Please Understand, This Is A New Universe

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by not_prime, Jun 29, 2009.

1. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

Lots of threads being started right now, usually starting with something along the lines of "IT WAS WRONG! NOT ENOUGH LIKE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS!". What I want to remind you of, loyal fans, is that this movie-verse is COMPLETELY NEW. This means that the characters must be re-developed, story changes, and everything is not updated, but DONE OVER.
    This means that although there may be nods to previous series, this does not mean they are recreating the same characters on the big screen. These are new robots people! This isn't your '84 Optimus Prime. These guys mean business, and are here to stay. Same way Animated characters were unlike their originals. They just reused the names.
    I know this seems obvious, but it must be said AGAIN, because there are too many people complaining that these characters are not like their originals, nor is the storyline. Sure there are flaws in writing (Revenge of the Fallen), but you can't complain that the character isnt living up to their namesake. This is a new character. Judge their mannerisms on what you OBSERVE. This is their character. Lament if you want, but do not complain. Please.

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    2007 called, they want your thread back. There have been far deeper problems than whether or not Sideswipe is red. More like, whether or not Sideswipe even had screen time in between mom eating special brownies and Turturro dropping his pants.

3. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

Yeah man, I know that this has been said before. I'm just sick of seeing threads such as "Optimus is ruined" and "Starscream isn't treacherous enough". Im just trying to tell them to give it a rest.

4. newguy

newguy i

Some people like the movieverse and others don't. Why can't people get that through their heads?

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I could've swore I just heard you say you were going to stop posting here until TF3. :lol  That didn't last long. :D 

6. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

I have always regarded movie adaptations as a different and seperate universe to the source material. 'Resident Evil', 'Spider-man', 'BATMAN', etc.
    Doesn't make the films any better, though. Sorry to be blunt, but I can't find redemption in this weak and inadequate reimagining of the TFs for the big screen. :2c: 

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, for Jesus' sake, just STOP. Just everyone, STOP creating threads designed to "call out" either the haters or the lovers. Just DISCUSS THE FUCKING MOVIE. Stop wasting your time repeatedly shouting your goddamn viewpoint at people who will never change their opinion - be it a good one OR a bad one - especialy when you're saying things that were an issue two years ago, never mind the wealth of issues anyone could have with ROTF.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This and This and more of this.

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think I need an intervention.

10. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

When I posted this thread, the underlining message was "Please discuss the movie, and not complain about how it doesn't live up to original scenarios and characters". These are new characters up to debate. Maybe we should just have different threads discussing each character separately :lol 

11. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

the biggest homage to g1 is sideswipe not having much screentime regardless of awesomeness

12. cnic

cnic Decepticon

I was going to write a similar post lol you beat me to it. I agree with you 100%. I'm an old school TF fan. I was 10 when G1 hit the air waves and forever changed my life. When the new series started to come out, I originally thought, what is this shit? This is NOT Transformers. BUT, I took the time out to watch them, and appreciate what the creators of those series were trying to do. It was a, re-inventing so to speak, and EVERYTIME the Transformers were re-invented, it was new and different. THAT'S what Bay and Co. did with the movieverse. It's another re-inventing of the franchise. New story, new character's, same idea. Good (Autobots) versus Evil (Decepticons). If they copied any of the other incarnations of the Transformers it would have been done already and it would not be new and people would complain that "Oh, that's been done already" No one wants to focus on what good these movies have done for the franchise, well a few people do, but it's mostly just bashing of what Bay has done and that it's not enough like this series or that series. I know every single person is entittled to their own opinion and I am too, but if you REALLY love Transformers then support it. Don't call it garbage and hate on it. Remember that it's just another person's view of the franchise and how they think it should be.

13. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

He has alot of homages, I would say. Being ruthless in attacks, and having the swords mimic his doors on the G1 character :D 

14. smkspy

You geewunner.:gen069: 

15. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

You my friend have articulated exactly what I'm trying to say. I go into this Movie thread section expecting people discussing the movie. Instead, I see a whole bunch of threads complaining about how it doesn't live up to their childhood. I see Nightrain even has "Michael Bay raped my childhood" in his sig, and Hand of Omega has something similar, which illustrates my point EXACTLY! We can compare, but IT ISNT THE SAME! This new universe should not reflect on previous incarnations. This is a new universe, please judge it on how good the universe and story is, not how it doesnt live up to the old.

Not a geewunner. Just noticed it is all. Nobody thought the swords were reminiscent of his doors? Meh, whatever. Animated ftw!

16. smkspy

But wrapped up in those threads ARE people discussing the movie based upon its merits. You inadvertently started a trolling thread because you feel the need to vent and lecture all us wayward people that just don't seem to get it. We get it and it's old, sorry to tell you.

And the geewunner comment was joke.

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Regarding my sig, I would state for the record that Revenge of the Fallen is a crime against ALL Transformers, not just G1.

18. not_prime

not_prime Still Sketchin

Im not trying to start a trolling thread, and I recognized it as a joke :lol . I guess my lack of emoticons failed to address that. Anyways, Im not trying to start a trolling thread, all I wanted to do was alert people ONCE AGAIN. I didnt even mean for this thread to go so long either! I just wanted it on the front page so the people complaining would change tack in their complaints. For example, "Optimus is ruined" is going about it in a manner I would say is good, cause the guy is actually comparing the two Primes, instead of just saying I WANT G1! I know I used his thread as an example in my bash in my first post, but I like the way he did it and mean no disrespect.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Sure it was bad, but it is still a legitimate story. Think of it as a poorly written episode. We all had our groans about some episodes in various TF series, right? This is one of those groans. If you want something that raped your childhood, look at Kiss Players. That one I would agree went too far.

19. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

You should tell the people that keep saying how its ok for the movie to have errors and be cheesy because G1 had errors and was cheesy.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There's little excuse for errors, but any story about cars that turn into robots or vice-versa is going to inevitably have some cheese to it, G1 or no.