PO'd over Twins Criticism

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    Ok, without imparting my own thoughts about the Twins, it is my duty, as a TF fan, to defend them in some sort of way. I didn't think it was a "good" movie, but I still greatly enjoyed TF ROTF and was pretty shocked about all of the criticism it received.

The other day, I saw a TV spot for some movie called G-Force, which is apparently about secret agent guinea pigs. What pissed me off about it was one guinea pig, sporting black fur, named Blaster (haha, yeah) who, to me, was an "African American" caricature. He spoke in a "gangster" manner, imparting such interjections as "aww yeah" and "yeh yeh". While he's not cussing as the Twins did (which I believe is excusable because it's a PG-13 movie), he is still a fictional depiction of the "negative stereotypes" that the critics of ROTF are ranting on about, just without the cuss words. Seriously, the only difference between the Twins and this character, Blaster, is the fact he's not cussing.

What pisses me off the most about this is that no one is going to complain about this kids movie, simply because they will say, "oh, it's just a fuzzy rodent character, made for kid's enjoyment". The purpose of the Twins was to have "cool robot characters, for the general (PG-13) audience's enjoyment", yet the Twins continue to be bashed for being subliminally racist to African Americans.

Rant done. Of course, my point of view is biased because I'm a TF fan, so feel free to share your thoughts.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I propose an automated ban for threads in the movie forum that contain the word "Twins" in the title.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Good Grief, Charlie Brown.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    most people are morons, just remember that

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Although I too am tired of all the "twins" threads (both lovers and haters), he does have a point.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
  7. tehKOREANdude

News Credits:
    I'm sorry if these thread irritated you, and I agree that there are a good amount of threads regarding the Twins, but I don't think anyone has brought up the issue of the Twins being equally, what is being called, "racist" as kid's movie hamsters.

mmhmm. i realize that, which is why I carry around a miniature nerf gun, with which to shoot people (kidding).

8. smkspy

Though this topic is beat the fuck to death, I'm gonna address this comparison (and Mater from the Cars comparison). The difference I believe, is that you have known actors essentially playing themselves as the voices of these fictional roles. Mater is Larry the Cable Guy and Blaster is Tracey Morgan. They aren't so much playing on stereotypes as they're banking on the comedy routines that have made them famous.

Beyond TF fans, who know the voices for the Twins, the general public is more inclined to view the Twins as actual characters and all the faults or percieved sterotypes they embody. Your general public will recognize Larry the Cable Guy and Tracey morgan. Not so much Tom Kenny and the other guy. For Transformers, the Twins become living breathing characters, and the characteristics they see in those characters has bothered some.

9. tehKOREANdude

News Credits:
    I see what you mean. I agree with what you say, but I don't like the truth in what you said. I believe that regardless as to whether or not the voice actor is, as you eloquently described, "banking on [themselves]", it does not excuse the fact that it may be just as racially insensitive as when a lesser known person does it. The significance of something should not depend on the person dishing it out.

10. smkspy

Tis the world we live in, sadly. When people can recognize where the source of that character is coming from, they're a lot more forgiving of that portrayal. With the Twins, it's really ambiguous where that portrayal is coming from whether explicitely implied or not. People see what they want to see. I don't see them as racist, but I see them as offensive and I do recognize all the sources where that portrayal comes from. Frankly, they just shouldn't be in a movie that is so directed primarily at children. Imagine those same characters and their looks in any other animated movie, and you'd still have the same shit-storm.

Edit: I guess the part that bugs me the most is that Bay must have been aware of the complaints about Jazz's portrayal in the first movie, yet still chose to include the Twins in such a manner. It's like he was banking on the inevitable controversry.

11. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Have you guys seen my keys?....Can't find them...( Door Closes)

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You can quit doing that, now.

And seriously, we have had, probably, dozens of Twins threads. No more, please.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.