Please help me with suggestions of rare transformers for my collection.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by makbar1369, Sep 3, 2011.

1. makbar1369

makbar1369 Member

I know this request may have been answered numerous times. I am trying to improve and expand my collection. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance. Below is a list of some rare transformers that collectors have provided me with.
    • Diaclone Browning
    • Grand maximus
    • Blue Swoop
    • Ridged Grimlock
    • Blue Diaclone Bluestreak
    • Sky garry
    • Deftwing
    • Fortress Maximus
    • Shockwave
    • Black Zarack
    • Deathsaurus
    • Grandus
    • Overlord
    • Victory saber
    • Blue Bacchus
    • Black shadow
    • Raiden
    • Decibel
    • Zaur

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    With Black Zarak, you MIGHT want to consider just getting a regular G1 Scorponok customized into a Black Zarak replica. Some people have made casted replicas of the retooled bits from Black Zarak, and while it wouldn't actually be as valuable as a true Black Zarak, the replica wouldn't suffer from GPS like the real deal and so be actually displayable, much less be able to be handled without falling to bits.

3. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

Should probably start with Aveo Swerve (mid range rareness) and go from there.
    Also while you have Victory Saber, it should be Star Saber and Victory Leo which are the two components which make Victory Saber.

4. Starstriker

Starstriker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go for gold.

Finnish Diaclone Black Tracks
    Powered Convoy Deluxe set with red mirage and black sideswip.
    Gold campaign prize Diaclone Jazz

Just some of the rare toys that have really set the bar for me.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you plan on getting all of those be prepared to spend several thousands of dollars.

6. Starstriker

News Credits:

Oh do you mean this? hehe. GMFan of Cybertron.ca had a bunch. I got mine from him.

[​IMG]

7. Starstriker

News Credits:
  8. makbar1369

makbar1369 Member

"If you plan on getting all of those be prepared to spend several thousands of dollars." Batman

Actually I am not getting them all at the same time lol. I have recently stopped investing the stock market, since my portfolio has gone to hell and sold some of my shares. I rather invest in my TF collection. Thank you for the advice.

9. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Sky Garry is not rare anymore, and look out for KO's on the dino-cassettes, I read somewhere they were coming soon.
    Some of the items Starstriker initially suggested will take you a good amount of time and $$$ to acquire......those are true "grail" items.

If you are buying for investment purposes, condition, condition, condition........

10. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

not super rare but a great fig is the black rotf prime. its one of the few exclusives i really wanted and can be had for very little i got mine for like 80 but dont see too many people with this guy.

11. Starstriker

News Credits:
    If you are referring to the Diaclones I mentioned. "several thousands of dollars" would only get you one of those toys.

Seriously though, about Diaclones, there has been a paradigm shift in the value of Diaclones. Visit the Diaclone collector group for more info, but basically it boils down to a few collectors throwing crazy money at Diaclone recently, thereby drastically raising the bar on Diaclone Prices.

For instance, a Marlboor variant wheeljack is going for over $2k!!! When it used to fetch maybe $1000.

12. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    My signature has appeared in somebody else's picture. I now feel famous.:bay 

Anyways, I do second the idea of going after Aveo Swerve first. He's fairly easy to find, although for a good price you'll have to look hard and get lucky (got mine $45 shipped for free first class about two months ago from the 'bay). He is also one of the most unique Transformers out there, being the only official Transformer that Hasbro truly has no control over in terms of production runs.

13. Starstriker

News Credits:
    Is that really true? Im sure production runs maybe controlled by Hasbro but a simple fact remains, There is always a minimum limit. either it is number of toys produced or a large dollar number. Throw enough money at Hasbro they will make you a one off toy and as many you want after that.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Just a word of advice, if you plan to treat Transformers as a pure investment, keep in mind that the potential buying market is definitely limited, and the item highly subject to fluctuations in price or other concerns i.e. what if the plastic degrades etc? You might find that in the time it comes to sell, you might not find the price you're looking for.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're looking for non-G1 suggestions:

Beast Wars Neo Black Big Convoy
    Car Robots God Fire Convoy gift set
    Galaxy Force Sonic Convoy gift set
    eHobby Anime Astrotrain
    Telemocha Waspinator
    WST Thundercracker
    Botcon Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, Alpha Trion, and Darksyde Megatron
    Botcon Custom Class G2 Sideswipe and Animated Minerva
    Henkei Classics Wildrider and Convoy Clear Version

With the G1s you listed, you may already have your hands full, but if you want to broaden your search to other cool items, the stuff above may be worth your while. I own most of those and can vouch for many as nice pieces to own.

16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Well, I know the rights to the mold belong to Chevy, and thus far the only times the figure has seen release was the original overseas release where people had to pay through the nose in order to get the figure, then more recently he was given away for free in limited numbers at one or two specialized conventions in Canada.

17. Starstriker

News Credits:
    Dont forget the original release. I thought you got it free when you testdrive a Chevy Aveo or something to that nature.

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    How about this guy?

Scopeman shows up every once in a while & IMO, He's definitely one of the better Microchange figures that isn't gonna break the bank... :lol 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. makbar1369

makbar1369 Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am just trying to grow my collection with some of the coolest and rarest figures. I wanted to collect since I was a kid, but didnt have the money. So now I collect not just for pure investment, but mostly for personal and sentimental reasons.

What do you guys think is a reasonable price for the 2008 botcon shattered glass box set?

20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Well, according to what Hasbro said about Aveo Swerve back at Botcon 2008, the Aveo mold was originally created for Chevy to be used as part of a test drive promotion, as you said, in European markets.

The thing is, the testdrive promotion never actually seems to have been followed through, as no records of it actually happening seem to exist and had it happened, I'm sure our fellow board members or other TF sites in general would have reported it. The first time the toy was reportedly available to be aquired by any means was when Aveo Swerve was sold online in extremely limited quantity, and the prices jacked up to ridiculous levels because of various stupid "shipping and handling" costs.

He's made some more appearances, recently, as free giveaways as part of various GM-sponsored raffles with a bigger prize at stake. He's still not anywhere near as common as some of the rarer mass-release figures *cough*Windcharger*cough* but he's easy enough to find for a reasonable price in my opinion.