Plot: What would you have done differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm okay with ROTF, despite its glaring issues, but I'm wondering what many of you would've done differently with the plot using the existing elements and concepts from this sequel.

Here's my take:

I didn't like the idea of The Fallen being around at the start of the movie, ordering Megatron and the other Decepticons around.

Before seeing this movie and reading the heavy spoilers, I had this idea of The Fallen being on earth and in stasis with Megatron (once revived) concocting a plan to resurrect and use him as a weapon against Earth and the Autobots.

The Decepticons, without their leader, should've split into two factions: one led by Starscream where he tries to build his own army using the protoforms on the Nemesis; the other by Soundwave, who subsequently revives Megatron and the other dead Decepticons (e.g. Bonecrusher, Blackout) coupled with the Earth survivors (e.g. Scorponok, Barricade) and other Megatron loyalists.

It's not much, but I feel it would add greater tension to the Megatron/Starscream relationship and give the Decepticons greater characterization. Heh, it would also help explain the recycled Bonecrusher/Blackout models.

I'm wondering what some of your ideas would be regarding the plot.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    More The Fallen and Jetfire screentime, no Alice robot, just a human girl that gets caught in the fire.

SIDEWAYS would be Barricade to get done with him already.

This one isn't too important but I seriously think Wheelie should've been named RUMBLE.

3. Satomiblood

I would've taken Alice out as well, or have her as a human manipulated by Soundwave.

4. F575

F575 Member

One thing i'd have changed would have been Devastator. I'd have had the US Military fending off the Protoforms - and thinking they where in the clear - then bring up the big guy; complete with a Megatron/Fallen gimmicky "Devastator! Finish the job!" line thrown in for good measure. Only just make him more impervious to the human weapons and make it so the Autobots actually have to bring him down; not just the worlds most handy-placed railgun.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh also, I thought it would be cool if Grindor and Bonecrusher-clone were the dead Decepticons being controlled by Soundwave to help in battle. Just a crazy idea I had.

6. Tekfreak

Tekfreak Well-Known Member

in my eyes, if yer the writers and yer bringing in charachters the fans wanted like arcee, constructicons whatever, at least give these charachters *some* development, instead of just action robots.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Sideways would have been Barricade.
    There'd be a reason why Alice is hanging around at college - I wouldn't get rid of her...I thought she was awesome!
    I'd have had the Fallen trapped or something until the final battle - then more screentime. I still don't understand why he had just been sitting around for millions of years.

8. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    I would kill all the humans so the robots can have more screen time.

9. Satomiblood

I agree with the sentiments regarding Sideways as a reformatted Barricade. It made more sense to go that route and would've tied the loose end from the previous movie. They could've had a shot of him scanning the Audi R8 and relocating to HK in an attempt to avoid NEST and the Autobots.

10. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chalk up another "Sideways should have been Barricade" vote from me.

I would have given the NEST Autobots some more scenes together, especially after Prime dies. Would've loved a scene between Ironhide, Ratchet, Sideswipe etc like the one at the observatory in TF1.

11. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Explain the resurrection/return of The Fallen better.

That's my main gripe with the film.

12. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I loved the movie, and I'm not one to complain, but there are a few nits to pick (mainly just character stuff though).

-I would've liked to see Arcee, Jolt (that was that blue one with the electic cables right?), and Sideswipe a little more developed.

-WHERE WAS BARRICADE?!?!!!?!?!??!

-Maybe a little explanation on Devastator and the different Constructicons (but I've read a lot on this forum and I like my own way of seeing how it works lol)

That's really it, one thing I loved about the first movie was the small cast (at least for the Autbots) which allowed them to have *some* character development and personality.

13. Satomiblood

I would've kept Jolt out of the movie. I found him to be a waste of space. Ratchet could've just as easily linked the Jetfire armor to Prime a la the magnets from his Animated counterpart.

14. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Several things -

1. Decepticons would be more of a threat, and not just fodder
    2. Devastator killing an Autobot or two
    3. Use different robots instead of duplicate Constructicons
    4. Have the individual Constructicons transform into robots and see them interact

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They didn't even need to link at all.

Pretty much this for starters. With the Fallen laying dormant, and Starscream secretly seeking to revive him while Soundwave and the Constructicons work to revive Megatron.

I also would have made sure the Constructicons were one of a kind looking bots, and not have them recycled so much. Let the Protoforms be the faceless cannon fodder, Constructicons should be a unique, elite group.

And Devastator would have actually fought more then just the Twins, the whole concept as a whole was wasted because we never saw the big guy actually *do* anything.

Keep just one Arcee bot and give her, Sideswipe and Jolt more non-combat screen time to actually give them character. Let them have some time to talk and mull about, maybe mourn Prime's death in a G1 reference scene.

"Sideways" would have been Barricade, which could have been explained by having him transform clearly, with a close up of his face and maybe an Autobot yelling his name as he's chasing or something.

I also would have omitted some of the more pointless scenes and dirty jokes. Pot head mom? No. Leg humping robot? Not needed. Decepticles? ...really?

But I still would have left in the wang cannon from the one bot in the kitchen scene. Only because that's so ridiculous and over so fast without anyone having to point it out.

16. rivalarod

rivalarod NACIXEM

i think all that should have been done was more screen time w/ ARCEE and instead of the constructions fighting againsts the humans, other decepticon charaters instead of repeats...that bumbed me out seeing the same charaters on Devestator as well in the battle, or even name some of the protoforms as they fight.

17. NFossil

NFossil Well-Known Member

I hate OP being destined to being a match for the Fallen, so he could just beat the sh* out of that ancient powerful thing. I would prefer some kind of autobot teamwork to take out the Fallen, probably involving Jetfire using the space bridge again.
    The two big bad things - Fallen and Devy should also cooperate more.

18. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

OK, prepare.

• Get rid of Jolt. If you're going to give him 5 seconds of screen time, no lines, and a name, then you're just doing it to fill space. There's nothing in the movie that he did that any other 'Bot couldn't do.
    • Give Devastator WAY more screentime, and at the end, have him killed by the Autobots, not a conveniently placed railgun. It would also be fun if he killed Jolt.
    • Make the Prime/Fallen fight longer. Sheesh. If you're going to have Optimus as a destined match for the Fallen, at least make the fight epic.
    • I wouldn't give the Twins so much screentime, and instead give it to other characters. (Soundwave perhaps?)
    • Feature Barricade, or at least have one of the characters MENTION him.

19. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    The Fallen could have been portrayed as more of an unknown, dark and terrifying ancient entity by having initially kept him entombed in his sarcophagus as we'd read about from the movie comics. Then it could have been a case of the Decepticons preparing for and aiding in The Fallen's revival whilst the Autobots would be attempting to stop the Decepticons from releasing the Fallen from his tomb. They would fail to prevent the rising of the Fallen and thus the Autobots and the NEST soldiers would then have to confront him and his Decepticon followers for the final battle.

It would have been cool also if they had linked the origins of the Decepticon forces back to the Fallen, stating him as the first 'Decepticon' when he betrayed the other original Primes and thus explaining why the Decepticon symbol resembles the Fallen's face. This also would give a good reason for Megatron to be obeying him, seen as he would be heralded as the 'father' of all Decepticons.

Aside from that, as others have said, more attention and characterization opportunities given to the new (and returning) Autobots Sideswipe, the Arcee trio, Jolt, Ratchet and Ironhide would have been great, not just the Twins, Wheelie and Jetfire. I think the Alice and Leo characters and a good portion of the slow build-up to the Egypt battle would have been better sacrificed in favour of time spent getting to know the personalities of the other Autobots.

It would have been more believable and satisfying if it had required all the Autobots and human soldiers to bring down Devastator.

Instead of Sam dying and going to Autobot heaven, it'd have made more sense if it had been Optimus being the one seeing and being spoken to by the Primes in his 'death'.

And the final battle between Optimus & The Fallen really could have done with being a bit longer, giving the Fallen a chance also to display his powers and might and seem at least a worthy challenge for Optimus to take down.

20. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I would have had a plot...