Minor/Repaint: plowking + Sq7 + clay = Awesome :) (Alternators Octane)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, May 24, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys! It's certainly been a while since I've been able to post a project thread for quite a number of reasons. This thread is the culmination of a lot of different things and even different artists, as the title notes! :)  So, if you want to hang out for just a little bit, ol' Quaddy here will tell ya a story :)  Take a load off for a few, and we'll dig in :) 

Quite a few moons ago, plowking and I made some different arragements, and one of those ended up being a modification for an Alt Mirage. Essentially, what he did was take the hatch back portion off, made a clean cut down the middle (and I'm still really impressed with just that portion of this project!), and make the part to detach for a melee weapon.

When I got this one from pk, having it in my hands (like all things from him) was really a special experience. Realizing this, I really wanted to make sure his particular work went towards something special (while I really like the concept and may very well end up replicating it, there is specificity to this particular piece being made by pk).

As I've discussed before, I have a "to-do" list of customs I want to do. What happens when I'm thinking about a particular mold, I'll go to this list and look at my ideas. Also, I'll jump to Customs here or go to our gallery. We've seen a few white w/ blue stripes Ford GT40s, typically as Breakdown. I really like the look of that car, but I already have a Breakdown (or "BRAKEDOWN": Brakedown BT - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM), so I wanted to do something new. So, off to the drawing board I went!

I was in the process of replacing my Alternators Springer that I gave to my best friend at the time for Christmas once. I was already in the "Triple Changer" character mindset, even though I don't want to make any Alt triple changers (I like to leave that sorta thing for Classics-Universe, as it seems to fit a bit more :) ), and I wanted a character that "fit" the Ford GT40.

That being said, I'm sure quite a few may think my choices here are a bit odd. That's ok, as I like to push the boundaries a bit anyways with things :)  Going through characters and such, I felt that "Octane" fit for a number of reasons. I felt that getting him away from being a truck would be kinda cool and different, and I thought I'd take a different spin on his character too. It's not "GEEWUN" Octane anyways, as I often just like to infuse enough elements of a character for a homage to translate, not be a 1:1 ratio of the original (as I have an original of course!).

I'd also been talking to my good friend, clay, about Alt customs, as he and I have been friends for many years through our shared hobby here :)  We bounced around this idea, and both really liked it. I've always loved his work, and getting customs from friends always makes my collection much more special. We made our arrangements, and I knew up front that he had quite a few things going on. As one who can go for lengthy spells with our hobby here, I was totally cool with clay pretty much taking his time and working on things whenever. During the time that followed, it always gave us a connection point of conversation reference :) 

Anyways, fast forward through a lot of customs work, to recent time here :)  Part of my arrangement with clay was that I wanted to work on the head. He and I use the same paint, so that match-up wasn't a problem. Pretty much all I had to do was make some adjustments to my head work when I got Mirage back from clay so that it would be nice and snug. Some putty and about an hour later, and it was finished for the most part. I've still got to do some touch-up things simply for preservation's sake, as I'll be adding some Future to the piece to give it a nice sealant, as well as a few more final tweaks like that :) 

I could have posted a wip thread a long time ago, but I really didn't want a thread to last as long as the project itself did (around 2 years). That being said, I still enjoy process photos and such, so those will be posted here.

I typically start with a digibash after I've came up with a concept, especially since they're VERY easy to change before committing to paint. You'll see here that with the two digibashes, there were just a few minor changes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll also noticed a few running changes even after the digibashes (which sometimes happens).

Here are the wip photos:

06-05-2008:

[​IMG]

06-10-2008:

[​IMG]

06-16-2008:

[​IMG]

09-13-2008:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

09-20-2008:

[​IMG]

11-14-2008:

[​IMG]

01-19-2009:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

06-30-2009:

[​IMG]

07-01-2009

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Here are the rest of the wip photos:

03-07-2010:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . . and these are the unpacking photos with the ceremonial "Attaching of the Head" photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you guys enjoy this thread :) 

Attached Files:

3. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ohhhhhh man that is really awesome, very very nice work and a really creative way to replicate Octane's accessory by splitting the rear canopy

4. BigdogandHammer

BigdogandHammer The Autobot Brothers

cool, I like the color choices

5. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

now that is awesome!

6. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Awsome you guys!!! just Awsome!!!
    cant wait to see the finished product!!
    i seriously need to do some Alt. Customs lol

7. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    So that's what was in that box!

That's awesome!

8. DrChrysler

DrChrysler Change Into A Truck!

Ebay:
    Nice project, good teamwork, excellent W.I.Progress, pics are great!
    I admire your passion for the alts and bt's, especially after looking thru your November Radicon redirects. Well done!

9. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    now that I beat a back story out of him for all these crazy alts, I can actually say I love these ideas.
    You guys have all done great work and I'm glad to see it in completion.
    Well done guys.

10. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, you guys did an outstanding job on him! :thumb 

11. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

This is an epic collaboration. Good gawd, it's gorgeous!! Thanks for the photos, so clean!

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Nice job, guys! :bowdown: 
    Oh, and is that G1 Sonic Bomber's head?! :confused: 

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :ev:  Yup! :D 

Thanks! I think both of these guys did a great job on their respective work :)  I enjoyed working on the head and how it came out as well :) 

Thanks! As far as the back story goes, I posted Alternators Octane's in this thread and the rest in the interview (see redirect). :) 

I'm glad you took the time not only to post, but to check out the redirects I posted. That tells me you actually read what I wrote :)  Ol' 'nobbi77 there I redirected to myself :lol  :) poke)

Interestingly enough, I've been in a lull outside of collecting G1 again, so this custom came back to me at a very good time :) 

Thanks! It's much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to post :thumb  I'm very glad to be able to finally share this one :) 

I wasn't able to post everything before I left for work tonight, so here goes for some added clarification with things that some of you guys posted about:

Thanks, and you're very welcome! I'll be editing the initial post, as, if you note the filenames of the wip photos, they're organized by date of when they were original sent to me. clay would send me photos ever so often of his progress. The last batch of photos were shot the day I got him!

I'm glad you saw this without me having to say anything! :)  It certainly makes me feel that this concept communicates well with the design nods I chose :) 

I really can't say enough about plowking's work. When I first had this in my hands, I was really impressed. So much so, that I shot a mini photo gallery prior to the painting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is in Mirage's hands, just prior to clay starting work on Alternators Octane:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=27163117&stc=1&d=1274772253/IMG]

[quote="BigdogandHammer, post: 4840226"]cool, I like the color choices[/QUOTE]

Thanks! While customs using this alt mode color scheme have been done before, I wanted to make some unique choices regarding the robot color scheme. I've already mentioned that while they may not be the most popular choices, they're once I'm really happy with. Please don't misread me here, as I'm not trying to be "non-conformist" in that sense; I just wanted something "surprising" when it's transformed. I mean, if it was handed this Alt in car mode and transformed it, I don't think I would have expected Octane [if I were not privy to those choices].

That's one reason I included the digibashes so that my conceptual process can be seen as well. The concepts are really where I put a lot of work in, as I'll mull over things for quite a while before actually committing to something, often times.

[quote="Terrorcon_King, post: 4840304"]Awsome you guys!!! just Awsome!!!
    cant wait to see the finished product!!
    i seriously need to do some Alt. Customs lol[/QUOTE]

plowking and clay both really made this a special piece for my collection. I'm quite the fan of both of them :) 

As for the finished product, this is it. I've only very minor things left to do.

[QUOTE='[Wing_Saber-X];4840890']Nice job, guys! :bowdown: 
    Oh, and is that G1 Sonic Bomber's head?! :confused: [/QUOTE]

Nope! For the head, I took an Alt Smokescreen head and an Alt Rumble head and kitbashed them together. I cut out Rumble's face (I did it before [I]Revenge of the Fallen[/I], so I wasn't inspired by Prime! :lol ) and modded the inside so that the Smokescreen faceplate would simply fit inside. After I got this back from clay, I simply put some putty inside to account for the neck joint.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post, guys; it's very much appreciated :) 

Attached Files:

14. ki1983ng

ki1983ng Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the head and colours Sq!

15. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    wow that a nice paint job
    te cut on the hood is a really smart idea

16. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

Very awesome. How'd you get the white paint on as smooth as that?

17. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

beautiful!

18. clay

clay Well-Known Member

Those work in progress pictures do not accurately reflect just how many times I painted the stripes before they came out right.

:sly: 

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice work, the three of you came together really well on it

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

this is going to be be freaking amazing