Customs: Please read: for Forum Improvement

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Mar 19, 2006.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey guys! :)  Just wanted to hear from the masses concerning the Customs and Kitbashes forum.... Is there anything that you'd like to see done that you feel could improve or add to in some way to this forum? I've not come up with anything, but this forum doesn't recieve as many views or posts as almost any of the others. I realize that kitbashes and customs are for more of the hardcore fans/collectors, but if there's a good way to improve this section of the community, then I'd like to hear it! Feel free to post anything, discuss it amongst yourselves. If its something that's not possible, I'll let you know, if it is, I'll look into it. Now is the chance to have your voices heard!!

-Andy

2. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's already great.
    IMO not too many are into the KB thing (i personally am).

3. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have noticed on some other boards they split WIP and complete projects in to different sections. Alot of times i'll get excited about a title of a thread and find out that it's just somebody thinking about a project they want to do

4. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    is theyre a way to change the name of the threads here to show that its a update? maybe we could call the customs section something cool like the pit or something.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    How about a sticky thread at the top with the names of the kitbashers and links to the threads with thier work? That way people can still view bashes that have slipped to page 2 and beyond. Plus it'll make it easier for people to find other peoples past bashes... Just a suggestion.

6. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Being able to post attachments in this forum would help a me a lot. Other areas are able to have high quality pics attached right to the thread. I know that there are lots of pic hosting sites out there, but to get a good sized high res pic you usually have to pay. some of us don't have the bank for that. Because of this, I have had to post in the fan art forum in order to get decent pics for you guys to see.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I can tell you right now that this won't happen. It's actually a lot to get the site running smothly right now with everything TFW already has on it without added pictures from members. There are plenty of good hosting sites. I use photobucket which allows for a 375x500 px limit which is perfect.

Anything that makes the page have to scroll across because it's so big just ticks me off anyway.

8. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand why....I was just giving my two cents, because I was asked. Thanks for the Photobucket tip.

9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I agree with Wreckgar, though I tend to host my own pics. Allowing people to upload their pics onto the board themselves will lead to problems with the board's ability to handle all those pics at once...plus people don't always keep it in mind to crop their images down before posting. (or they like them sized the way they are--scrolling us two pages to the right)

10. REDLINE

News Credits:
    well, as far as pictures are concerned, I use both photobucket AND imageshack. Photobucket has the advantage that you can make subfolders to better organize your photos, but is disadvantaged by file size and picture sizes... IMAGESHACK, however, has no picture SIZE limit, and its FILE size limit is crazy, like a full MB... both of these services are FREE to use as well :)  Its actually being discussed by the staff for ways to reduce the load on the server (which is what causes those nasty 500 internal errors and crap!)

As for updating thread titles to show that they're updated, I do believe that I can change thread titles if you just let me know what the current title is and what you'd like it to be changed to (or just add that its updated).

I like the idea of the sticky table of contents by author... give me a couple of days to get a good organized layout that I like and I'll get back to you.

As for having Sub-forums, let me see what I can do...

THANK YOU for all the feedback!! Hearing from those who browse and post in here is the best way to get this forum to reach its potential. :D 

Andy

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is an excellent idea! One thing that would be cool as well building on this idea would be to network the bashes and their threads (i.e. Superquad7>Springer>gallery; comments thread). This way people could surf the customs works by artist, see samples, and even be able to go to the thread the artist posted to receive feedback.

One of the things I see is that we have a forum of artistic wealth for customs, but after a week or so, a given topic dies down due to updates and previous works being "forgotten" via thread sort by date (i.e. say if I posted a custom in Jan 06, by the time Jan 07 rolls around, unless a person has a good search query, that thread is hard to find). Plus it might keep the traffic of comments and such going too. If the thread wasn't "lost" simply due to this, maybe a certain project would get a bit more traffic. That's just a hypothesis though. :huh

12. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I agree with this also makes it easier to see new stuff by new people and visit the kitbashers you like

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    REDLINE, this is solely a voluntary thing, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

My ultimate, original goal with the "Exhaustive kitbasher's guide" was that every time somebody posted something really groundbreaking about "how they did it," I was going to copy that information, post it in the Exhaustive kitbasher's guide and give them appropriate credit. Now, of course, this hasn't exactly happened, mostly because I'm lazy. No big surprises there!

However, my suggestion for improvement would be - and this is not just to REDLINE, but to EVERYONE - if you see a neat bit of info, copy it, paste it as a new post in the Exhaustive Kitbasher's Guide and give credit where credit is due - to the original writer. Then, when people start threads that ask about which paints to use or how to dye stuff, we've got a one-stop resource that we can say "Also, if myanswer hasn't helped, check out this link."

Just my 5 cents.

14. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having a sticky thread with links. But instead of by creator, I'd rather see links to customs by series, i.e. Alternators, Cybertron, RID, etc. That's how the gallery is organized anyway.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that's a good idea... after that, each link would be clearly labeled as to who the creator was anyway... and I love that sig LOL

Andy

OP, I'd love to see the community help out like that

16. REDLINE

News Credits:
    OKAY, I've talked to some staff about some of these ideas, and here's what I've come away with:

Instead of having a million different threads in the forum, a different one for every custom or idea that someone has... change it to more like the Funnies forum. Each artist would create ONE thread, a running thread. It would be best to have your name incorporated into the title maybe, but since your name IS automatically shown directly below the title, its not REQUIRED. Your first post of your thread would be a Table of Contents for the thread. You probably should separate this by seried (ie. "Alternators/BT" and "G1" like this:

Alternators/BT

REDLINE - See my work in progress pictures!​
    First update
    Second update​

Gallery of Completed Project​

Starscream - Digibash pictures​

The part that says "First update" Would be a link directly to the post in your thread that contained the first update of your work in progress pictures. For those that don't know how to do that, anytime you are reading a thread, at the top right corner of every post on this website there is a number that shows what number post for that particular thread is. For example, THIS is post number #16 of this thread. If you were to right-click the number 16 there, you could select "copy shortcut" and then paste it as a link in your table of contents through the edit post feature. here, try this out:

Progress on forum improvement <-Click me!

By doing things this way, regardless of how old your post is, people would still have a direct link to it, thereby having access to not only your newest customs, but your oldest as well, so this should help to keep discussion of ideas alive, which was probably the strongest complaint for how things are currently!

In addition to everyone having their own thread, I would make a single sticky thread where you would be able to post a note saying that you have updated your thread with "whatever", preferably describing what the update entails, and you could even supply a link to your thread in case it moved to page 2. With everyone following this system, the number of pages to scoure in the forum will also be greatly reduced to make things easier! I can check your notes posted in the sticky thread, and have that added to my post in that thread which would be a list of the different artists, so someone coming in just to read new things can click the sticky, and the first post will show them all the threads that have NEW information. If I didn't do this, then you'd only have new posts to bump your thread, which doesn't indicate that there's actual new content from the project.

Andy

PS: oh, for those that don't know, I used the
    tags to make that list. the sub items I used two tags.​