Plot hole question, concerning final battle

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Maximo Prime, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    My brother-in-law is absolutely confounded as to why the Autobots/military brought the final battle into a crowded city, which would cause thousands of casualties, when the Autobots are SO into not threatening humans.

Also - Frenzy sitting in an elevator as someone's random boombox would've been immediately ejected for being an unidentified piece of tech...5 seconds showing someone official bringing him aboard would've helped...

thoughts? comments?

Especially the first one, I really can't argue that, except they wanted to get the allspark to that spot to hand it off to the helicopters, but really why couldn't they fight in the desert?>

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    city = places to hide it? thats my guess

as for frenzy, i would say stewardess' wouldnt really think twice about a stereo, they would prob think its a stereo, its on the plane, must have been cleared

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    They weren't going to make their stand in Mission city, that was just supposed to be a stop on the way to a secure location, but the Decepticons intercepted the convoy before they got out of the city.

4. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Basically, as Sso02V said, the city was just supposed to be a pit stop. Apparently they didn't count on the Decepticons catching up with them so quickly and had hoped the military would get there faster.

And with Frenzy, I'd agree with RHansen. The stewardess probably figured some one just forgot to pick it up after they got off the elevator. If it had been a normal boombox it would have had to been cleared before it got on that plane anyway.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Precisely why the fight ended up in the city...

As for Frenzy, who knows?

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Mission City was a rendezvous spot to get the Allspark out of the city. Bringing it to a populace was supposed to help mask it from Decepticon trackers, but they followed the Autobots, hence: Final battle.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Hehe, you said Convoy. ^^
    I agree with all of you, Mission City was the place to hide the Allspark 'til it could be transported to a new location.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Mission City: Already covered.

Frenzy: Just assume someone official DID carry it on the plane. There we go.

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    The writers actually said that they went to the city so that they could get the CB radios. Which was only glanced upon in the movie. The book had a whole scene of Lennox trying to aquire the radios from the lady at the Pawn shop. I have a feeling we will see that footage eventually, either with the DVD release or IMAX.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Since everyone else has..already explained things pretty much, I'll just take this moment to say this:

Neither of those are plotholes.

Further cementing the fact that plothole is one of the single most misused words on the internet.

11. Nate2k3

Nate2k3 Active Member

It sure is great to see most of the Los Angeles skyline become Mission city. That to me is plot hole.

12. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Last i checked, air force one only has officers onboard, not simple stewardesses, who might make that kind of error that a trained officer would not.

i said the same thing, five seconds of an official bringing it on, but if that was shot, it really needed to not be cut from the final film...

There's a difference between me not knowing something within a plot that at least the characters know, and just don't say...

...and me having to make up a point in the plot because it was simply not there.

Hell, a simple "Dammit, Jenkins, do you have to leave your stuff everywhere" would've helped, at least she "knew" who the boombox belonged to. You could tell in what was IN the film that she saw a boombox that she DID NOT RECOGNIZE, and any officer on AF1 would've brought it to her CO, and asked for it to be verified, and if it couldn't, then it would be summarily ejected from the plane.

Plot. Hole.

As for the city, do you think that what happened the way it did was a result of Autobots underestimating the efficiency of the D'cons in tracking them? (i can see it now- "Dammit, it wasn't like this in the 80s!!" :)  )

Do you think the Autobots considered that possibility, and risked the humans anyway, in a "better a few thousand dead than a whole world destroyed" philosophy?

13. Sparky Prime

For all we know, she was going to check about the boombox after she got the dingdongs from storage. From there, assuming it was just a misplaced boombox, they'd probably check to see who it belonged it. Then if no one claimed it they might eject it out of the plane as a possible threat. Remember though, Frenzy was shown sitting underneath someone's chair, so presumably that guy brought Frenzy on-board the plane. So it's possible Frenzy either made it through the screening process or switched with the actual boombox just prior to getting on the plane but after the original had gone through security.

And the city, you're forgetting it wasn't the Autobot's idea to bring the cube to a city in the first place. It was those military guys.

14. Maximo Prime

Ebay:

cool i sparked a debate :) 

Dingdongs do not take priority over what could be a bomb disguised as a boombox. That guy did not look like the type to carry his ghetto blaster on board with him (the guy whose seat Frenzy was under). And again, we shouldn't have to fill in the blanks on something like that. As for the screening process....ten seconds could've shown that... or someone else bringing him on board.

as for the city - you're right, but would the Autobots agree to an idea that would inevitably kill thousands of humans?

for instance: Josh Duhamel's character: I know! We'll hide the Allspark within this pile of priceless fabrege eggs.
    (Sam winces, remembering his birdbath)

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Not even ten seconds, but that's what being a robot in disquise is all about. But seriously, humans are notoriously lathargic and careless by nature,the stewartess needs to be fired. (I mean, the president was on the plane, they couldn't have double checked it or something?) Though, how did we know the lady didn't recognize the boombox? Obviously someone brought it in, she might have noticed.
    Unfortunatly, the Autobot's didn't have a say in the matter. Only Bumblebee was at the dam and he got left out of the conversation.

16. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Not a stewardess... an officer. Think of the graver consequences of abandoning your duties... Security, post 9-11, is especially THAT tight. Random piece of tech in the elevator? Gone. Hell, maybe if he had been on someone's desk, and when you looked at the boombox, you assumed it belonged to the desk owner... but not in the elevator. Then you go - I don't know who that belongs to, fuck the prez's dingdongs, I'm gonna find out - it's my JOB to protect the president and everyone else on this flight... just like anyone else on that plane would do (in a working capacity, not necessarily guests).

i personally would've loved seeing Frenzy sneak up to a workstation that had a boombox, scan it, and kick it off to the side, whistling as he did it...would've been totally in character (if a bit noisy...meh, you get the picture).

I suspend my disbelief that giant robots come to earth. But given that one thing, everything else should work as it normally does.

Hmm... good call, but you don't think the Autobots would've argued the point once they found out the plan?

I need to see it again :) 

17. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

Dude, its a film man!!!! Bringing 9-11 into it may be taking it over the top somewhat.

anyway, we seem to be missing the biggest thing hear what the hell is a Ding Dong?

18. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

The Ding-Dong question is in an old post about three days after the movie release.
    In brief. A Ding-Dong is either a overly sweet/rich snack cake or politicians from any party after they are elected.

19. Sparky Prime

It's Air Force One... Security for that plane has always been THAT tight. Ever see the movie "Air Force One"? That is not the most accurate of films I realize, but they do show everything that goes onto that plane goes through a hefty screening process. But we're talking robots in disguise here. The way I see it, that lady probably just thought someone forgot to pick up the boombox when they went into the storage or something like that.

20. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    alright, strike the 9-11 comment, my apologies... regardless, all of these "oops" excuses for not jettisoning Frenzy still don't make any sense.

Come on folks!! I need something to battle my brother in law with (i was trying to fight him on these points the other night, and i was just spent..)