endgame. It's been an awesome ride, and hopefully it goes out with a bang.

14. Succursal

Succursal Well-Known Member

Same. I prefer to read things, I have trouble processing audio. If a transcript doesn't exist then the podcast basically doesn't exist for me.

15. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Glad those who've given it a listen have enjoyed it. I didn't get the sense James was wrapping things up in a hurry, just that he was positioning players for the endgame, which makes sense half way through a story.

I personally found it interesting when he went into Tarn's motivations a bit more and the way he and Flywheels would have viewed their jobs. I don't think he'd touched on that before.

With regards to a transcript, audio won't be accessible to everyone, we understand that (written interviews are not accessible to everyone either), but we are a podcast and a face to face interview has many advantages over a written one in terms of rapport. Feel free to move on if it's not for you and apologies if it's genuinely not accessible to you because of health and/or language barriers.

16. levyshahar

levyshahar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    who is that James (Nils?) they mention?

17. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can understand that. And I believe a live interview is a much better way to *collect* information of this sort than a back-and-forth email. My preference for text/transcripts over podcasts is mainly that, for me, they're not the best way to disseminate that information once collected. You've done the digging and that is rad, but I want to skip to what you dug up :D 

In my case it's purely personal preference... I hope my expressed preference for searchable text didn't read as a knock for the podcast way of doing things (sorry if it did!) It's clearly working for a lot of fans.

I can't make time for listening to 90 minute podcasts (or radio shows - same difference), and I've tried having them on when doing something else but then the something else doesn't go well :) 

18. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I have a preference for searchable text too. We'd love to have a transcript, so if anyone has the time to help us out, please get in touch.

19. Succursal

Succursal Well-Known Member

Do you guys have a budget? You can hire people to transcribe audio off of Fiverr and other gig places. It's only like $5 for 20 minutes of audio.

20. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    While I may not have enjoyed all the places that the book has gone of late, its always a treat to get to hear James spit game about writing and getting his insights on the characters and universe he's built.

I too enjoyed him going into character motivations, specifically in terms of guys like Flywheels and Tarn who throughout the course of their lives have done gruesome things and the ways in which an individual will justify their actions.

My favorite bit, and I forget the question that prompted this response; but he talked to his own motivations for writing and in his love for the Transformers, seeing a fully realized alien race and sci-fi universe, hoping to try to impress upon people that there's room for this franchise to be much more than just a toy advertisement. That truly resonated with me.