Please kill that trend

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore Your current user title

News Credits:
    Worst:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Weirdest:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

As long as it doesn't make it to obvious in alt mode and it makes the figure better I'm okay with it

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Fake it if you have to. That's what I dig.

But it's not always possible. Especially with completely made up designs like Prime.

Later version do, such as DOTM, however his head is not only complex, but up until ROTF and DOTM they didn't have models or even very clear pictures of the model to work off.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the fake bits are reasonable I have no problem with it.

5. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there a cheat going on with this mold that I don't remember, or is he just weird?

Legends Jazz is hilarious! And I agree he's probably the worst at faking his parts, even for a Legends figure. RTS Legends Starscream is one who's cheats I'm actually somewhat impressed by, which is an unusual feeling.

DOTM Voyager Prime is an odd beast in that those sculpted tires are a bit lame, but it's also an attempt to show some accuracy in the way they split and rest against his legs. I'm mixed on that one.

In general though, I'm not a big fan of the faked parts. Sometimes they may be necessary or done well, but the more obvious cases are tough to ignore. As a kid, Powermaster Prime's super-faked chest windows were pretty dumb, but seeing later that Ginrai was given his own look made it a bit better. Not a big fan of Prime window cheats.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    His chest is molded to look like the front of the truck.

7. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like fake parts either. No fake tires/wheels, no fake chest (I'm looking at you DOTM Voyager Prime and Prime Prime!), no fake anything. Do it right.

That sounds painful. ;) 

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think they could redo tfp prime to make it transform properly, all it would take is two pins and a slider for the windows, the arms might be a little harder, but not impossible

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

k, then stop complaining about inaccuracy :lol 

10. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker ∆ ▲ ✌ ▲ ∆ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wonder when it was that people forgot that certain toys made by companies like Mattel and Hasbro were more or less targeted at children and not at adults. Or better yet....why people keep forgetting that. :confused: 

11. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Molded in unpainted tired are the worst looking.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n garbageman

News Credits:
    Agreed with the power of a thousand suns.

Why leave an important detail out because they couldn't engineer it in such a way a piece is placed there? I think with a toy, there should really be some leeway.

But they should at least paint some of it, yes.

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the only time it should be done is when it would hinder the toy to have the real parts used, RTS Laser Optimus Prime for instance would have been better if it used a faux chest rather than the actual cab windows as it led to bad arm kibble.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, at least paint the center. but the worst, is the brown/grey tires on the ratchet rotf repaint. :lol  it just looks so weird :lol  and lazy!

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    LOL! 100% agree.

16. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

They should have learned that by now. Isn't it exactly what killed Beast Machines way back then? Right after Beast Wars seasons 2 and 3, which had just given us the most show accurate toy line ever at the time, how stupid must a toy company executive be to pull a "BM"?

17. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    New sig material! Thanks!

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I got DOTM DLX Soundwave yesterday and they gave him a fake chest... even though the real front grill can be placed in the exact same position! How retarded is that? Instead of molding a fake torso/grill on the piece that goes over it (the real grill folds inside the torso), they just had to mold only a lower torso for that piece and it would have been perfect. Still a very cool toy even though the HA version is much better. I like how the legs transform. The head looks better all painted silver too.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 Gotta know when to fold..

News Credits:
    An old gripe but, gray plastic instead of silver. (I.E. deluxe soundwave)

20. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    gray plastic is indeed a bit of a lame sub for silver I know it saves money but IMO silver and chrome can make a meh toy something interesting.

As for fake parts... it depends

if the fake part only has a passing resemblance to what its imitiating then I'm cool with it as I can just pretend its something else and everyone is happy. E.G G2 primes chest, voyager primes windows and Classics primes chest grill

however as is the case of legends Jazz when they just clearly have the car chest stuck on the roof and still have the front of the car on his legs its just distracting and breaks the illusion. Now I understand that in that case it was cost effective but ugly is still ugly.

for my own idea I cant stand gimmicks that clearly just dominate the whole toy e.g. Armada Side Swipe he's a 4door Skyline GTS-T with an interesting transformation all good so far but his minicon storage and fists just sacrifice too much playability to justify themselves

Oh I forgot jet kibble. I know that its something we will always have but when DLX space case can pull off a near perfect altmode why does Voyager jetfire have to have his arms just at his sides? just seems crazy and when you consider its a macross nod with such a meh transformation is just sad.